Kepa Arrizabalaga

JaneB

12 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We have conceded 28 league goals this season.

Arsenal 26, Man City 25.

We have scored 29

Arsenal have 66, Man City 67.

The defence and GK have not been the problem.

See, I don’t look at it like this.

It might just be your use of the phrase  “the problem”  but football is rarely about solving a single isolated problem, but more about marginal incremental gains.  Why would we restricting ourselves to only improving the attack?  We’re still behind Arsenal and Man City for goals conceded so as far as I’m concerned there’s still work to be done.    

We’ve had five score-draws this season which means we’re on course for probably 7 or 8 overall.  Absolutely no reason why a better keeper wouldn’t have turned a few of those into wins, which in turn might be the difference of 4-6 points.  Furthermore, we’ve had five 1-0 losses this season.  Again, you only need a couple of those to finish 0-0 and it’s a big improvement points-wise. 

I see quite a few arguments pro-Kepa  that are basically along the lines of “I admit he’s not top class but we have more pressing issues to address” - but that is not an argument to justify keeping a player who fundamentally isn’t at the required level - especially when fees for goalkeepers are generally  more sensible. 

Of course it goes without saying we have to address our lack of goals in the summer, but it’s glaringly obvious to me that the priorities should be Number 9,  Number 6 and a new No 1.  (Assuming Nkunku is already done, as widely reported) 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I see quite a few arguments pro-Kepa  that are basically along the lines of “I admit he’s not top class but we have more pressing issues to address” - but that is not an argument to justify keeping a player who fundamentally isn’t at the required level - especially when fees for goalkeepers are generally  more sensible. 

Of course it goes without saying we have to address our lack of goals in the summer, but it’s glaringly obvious to me that the priorities should be Number 9,  Number 6 and a new No 1.  (Assuming Nkunku is already done, as widely reported) 

As you've sort of acknowledged later on there's a priority system in place when it comes to what signings we need to be making first, the goalkeeping one isn't at the top right now. I have no real doubts we'll address the position in the summer, but it won't be Kepa that's ultimately replaced but the more cumbersome Mendy.  

From there it'll likely be a battle for the #1 role between Kepa and whoever we sign, which is healthy competition to have. Kepa's been one of the better keepers in the league this season, in fact he's actually been one of the better performing ones in world football. He of course has his weaknesses, but so do keepers like Alisson and others who are generally seen as far superior. 

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

See, I don’t look at it like this.

It might just be your use of the phrase  “the problem”  but football is rarely about solving a single isolated problem, but more about marginal incremental gains.  Why would we restricting ourselves to only improving the attack?  We’re still behind Arsenal and Man City for goals conceded so as far as I’m concerned there’s still work to be done.    

We’ve had five score-draws this season which means we’re on course for probably 7 or 8 overall.  Absolutely no reason why a better keeper wouldn’t have turned a few of those into wins, which in turn might be the difference of 4-6 points.  Furthermore, we’ve had five 1-0 losses this season.  Again, you only need a couple of those to finish 0-0 and it’s a big improvement points-wise. 

Ok. We have conceded 28,  less than a goal a game. Realistically, with a prime Cech, what, without being silly, does that number look like? 20 at a push? We haven't been that good defensively that we can argue we deserve to have conceded that much less.

So in that scenario, conceding 20, scoring 29.......We'd still be miles away. 

How many games have we scored more than once? It's a pitiful number. I am not saying we wouldn't be better off with a prime Cech, of course we would, but the difference made by a prime Drogba or Costa would be SO much more impactful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xceleryx said:

As you've sort of acknowledged later on there's a priority system in place when it comes to what signings we need to be making first, the goalkeeping one isn't at the top right now. I have no real doubts we'll address the position in the summer, but it won't be Kepa that's ultimately replaced but the more cumbersome Mendy.  

From there it'll likely be a battle for the #1 role between Kepa and whoever we sign, which is healthy competition to have. Kepa's been one of the better keepers in the league this season, in fact he's actually been one of the better performing ones in world football. He of course has his weaknesses, but so do keepers like Alisson and others who are generally seen as far superior. 

My sixpeneth....Accepting that Allison and the Citeh guy are the top two....there really are no exceptional keepers in the EPL at this time...a lot of very good "average" EPL keepers..again not a derogatory reference...all capable of exceptionable games but no absolute top class as say PC.

The "top two" are making mistakes but especially at Citeh usually enough goals to cancel them out...not so at Chelsea.

My feeling is that any keeper in the EPL at Chelsea would look less than reliable. An unfair picture.

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Ok. We have conceded 28,  less than a goal a game. Realistically, with a prime Cech, what, without being silly, does that number look like? 20 at a push? We haven't been that good defensively that we can argue we deserve to have conceded that much less.

So in that scenario, conceding 20, scoring 29.......We'd still be miles away. 

How many games have we scored more than once? It's a pitiful number. I am not saying we wouldn't be better off with a prime Cech, of course we would, but the difference made by a prime Drogba or Costa would be SO much more impactful.

