Kepa Arrizabalaga

JaneB

Funny how every bad player doesn't seem to be the reason why things are the way they are.

Havertz, Kepa, Kovacic etc you name it. Every rubbish player has his defenders. Makes you wonder why we aren't winning the league with a squad full of supposedly excellent players. 

So strange. 

Edited by Bison

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

Funny how every bad player doesn't seem to be the reason why things are the way they are.

Havertz, Kepa, Kovacic etc you name it. Every rubbish player has his defenders. Makes you wonder why we aren't winning the league with a squad full of supposedly excellent players. 

So strange. 

I think we can look and see some improvements with Kepa bar a couple of sub par recent performances he's been quite good this season after a torrid time to begin his Chelsea career. 

He really is the least of our problems. 

And here's me thinking good teams stem from the back......''“A great goalkeeper is worth 15 points over the course of a season,” Sir Alex Ferguson once famously said .... Kepa is not that man,never has been and never will be.

Aside from the poor saves ,I'm not sure there is much in the way of him organizing the defense either .....And i'm sure that plays a large part in any  successful side with great keepers....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liquidator said:

And here's me thinking good teams stem from the back......''“A great goalkeeper is worth 15 points over the course of a season,” Sir Alex Ferguson once famously said .... Kepa is not that man,never has been and never will be.

Aside from the poor saves ,I'm not sure there is much in the way of him organizing the defense either .....And i'm sure that plays a large part in any  successful side with great keepers....

Some perspective...Kepa is not a GREAT goalkeeper but neither are most of the current EPL group...good of course..it's a tough league and I think the top two are very very good but not GREAT.

The lack of goals at the other end means usually no margins for error and no cushion to allow for weakness anywhere.

Quote..The evil men do etc..... so be it with Kepa?

Lot of justified criticism but look how often the result of games has 0 as Chelsea goals and 1 as the conceded goals.

Kepa is not the root of Chelsea issues... not as good a keeper that any challenging side needs but the best of an average trio..just about..Mendy will not come back at the highest level he produced.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, chara said:

Kepa is not the root of Chelsea issues...

Imo, to blame Kepa for our problems is missing the point completely. We don't have a proper holding midfielder, and we don't have a top striker. We need to fix both those glaring problems, before arguing about Kepa. Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, Liquidator said:

Disagree - Only because @paulw66 convinced me Ramsdale was toilet, and now it looks like he may win a PL winner medal. 

That said I put it down to most of the top teams having a toilet season.

Edited by ROTG

35 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Disagree - Only because @paulw66 convinced me Ramsdale was toilet, and now it looks like he may win a PL winner medal. 

That said I put it down to most of the top teams having a toilet season.

Ramsdale will be the worst goalkeeper to ever win the premier League, if it happens.

It's a combination of most of the top teams having a toilet season and Arsenal doing a Leicester. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a horrendous goalkeeper in every way possible. The myth that he's good with his feet is the only thing going for him and even that is completely unwarranted.

I genuinely hope that was his final game for the club on Tuesday. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

We could definitely do better though but he's a nice lad.

Dave Beasant was a nice lad too (with smashing hair) but he wasn’t a great keeper either!

I think if we’re to mount a serious assault on the top half of the table next season we definitely need a better keeper than Kepa.

I have just been looking through the stats for EPL GKs. Stats are never the whole story, but Kepa's save percentages are pretty good (about third in the league). Where he falls down is stopping crosses and distance passing out (i.e. throws and kicks).  I could put the latter down to not having people in space up front. I think the crossing thing is a genuine issue. He's far from perfect, but I would prefer to focus on our failure to score goals and work on the crosses in training because it's a "whole defence" issue.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bison said:

Sometimes I really feel like this forum is bizarro world when I see player of the season shouts for Kepa and talk about him being the least of our worries. 

just goes to show how awful everyone else has been !

• Agree 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

just goes to show how awful everyone else has been !

A Kepa POTY in what is legitimately the season from hell is very fitting. In fact, it would be the perfect send off for him. 

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2023 at 19:20, Bison said:

Just a horrendous goalkeeper in every way possible. The myth that he's good with his feet is the only thing going for him and even that is completely unwarranted.

I genuinely hope that was his final game for the club on Tuesday. 

Rather than looking at a deliberately selected still, revisit the actual footage of the goal itself and watch Kepa closely. 

This isn't the sort of goal that you pin on a goalkeeper. All of Kepa's momentum is going the other way as he's had to shuffle across as the ball gets cut back inside, he's then had to readjust and propel himself in the opposite direction back from where he was coming from, and still manages to get enough lift to get finger tips on it. 

If anything his lack of height hurts him most here, apart from the woefully inept defending and closing down before the strike even occurred.

32 minutes ago, Bison said:

A Kepa POTY in what is legitimately the season from hell is very fitting. In fact, it would be the perfect send off for him. 

Be careful what you wish for , we keep getting linked with the ludicrous Onana who makes Kepa look like vintage Cech.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Be careful what you wish for , we keep getting linked with the ludicrous Onana who makes Kepa look like vintage Cech.

Yes, those rumours keep reappearing. Been linked with him for a few windows now. Nothing ever comes of it - thankfully - but it's a little worrying nonetheless just in case the rumours turn into fact.

42 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Rather than looking at a deliberately selected still, revisit the actual footage of the goal itself and watch Kepa closely. 

This isn't the sort of goal that you pin on a goalkeeper. All of Kepa's momentum is going the other way as he's had to shuffle across as the ball gets cut back inside, he's then had to readjust and propel himself in the opposite direction back from where he was coming from, and still manages to get enough lift to get finger tips on it. 

If anything his lack of height hurts him most here, apart from the woefully inept defending and closing down before the strike even occurred.

It's exactly the sort of goal you pin on a goalkeeper with tiny arms, poor leaping ability and bad footwork.

Bad defending doesn't always result in a a goal. I see keepers often make saves to bail out their defenders. But unfortunately for us, bad defending is almost always compounded by even worse goalkeeping from Kepa. 

I really need to find the thread where a goalkeeper studied Kepa's footwork when he's about to dive and labelled it amateurish.

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

It's exactly the sort of goal you pin on a goalkeeper with tiny arms, poor leaping ability and bad footwork.

Bad defending doesn't always result in a a goal. I see keepers often make saves to bail out their defenders. But unfortunately for us, bad defending is almost always compounded by even worse goalkeeping from Kepa. 

I really need to find the thread where a goalkeeper studied Kepa's footwork when he's about to dive and labelled it amateurish.

Nothing about this goal was down to poor leaping ability or bad foot work, in fact both of these were perfectly fine and where a big part in Kepa being able to adjust and even get fingers onto it. Maybe a taller keeper saves it, maybe a taller keeper also has slower reactions, it's all a game of "what if's". 

Bad defending certainly makes the job of the keeper that much harder though, while Kepa's made several huge saves this season to either keep us in games, win points, or reduce the likelihood of a cricket score being racked up.

• Like 1