The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

@Sciatika..Thanks.... Eddie N I really rated so why he didn;t immediately come to mind I have no idea except as with Thomas and Jones,especially as I lived in N Wales when Eddie N was still at Wrexham!I can only come up with The OG fall back excuse...I think I was wandering way back to Graham Moore and a keeper, big lad, who I am struggling to name..will come to me...never came to much as I recall but some early hype/

Thinking about it the GK John Phillips might have been Welsh or not. One of my favourite players from that period was Gary Locke, the RB. He joined around that time. As a kid, he seemed really quick with his flowing blond hair! 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Thinking about it the GK John Phillips might have been Welsh or not. One of my favourite players from that period was Gary Locke, the RB. He joined around that time. As a kid, he seemed really quick with his flowing blond hair! 

John Phillips...Didn't jump out at me ,,and I always,unfairly and illogically..disliked or probably more accurately resented him as a threat to The Cat,,remember being at Highbury with Phillips in goal,,,shout from the Arse masses.."You haven't got Bonetti to save you now Chelsea1"

Nice little stroll down memory lane..Thanks @Sciatika

Sad thoughts when I look down the line and realise how many have left us now.

Added... Gary Locke always liked him,,from Basingstoke if that OG memory is semi functioning,,went to New Zealand I get thoughts of?,another stop on my wanderings!

Basingstoke that is !

Edited by chara

@Sciatika...just checked a few things and you were spot on about Phillips being a Welsh International,,,,sadly whilst checking stuff I was reminded of Chris Garlands tragic decline,Hudson's troubled life and Phillips early passing..we forget our heroes are real people and it's not all glamour and stardust.

• Agree 1

@Sciatika,,,sigh,,,Roger Freestone...one cap for Wales....hyped signing but never really got established at Chelsea..went to Swansea and according to Wicki is a "Swansea Legend"

My sigh is because the irony of me struggling to recall his name is not lost on me !,,,🤒

8 hours ago, chara said:

@Sciatika...just checked a few things and you were spot on about Phillips being a Welsh International,,,,sadly whilst checking stuff I was reminded of Chris Garlands tragic decline,Hudson's troubled life and Phillips early passing..we forget our heroes are real people and it's not all glamour and stardust.

I still follow Alan Hudson on Twitter. These days, he tweets mostly about his books and his Stoke connections. I think that period was when he was his happiest, and I'm glad he found that.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I still follow Alan Hudson on Twitter. These days, he tweets mostly about his books and his Stoke connections. I think that period was when he was his happiest, and I'm glad he found that.

My step-dad used to manage The Roebuck public house on Blackstock Road back in the 1970s.  Very close to Highbury.  

Before I chose Chelsea in the late 70s I was able to get into the schoolboys enclosure for free whenever I wanted to watch a first division game because someone at the club knew my step-dad.  

I wasn't an Arsenal fan btw.  If anything I preferred Leeds.

Anyway, Alan Hudson went off and was subbed very late on in one game. 

After the game ended I walked back across to the pub to get my coke and crisps and who was already at the bar in his tracksuit getting pissed?

You guessed it. 

It was a different time. Charlie Cooke described the period between the first and second games in the CWC in 1971, as a two-day bender though he was at pains to point out that they went on the pitch sober and fit.

12 hours ago, chara said:

@Sciatika,,,sigh,,,Roger Freestone...one cap for Wales....hyped signing but never really got established at Chelsea..went to Swansea and according to Wicki is a "Swansea Legend"

My sigh is because the irony of me struggling to recall his name is not lost on me !,,,🤒

A real character, but you're right about his time with us. Seem to remember Bates helping out Newport County, who we bought him from and who were just about bankrupt then, by paying the transfer fee in full rather than in instalments as was the norm.

Newport County actually did go bust and were only revived by the dedication of the fans, led by my wife's old deputy headmaster. They are now known as The Exiles because the FA of Wales wouldn't allow the reformed club to play home games  in Wales and they had to borrow a pitch about 50 miles away in Gloucestershire. Their old ground, Somerton Park (where I watched my first ever professional game in the late sixties, a dull draw against Bradford Park Avenue, who dropped out of the league that season) was bulldozed and is now a housing development.  They now share the rugby ground - Rodney Parade, aka Dave Parade - with the (spectacularly unsuccessful) rugby club The Dragons.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

A real character, but you're right about his time with us. Seem to remember Bates helping out Newport County, who we bought him from and who were just about bankrupt then, by paying the transfer fee in full rather than in instalments as was the norm.

Newport County actually did go bust and were only revived by the dedication of the fans, led by my wife's old deputy headmaster. They are now known as The Exiles because the FA of Wales wouldn't allow the reformed club to play home games  in Wales and they had to borrow a pitch about 50 miles away in Gloucestershire. Their old ground, Somerton Park (where I watched my first ever professional game in the late sixties, a dull draw against Bradford Park Avenue, who dropped out of the league that season) was bulldozed and is now a housing development.  They now share the rugby ground - Rodney Parade, aka Dave Parade - with the (spectacularly unsuccessful) rugby club The Dragons.

Are you a fellow Newport boy then?

3 hours ago, RDCW said:

Are you a fellow Newport boy then?

Wouldn't really describe myself as a Newport boy, but lived there (near The Ridgeway) for 5 years as a boy in the mid to late 60s. Now live near Pontypridd.

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Wouldn't really describe myself as a Newport boy, but lived there (near The Ridgeway) for 5 years as a boy in the mid to late 60s. Now live near Pontypridd.

I was born in Newport, but left when very young when my Dad decided that Llanwern Steelworks was ultimately doomed and emigrated to Zambia. There is no more devout Welshman than an expatriate Welshman !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RDCW said:

The genius which brought you "Your Missus Is A Nutter!"

Saw them live at a Weekender a couple of years ago and they're still as awesome as back in the day. 

Slick and tight. 

"Newport" to the tune of Alicia Keys' "New York" is their finest moment. 

• Haha 1

23 years ago today we signed a player without whom our trophy cabinet wouldn't be nearly as full as it is today.

He doesn't have to prove himself as a manager to me.  He's one of the greatest players of the Premier League era and that's quite enough.

Super Frankie Lampard 💙

• Love 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Totally agree - why did we ever let him go?

To be fair I'm sure he's currently on a salary Chelsea couldn't match.

The sad thing for me is so many supporters wanted him gone because of his injuries whilst at the same time making excuses for players like Chilwell, who on his best day still isn't fit to lace Kante's boots.

Kante..amazing...from what looked at a distance a player beset by injuries and on a downward trend he looked today as good,if not better, than in his so called prime...is it another less than subtle criticism of the Chelsea medical set up?...combined with a less demanding work place in terms of pressure?

3 minutes ago, Bison said:

To be fair I'm sure he's currently on a salary Chelsea couldn't match.

The sad thing for me is so many supporters wanted him gone because of his injuries whilst at the same time making excuses for players like Chilwell, who on his best day still isn't fit to lace Kante's boots.

You really are pathetic and predictable. 

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

You really are pathetic and predictable. 

Touched a nerve I see.

Nothing more pathetic and predictable than getting a notification and seeing that you've quoted me. Literally following me around the forum. 😂

41 minutes ago, Bison said:

Touched a nerve I see.

Nothing more pathetic and predictable than getting a notification and seeing that you've quoted me. Literally following me around the forum. 😂

Keep doing it and I'll keep calling you out.