The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

Just now, RDCW said:

I often find I miss how good goals are live, because of the speed of the action, the  distance you are away from it and the viewing angles.

On the other hand sometimes goals have been better live, in the context of the moment, than when viewed back in isolation. 

We live in a privileged age where every goal ever scored is recorded for posterity. Before Sky most Chelsea goals were lost in the ether!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I often find I miss how good goals are live, because of the speed of the action, the  distance you are away from it and the viewing angles.

On the other hand sometimes goals have been better live, in the context of the moment, than when viewed back in isolation. 

Another contributing factor at times is having personal experience of playing, regardless of level. You have a first hand sense of just how various elements - distance, angles, the technique required, etc all contribute.

You kinda put yourself in their shoes for a moment and what it would've taken to replicate that moment, and only then do you sometimes realise the difficulty or quality gone into the play.

We get a little desensitised as fans at times because of just how easy top tier athletes and sports figures make things appear.

• Agree 1

Just now, xceleryx said:

We get a little desensitised as fans at times because of just how easy top tier athletes and sports figures make things appear.

Absolutely , the most lumpen oaf would run rings round most of us .

• Agree 1

There are so many great goals, in terms of those isolated events and lots of those noted already - One not mentioned was Essien's equaliser against Arsenal at home.

But then there are the significant and important/clutch goals such as Ramires' equaliser in the Camp Nou, Drogba's equaliser in the CL Final, Crespo's winner in injury time at Wigan away in 2005 (I think) and there's many others. All of the latter were very good goals in their own right but oh so significant.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

What about Eidur's overhead kick against Leeds , that was superb 

THE most underrated goal in PL history.

If that had been scored by Henry, Rooney, or probably any little runt in the correct red shirt, you would see it on sky all the time. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

THE most underrated goal in PL history.

If that had been scored by Henry, Rooney, or probably any little runt in the correct red shirt, you would see it on sky all the time. 

In my opinion he's also one of the greatest players we've ever seen at the club too an absolute footballing genius. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

We live in a privileged age where every goal ever scored is recorded for posterity. Before Sky most Chelsea goals were lost in the ether!

Alcohol don’t help either. Last few games I went to, I didn’t have a drink beforehand and found I could appreciate the game more.

I remember going to a spurs game about 20 years back where Zola scored a worldie free kick in the top corner from about 30 yards. I met up with a mate who decided he wanted to get on absinthe before the game….. I’ve never seen humans move as quickly as they did in that game. Didn’t have a clue what was happening !

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Alcohol don’t help either. Last few games I went to, I didn’t have a drink beforehand and found I could appreciate the game more.

I remember going to a spurs game about 20 years back where Zola scored a worldie free kick in the top corner from about 30 yards. I met up with a mate who decided he wanted to get on absinthe before the game….. I’ve never seen humans move as quickly as they did in that game. Didn’t have a clue what was happening !

I was at that game.  why do i feel like it was a lunch time kick off too? 😄

15 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I was at that game.  why do i feel like it was a lunch time kick off too? 😄

Yeah you might be right. The fella I refer to worked as a doorman at some metal/rock club and alcohol just seemed to have no impact on him. I'm pretty sure it finished 1-1

21 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Yeah you might be right. The fella I refer to worked as a doorman at some metal/rock club and alcohol just seemed to have no impact on him. I'm pretty sure it finished 1-1

Yeh, that sounds about right.  A not great game with an incredible goal to highlight it

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Absolutely , the most lumpen oaf would run rings round most of us .

I play every Tuesday. Most other players, including the lumpen oafs, run rings around me. To be fair, I will be 65 this Summer, and they are mostly in their 20s. 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Haha 1

I work out in a local gym. One of the guys - rugby player in his 20s and as fit as the butcher’s dog - managed 100/minute in the battle ropes. I managed 98. So I asked the trainer to remind him I’m three times his age. Next sesh - 135. I’ll give him that … no point in overdoing it …. 

• Haha 2

The thing about football is that, up to a point, you get cleverer as you get older. I kept up for a long time by knowing when not to run, where to be, how to cover angles and, honestly, how to be difficult to play against. However, this will almost certainly be my last year, because Islington council have decided that people in the area don't need a sports centre or, indeed, any open spaces at all. So they plan to build a block of flats on it, and young people in the area will have nowhere to play. Oddly, they never do that in the leafy streets in Canonbury or Barnsbury, but then they don't have as many young people there.  

• Angry 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Another contributing factor at times is having personal experience of playing, regardless of level. You have a first hand sense of just how various elements - distance, angles, the technique required, etc all contribute.

You kinda put yourself in their shoes for a moment and what it would've taken to replicate that moment, and only then do you sometimes realise the difficulty or quality gone into the play.

A good example of this is the much-maligned Jesper Gronkjaer.  I watched him in a reserve game at Kingstonian once and he was utterly incredible. As fast as he was (and he really was rapid) his close control on the move was unbelievable. I was pitch side, really close up and the speed and skill was an eye-opener. Another thing which struck me was the speed of passing - how hard they hit it to each other. That just doesn't come across when you're in the stands and certainly not on TV.

In Fever Pitch Nick Hornby makes a point about Gus Caesar which probably holds true for guys like Jesper, Carlton Cole, Paul Furlong etc - they are way better than most people think.

Man of the match that day was a guy called Courtney Pitt. He was brilliant and I was certain he was going to be a superstar........ What do I know!

Edited by RDCW
  • Haha 1

@RDCW.......agree...good friend of mine took his young teenage son to see the Rapids here in Denver.....College Football follower  he couldn't get over how fast the game was up close...and that's MLS!..not the peak of "soccurr" levels.

OG but remember playing in an away old Amateur Cup game against a higher level side...our coach said to the team that you are as fast and fit as them but they will think faster...a point made by others above.... translate that up to the EPL levels.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RDCW said:

That just doesn't come across when you're in the stands

Unless you are in the front couple of rows. 

I remember being at Everton away and JFH took this snapshot that landed on the roof of the net. I barely saw it. It was the kind of shot, that had it been on target, no amateur goalie would get near, let alone save.

Edit - and don't ever watch yourself on camera. Unless you want to be brought down a few pegs.

Edited by paulw66
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

My favourite Chelsea goal was Wayne Bridge at the Clock End. 

Huge goal and the start of the power shift in London. 

The great headline .."A Bridge Too Far"'''' (With deep respect for the original meaning,,especially this week.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

My favourite Chelsea goal was Wayne Bridge at the Clock End. 

Huge goal and the start of the power shift in London. 

Claudio's tears. Great man. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

I have always preferred long range screamers to 100 pass moves and then a tap in.

Matic v Spurs at Wembley 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, blueandproud said:

I have always preferred long range screamers to 100 pass moves and then a tap in.

I always prefer the tap in, so Le Saux v Ipswich in 1998 was a highlight.

Torres at the Nou Camp is the greatest Chelsea goal ever scored though. For what it meant.

Edited by chiswickblue

17 hours ago, blueandproud said:

Not me. There is a huge slice of luck with most long range screamers like.........

16 hours ago, Ham said:

Matic v Spurs at Wembley 

In that he isn't aiming for that part of the goal, he is just lacing it goal-wards. 

I prefer goals generally that are well placed, whether it be after a good move, or not.

Also, the importance of a goal isn't to be ignored. Ramires in the Camp Nou.......huge importance, brilliant skill. 

• Agree 1