The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

On 21/05/2024 at 20:05, My Blood Is Blue said:

Claudio Ranieri has retired from football. Great guy, started off the build of our wonderful team and of course win the amazing title with Leicester.

Happy retirement Claudio.

Ahh the original Tinker Man. What a smashing fella though. Not enough people in football like Claudio. 
In many ways his departure signalled the emergence of Chelsea as a major force because JM was waiting in the wings. But what an interesting up and down career CR had in football. He will always be welcomed back here….back hang on a minute ….I wonder if he fancies one last coaching job before he gets his retirement clock? 😉

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

One of my favourite people in football ever.  So happy for him that he won that title with Leicester.

He's been back to the Bridge and should always be welcomed again with open arms.

Lovely lovely man 🥰

Seemed a decent person and echo the sentiments made……………BUT those memories of the complete balls-up he made of the 2004 CL Semi-Final against Monaco still haunts the recesses of my mind. A monumental set of mistakes.

However, had he got it right, the Jose appointment might have never happened, so every cloud and all that.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, east lower said:

Seemed a decent person and echo the sentiments made……………BUT those memories of the complete balls-up he made of the 2004 CL Semi-Final against Monaco still haunts the recesses of my mind. A monumental set of mistakes.

However, had he got it right, the Jose appointment might have never happened, so every cloud and all that.

Oh I know he wasn't the best manager in the world but you just couldn't help but love him (well I couldn't).

I remember being furious at the way he was treated  before Jose was appointed.  Proud Man Walking and all that.  But I'm afraid even I was seduced by Jose's charisma and the rest is history.

Didn't he have a dog called Ruud as well? 

I hope he has a long and happy retirement.  One of life's nice guys.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, JaneB said:

If you mean Claudio, then I only recall a dog called Bellini - he named it Bellini after the famous Italian painter - he likes art and culture and this was a tribute to the artist.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Oh I know he wasn't the best manager in the world but you just couldn't help but love him (well I couldn't).

I remember being furious at the way he was treated  before Jose was appointed.  Proud Man Walking and all that.  But I'm afraid even I was seduced by Jose's charisma and the rest is history.

I hope he has a long and happy retirement.  One of life's nice guys.  

The image of him in tears after that famous last day of the season 2-1 win against Liverpool and the implications that game had, also lives long in the memory - A good one, as well as the other one.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2024 at 20:05, My Blood Is Blue said:

Claudio Ranieri has retired from football. Great guy, started off the build of our wonderful team and of course win the amazing title with Leicester.

Happy retirement Claudio.

Seconded.  Built the foundations for Mourinho and other managers, and gave us Lampard, JT, Joe Cole to name but a few.  Enjoy your retirement Claudio.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I know JT hasn’t exactly behaved well at times and all but…my god do we need him back at Chelsea as #2. 🙌🏻🩶✌️💯

Probably one of the best scoring centre backs this country has ever seen. 

Those two give me goose bumps. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Yes please!! ✌️🩷🙌🏻

Why exactly? 

He's incredibly average. Missed most of last season with injury, was awful in the games he did play, and majority of Roma fans aren't bothered by his prospective sale. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Why exactly? 

He's incredibly average. Missed most of last season with injury, was awful in the games he did play, and majority of Roma fans aren't bothered by his prospective sale. 

(I don’t care what they think). I just think Tammy is a very good striker. That’s all. I don’t know what more I can tell you, though you do seem a bit cross 🤣🩶👀💯

13 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

(I don’t care what they think). I just think Tammy is a very good striker. That’s all. I don’t know what more I can tell you, though you do seem a bit cross 🤣🩶👀💯

He came from the Chelsea academy, hence a certain member usual comments on academy players. If he were a mid table player the club were going to pay over the odds for he would be the polar opposite with his comments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Barely cross lol.

Was perplexed more than anything. I mean, that's still the case. He's not very good and all, but each to their own.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He's not very good and all, but each to their own.

Each to their own indeed, but at the age of 26 he is averaging a goal every 159 minutes across the Premier League, Championship and Serie A.

Including his breakout year for us where he got 18 goals (15 PL, 3 CL) at the age of 21/22. 

Selling Tammy was one of the worst decisions that Tuchel made IMO and that is coming from someone who thinks he is a great coach. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rob B said:

Each to their own indeed, but at the age of 26 he is averaging a goal every 159 minutes across the Premier League, Championship and Serie A.

Including his breakout year for us where he got 18 goals (15 PL, 3 CL) at the age of 21/22. 

Selling Tammy was one of the worst decisions that Tuchel made IMO and that is coming from someone who thinks he is a great coach. 

Sure, his overall record isn't necessarily awful but it also doesn't really paint an accurate picture either.

I certainly wouldn't want to be spending the sort of money Roma would be wanting, given their initial investment, on someone that spent all of last season injured, was poor in the games he did play, and was also below the level needed the season prior. He's had two "good" seasons at a top flight level in his career. 

You then look at the value he adds elsewhere in games and his influence wanes significantly. He's not very good in possession, creatively there's not much there, and he doesn't exactly make defenders life particularly difficult. We've got a player better in Jackson already. 

Whether he should've been sold initially is a different discussion, it' however happened and in no way should we be trying to bring him back (which thankfully doesn't look likely anyway). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Mourinho off to Fenerbache on a 2 year contract. 

Lines up well with Martinez's contract at Portugal expiring after the 2026 World Cup. 

Could see him dip his toes into the International scene if he manages to see out the full two years in Turkey. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Mourinho off to Fenerbache on a 2 year contract. 

Mourinho managing one of the top two in Turkey looks a perfect fit to me. It definitely is a reflection of his stock right now, but it also has the look of the most perfect environment and league for him to be working in.

Passionate fans with a degree of craziness,  hated main rivals allowing him to create that atmosphere he thrives with, older experienced players to work with, some money available to spend, european football (i presume), that little bit of skullduggery that is present in the league. You couldn't pick a more perfect place for Mourinho to excel as a manager, using many of his old proven ways from 15-20 years back.

• Like 4