Yeah possibly not even 20 to be fair, but even if a better goalie reduced the number conceded to 23 or 24,  those extra points might be the difference between 5th and 4th next season.  

And I completely agree with your last paragraph, but I suppose what I’m saying is that as it stands, we’ve got no reason to make it either-or.   

If the time comes where it’s either a striker or a new goalie then prioritising a striker is a no brainer, but I personally think we will try and acquire for both positions come the summer - and rightly so. 

8 hours ago, chara said:

My sixpeneth....Accepting that Allison and the Citeh guy are the top two....there really are no exceptional keepers in the EPL at this time...a lot of very good "average" EPL keepers..again not a derogatory reference...all capable of exceptionable games but no absolute top class as say PC.

The "top two" are making mistakes but especially at Citeh usually enough goals to cancel them out...not so at Chelsea.

My feeling is that any keeper in the EPL at Chelsea would look less than reliable. An unfair picture.

This I agree with. 

The effectiveness of a keeper also extends to what the outfield players ahead are doing themselves, something I touched on in another post discussing Kepa. If you allow teams to get into good attacking positions, to take more shots in favourable scoring areas, you're putting your keeper in a compromising position from the beginning. You can't expect a keeper to dig you out of every hole, irrespective if it's Kepa or prime Cech or Buffon. 

Outside of the "top two" there's not really a current Premier League goalkeeper that I see raises the bar in any true significant way. 

On 19/03/2023 at 09:51, Rob B said:

It’s not a one-off.  Kepa is not good enough and never has been.

Below is a compilation from like the last 10 games.   Over a season he costs you 9-12 points easily.   And I think I’m being really generous there. 

Thank you, for a moment I thought I was the one who had completely lost my mind. I’m at loss how anyone can claim Kepa is anything but underwhelming at best. 

Someone calling him just below elite??? What?!?!?

Kepa  was having a decent enough season but the mistakes have crept back in over the last couple of months. He's got stick for the second goal, but a taller, stronger, more confident and dominating keeper would also have come out and punched the cross from which they scored their first goal.

I like his character and was willing him to become the keeper we paid a ton of money for but I'm afraid that will never happen! We need a very steady 7 or 8/10 level keeper rather than a 6 who sometimes reaches that higher level. Same can be said for quite a few of our players too btw.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Kepa  was having a decent enough season but the mistakes have crept back in over the last couple of months. He's got stick for the second goal, but a taller, stronger, more confident and dominating keeper would also have come out and punched the cross from which they scored their first goal.

I like his character and was willing him to become the keeper we paid a ton of money for but I'm afraid that will never happen! We need a very steady 7 or 8/10 level keeper rather than a 6 who sometimes reaches that higher level. Same can be said for quite a few of our players too btw.

Good a summing up as any and fairer than many comments to include other players...Kepa is not a problem in isolation.

7 hours ago, chara said:

Good a summing up as any and fairer than many comments to include other players...Kepa is not a problem in isolation.

Agree with you chara.

Kepa has cost us some points but our lack of goals has cost us a lot more!  I Unlike City, Arsenal and Liverpool of previous years, we can't put ganes to bed long before the end. Week in week out our games are going into the final minutes with points still up for grabs and sooner or later that must start taking a mental toll on the players constantly having to fight for every point for 90 minutes every game. We know we are in trouble against any team which scores one goal.  Our young players trying to make their way can't start or come on and play in a relaxed and confident team.  All of this is down to lack of goals and creativity, not Kepa! 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Bison said:

FspmnhOXgAA86Gi?format=jpg&name=large

Having an amazing season, Kepa! Totally redeemed himself! Least of our worries!

Might be worth using a stat for this season as opposed to one for the past 5 years if your gonna dig him out for his current performances.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Might be worth using a stat for this season as opposed to one for the past 5 years if your gonna dig him out for his current performances.

Kepa is not very high on the list of  the club’s current problems. 

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Kepa is not very high on the list of  the club’s current problems. 

He is for me and I suspect many others. 

He is a horrendous goalkeeper and should be moved on at the first available opportunity. No serious club has somebody like Kepa in goal for them. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bison said:

He is a horrendous goalkeeper and should be moved on at the first available opportunity. No serious club has somebody like Kepa in goal for them. 

Me and @paulw66 had a ding dong a couple of season ago about ramesdale which he was correct.  
Should the Arse win the league then the myth of needing a WC keeper to win the league is out of the window. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bison said:

We're not a serious club .

We're a project .

An experiment into how many pats on the back a CEO can get from his investment buddies for turning Champions of the World into relegation candidates before "cleverly" rebuilding them to a top four side .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

Mendy will be sold first because he's got two left feet and is slow off his line, and as demonstrated cannot be trusted in a side that likes to build from the back and utilise their keeper as an outlet. He's also complained about his contract and talks have seemingly stalled. 

Kepa on the other hand has a deal until 2025 and simply earns more money than any other side is going to match. 

