The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

@Sciatika,,,so many but for me Ossie at the OT replay..for so many reasons..I was there..it was Leeds ,,magic from Cookie and the ultimate two fingers to Revie and co....Webby just provided the wonderful nail in the coffin.

But so many,,from Tommy Harmer's "intimate touch" at Roker Park to Caicedo from the halfway line....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Just watching some fo the goals that had previously won the GOTS.

Goal of the Season: A look back at six of the best previous winners | News | Official Site | Chelsea Football Club (chelseafc.com)

Essien against Barce in 2009. I have to keep watching it over and over. I genuinely think it is my all-time favourite goal. 

Brilliant goal that one, should have been a goal in a victory as well. Definitely up there for me.

So hard to choose a favourite, especially without looking back at them (haven’t followed the link yet), but a couple that instantly spring to my mind:

Di Matteo’s then record breaking goal in the FA Cup final.

Zola vs Wimbledon, in the FA Cup, it was a lovely goal but it’s also just associated with my childhood and good memories as well. His flick from the corner vs Norwich up there as well.

Drogba vs Everton, late winner… control, spin, volley from far out and flew in. What a hit.

Hazard vs Arsenal, when he took it from the half way line and the Arsenal players just couldn’t get near him and those that did just bounced off him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hazard solo run against Liverpool and Arsenal, Vialli against Liverpool (or Trondheim), Drogba turn and shoot against Liverpool, John Spencer on a one-man counterattack, Kerry against the Arse, Lamps against Bayern or Barce, Zola against Norwich or Hud's non-goal against Norwich. So many to choose from. 

• Like 3

There are often moments of magic in the goals, but sometimes how they made you feel at the time. I was in a pub not far from the ground when Drogba potted away the pen and the reaction of the fans is my abiding memory of that moment. Often is, when I think about it, even when at the ground. Mickey Thomas against Wednesday was like that. 

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

@Sciatika,,,so true..... was behind the goal for Hudson's non goal,,,and missed RDM's goal as it took us longer to get to St Martin by open boat than we hoped....but both stick in the memory!

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Bit of an off the wall one for me, can't remember the opposition (Betis maybe) but SWP runs down the right wing and cuts a cross back for Hernan Crespo ( who I loved) to bullet in a header, simple but beautiful. 

It was a moment when I genuinely thought SWP might become a great Chelsea player. There were a couple if goals in a 4-1(?) win against West Ham at the Boleyn, as well. Sadly, my main memory of the Betis game, at least I think it was that one, was their green stripey shirts. I think I may have indulged a little too much before the game. 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Demba Ba against the dippers should always be up there with the best 😀

Great example of the goal ..whilst well taken and worthy ....being part of a bigger moment,,Demba Ba Day isn't just a great "insider" smile...and..like Webby's "nail"...the second one just adds more value!

Anyone recall any other "Nails" goals?...too late at night for me to focus but anyone?

Nailbiting games? JT against Everton (the celebration on the wall), a Lamps winner against Stoke under BFS (was that Stoch and Di Santo playing for us). Jorge putting away a 94th minute penalty against Leeds, and Alonso against Man City in the same year. Even FloMo against Stoke in 2009.

One of my favourite goals was by Paul Furlong, of all people, v Everton I think: Gullitt's 60 yard pass to Petrescu, who trapped, swivelled and sent a perfect pass to Furlong, who took it in his stride and stroked it in.

I looked at a compilation of Furlong's Chelsea goals and in that compilation he looks as good a striker as any we have had; a salutory lesson perhaps.

• Agree 2

Just now, RDCW said:

One of my favourite goals was by Paul Furlong, of all people, v Everton I think: Gullitt's 60 yard pass to Petrescu, who trapped, swivelled and sent a perfect pass to Furlong, who took it in his stride and stroked it in.

I looked at a compilation of Furlong's Chelsea goals and in that compilation he looks as good a striker as any we have had; a salutory lesson perhaps.

Or how about Poyet's goal from Zola's scooped pass against Sunderland!?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RDCW said:

days of the dodgy grey and orange strip 😀

43 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

Dider in the final. Perfect header.  Ramires in the semi!

I thought Lamps was going to get that header.

My memory for goals is not as good as it once was, but a few that spring to mind. It's often a situation when you are willing a player to do well that stick in my head, so not our best goals here, but ones that are really at the forefront of my mind when I think back.

Mario Stanic ball juggling volley from about 30 yards. Cannot remember the opposition, but then serious injury followed not long after.

Again I cannot remember the exact circumstances, but I remember being at the bridge when Torres scored one of his first Chelsea goals. I seem to think it was Fulham and the pitch was absolutely soaked, but the atmosphere in the place exploded when he scored that goal (possibly his first for the club ?)

Casiraghi 1st Chelsea goal at Anfield, when Phil Babb almost emasculated himself 🙂

Zola at the bridge vs West Ham turning Julian Dicks inside out with a nutmeg and crisp finish in the bottom corner.

• Agree 1

I think you must enjoy goals against West Ham. Mario Stanic, Torres and, as you say, Zola were all against West Ham. I often remember the opposition and home or away but have trouble remembering roughly when goals were, especially in the 80s and 90s. The Babb thing always makes me laugh. Schadenfreude. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sciatika said:

I think you must enjoy goals against West Ham. Mario Stanic, Torres and, as you say, Zola were all against West Ham. I often remember the opposition and home or away but have trouble remembering roughly when goals were, especially in the 80s and 90s. The Babb thing always makes me laugh. Schadenfreude. 

I had no recollection the Stanic and Torress were both against West Ham......I don't actually mind them, but maybe there is a simmering dislike for them that I have not quite manifested yet!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

My memory for goals is not as good as it once was, but a few that spring to mind. It's often a situation when you are willing a player to do well that stick in my head, so not our best goals here, but ones that are really at the forefront of my mind when I think back.

Mario Stanic ball juggling volley from about 30 yards. Cannot remember the opposition, but then serious injury followed not long after.

Again I cannot remember the exact circumstances, but I remember being at the bridge when Torres scored one of his first Chelsea goals. I seem to think it was Fulham and the pitch was absolutely soaked, but the atmosphere in the place exploded when he scored that goal (possibly his first for the club ?)

Casiraghi 1st Chelsea goal at Anfield, when Phil Babb almost emasculated himself 🙂

Zola at the bridge vs West Ham turning Julian Dicks inside out with a nutmeg and crisp finish in the bottom corner.

Stanic got 2 that day against West Ham. I sit in the MHU directly behind the goal and when he shaped to shoot I started to groan which then turned into a roar as it went in to the top corner!

Edited by RDCW

14 hours ago, chara said:

@Sciatika,,,so many but for me Ossie at the OT replay..for so many reasons..I was there..it was Leeds ,,magic from Cookie and the ultimate two fingers to Revie and co....Webby just provided the wonderful nail in the coffin.

But so many,,from Tommy Harmer's "intimate touch" at Roker Park to Caicedo from the halfway line....

Personally, Zola vs Wimbledon will always have massive significance.  My favourite player, in my favourite kit just doing something so unexpected (for anyone else) but totally in line with what he was for us when he first arrived. 

14 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Brilliant goal that one, should have been a goal in a victory as well. Definitely up there for me.

So hard to choose a favourite, especially without looking back at them (haven’t followed the link yet), but a couple that instantly spring to my mind:

Di Matteo’s then record breaking goal in the FA Cup final.

Zola vs Wimbledon, in the FA Cup, it was a lovely goal but it’s also just associated with my childhood and good memories as well. His flick from the corner vs Norwich up there as well.

Drogba vs Everton, late winner… control, spin, volley from far out and flew in. What a hit.

Hazard vs Arsenal, when he took it from the half way line and the Arsenal players just couldn’t get near him and those that did just bounced off him.

The Zola one was just a special player doing something magical - felt like a real turning of a corner for us too.  A potentially tricky SF and we just ended up dealing with it like proper Pros. 

I'm going to be a bit controversial about Drogba at Everton:  Lampard's goal in that game was better.  As my mate said at the time, Didier just had to get it on target, Lampard had to pick his spot and had almost no time to do it - a fantastic goal. 

I was behind the goal for the Hazard one vs Arsenal.  Limbs! I'd plum for his goal at Anfield in the League Cup, the solo effort against West Ham and his late rocket vs Sparta Prague too. 

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

Or how about Poyet's goal from Zola's scooped pass against Sunderland!?

Sensational goal. 

1 hour ago, ShedMiddle said:

Dider in the final. Perfect header.  Ramires in the semi!

I always feel like Ramires's goal is celebrated for the significance, but not the quality of that finish.  It really was tremendous. 

A special mention to Frank Lampard's second goal at home to Bayern Munich in 2005 as well.  One of the best goals i've ever seen live.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bert19 said:

Personally, Zola vs Wimbledon will always have massive significance.  My favourite player, in my favourite kit just doing something so unexpected (for anyone else) but totally in line with what he was for us when he first arrived. 

The Zola one was just a special player doing something magical - felt like a real turning of a corner for us too.  A potentially tricky SF and we just ended up dealing with it like proper Pros. 

I'm going to be a bit controversial about Drogba at Everton:  Lampard's goal in that game was better.  As my mate said at the time, Didier just had to get it on target, Lampard had to pick his spot and had almost no time to do it - a fantastic goal. 

I was behind the goal for the Hazard one vs Arsenal.  Limbs! I'd plum for his goal at Anfield in the League Cup, the solo effort against West Ham and his late rocket vs Sparta Prague too. 

Sensational goal. 

I always feel like Ramires's goal is celebrated for the significance, but not the quality of that finish.  It really was tremendous. 

A special mention to Frank Lampard's second goal at home to Bayern Munich in 2005 as well.  One of the best goals i've ever seen live.  

I often find I miss how good goals are live, because of the speed of the action, the  distance you are away from it and the viewing angles.

On the other hand sometimes goals have been better live, in the context of the moment, than when viewed back in isolation. 

• Agree 2