12 hours ago, Bison said:

Totally agree ....This club will win nothing with him between the sticks...Very rarely makes a worldie  that keeps us in a game and although the defence is poor at times a better goalie  would, i like to think ,organize them better....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Here you go, last 5 games for club and country:

A tragic keeper we can't get rid of because he's grossly overpaid.

We're stuck with him until that contract expires but let's hope our next manager doesn't care about that and exiles him to the u18s. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 16:55, Bison said:

Here you go, last 5 games for club and country:

A tragic keeper we can't get rid of because he's grossly overpaid.

We're stuck with him until that contract expires but let's hope our next manager doesn't care about that and exiles him to the u18s. 

• (Goal One) - Shit defending, had no real chance unless he produced an absolutely worldie of a save. 
  • (Goal Two) - Again, would've taken a top draw save to prevent. Both the front and reverse angle showcase he had little sight of the ball as it passed through bodies so would've picked it up extremely late.
  • (Goal Three) - Probably should've done better, but also at full stretch and if anything his lack of size was the biggest factor here opposed to poor technique. Gotta credit the strike as well, it was hit crispy and was always curling away making it even harder.
  • (Clip Four) - Right decision to punch imo, but just didn't get either the direction or the power on it to clear it properly. Could also criticise the defence for leaving a man unmarked on the edge of the box. 
  • (Goal Four) - The weakest attempt of the lot and should've made the save. 
  • (Goal Five) - Absolute rocket of a shot, likely a goal 8/10 times in all fairness and travelled through  several bodies. 
  • (Clip Seven) - Poor communication between keeper and defenders, didn't get enough on the punch either and wasn't helped by the fact Loftus-Cheek showed zero awareness of a man behind him on the second ball. 
  • (Goal Six) - Not really much he could do, awful defending by Spain and looks at least on that clip it got a deflection beyond Kepa. 
  • (Goal Seven) - I mean left completely on an island because of the prior defensive mishap, not all that much he could've done in fairness. Damned if he rushed right out and got rounded, damned if he stayed on his line and invited the striker closer. 

Overall besides a couple of moments I don't see many other keepers doing a whole lot better in most cases. Hugely let down by some school boy defending ahead of him on an all too regular basis. The one thing that gets really highlighted though is his ability in the air and getting a strong fist on the ball, but this has been known already as one of his biggest weaknesses. 

I think we can certainly find ourselves a better keeper, but Kepa isn't why we're in the shitter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:
  • (Goal One) - Shit defending, had no real chance unless he produced an absolutely worldie of a save. 
  • (Goal Two) - Again, would've taken a top draw save to prevent. Both the front and reverse angle showcase he had little sight of the ball as it passed through bodies so would've picked it up extremely late.
  • (Goal Three) - Probably should've done better, but also at full stretch and if anything his lack of size was the biggest factor here opposed to poor technique. Gotta credit the strike as well, it was hit crispy and was always curling away making it even harder.
  • (Clip Four) - Right decision to punch imo, but just didn't get either the direction or the power on it to clear it properly. Could also criticise the defence for leaving a man unmarked on the edge of the box. 
  • (Goal Four) - The weakest attempt of the lot and should've made the save. 
  • (Goal Five) - Absolute rocket of a shot, likely a goal 8/10 times in all fairness and travelled through  several bodies. 
  • (Clip Seven) - Poor communication between keeper and defenders, didn't get enough on the punch either and wasn't helped by the fact Loftus-Cheek showed zero awareness of a man behind him on the second ball. 
  • (Goal Six) - Not really much he could do, awful defending by Spain and looks at least on that clip it got a deflection beyond Kepa. 
  • (Goal Seven) - I mean left completely on an island because of the prior defensive mishap, not all that much he could've done in fairness. Damned if he rushed right out and got rounded, damned if he stayed on his line and invited the striker closer. 

Overall besides a couple of moments I don't see many other keepers doing a whole lot better in most cases. Hugely let down by some school boy defending ahead of him on an all too regular basis. The one thing that gets really highlighted though is his ability in the air and getting a strong fist on the ball, but this has been known already as one of his biggest weaknesses. 

I think we can certainly find ourselves a better keeper, but Kepa isn't why we're in the shitter. 

Totally agree, some people just dont like him. I kind of get that due to the petulance with Sarri but he is the least of our worries atm

4 hours ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Totally agree, some people just dont like him. I kind of get that due to the petulance with Sarri but he is the least of our worries atm

Easy target.... not the best keeper Chelsea have had but not the worst.. all who remember the second "PB" will smile and shake their heads.

In all honesty as mentioned before the level of keeping across the EPL is pretty uniform.. not a lot to choose from who would be a real upgrade..and I mean UP grade not a bit better.

Try the "Why" with the goal rather than knee jerk "He should have got that!"...and try and see the behind the goal view any keeper has...revealing if you watch properly.

Again..for any justified criticism ...little mention of the excellent block on Diego....Kepa is not the main reason things are as they are....

• Like 1