The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

2 hours ago, chara said:

Kante..amazing...from what looked at a distance a player beset by injuries and on a downward trend he looked today as good,if not better, than in his so called prime...is it another less than subtle criticism of the Chelsea medical set up?...combined with a less demanding work place in terms of pressure?

He's had a nice year off playing walking football in 30+ degree heat.

Amazing what that can do for ones physical health.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

To be fair I'm sure he's currently on a salary Chelsea couldn't match.

The sad thing for me is so many supporters wanted him gone because of his injuries whilst at the same time making excuses for players like Chilwell, who on his best day still isn't fit to lace Kante's boots.

Almost as if playing in a two bob league with a fraction of the intensity, physicality, and overall demand on the body has helped preserve him. 

Something he clearly struggled with for several seasons here prior to his departure. 

But sure, go off queen.

9 minutes ago, Bison said:

Praising Kante sure does annoy some people in here. Very strange.

I don't believe it's the praising Kante that annoys people , it's the praising Kante who was injured for half of his time here whilst continuously slagging off Chilwell for the same thing . 

Kante is a brilliant player , that he took the decision to make more money than we were prepared to offer to play in the Kingdom of Saud in a league where he's head and shoulders above the opposition and has an easier time of it is entirely his prerogative and it has paid dividends with regards to his fitness which is great to see.

Applauding him when he makes a ten yard pass that a child could make is also very strange . 

Kante - To be frank, no one knows why he was injured and missed as many games as he did - speculate sure, argue about it? What’s the point - It was just wonderful to watch the man do his thing again, having seen him at his best for us.

As regards the game last night, one of the worst and biased refereeing performances seen in a good while, he gave France everything. No mention that 2 minutes before France score, the most obvious corner was given as a goal kick, probably changed the game but no mention at all.

Edited by east lower

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

He's had a nice year off playing walking football in 30+ degree heat.

On par with Enzo's level last season except for the heat 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

I say!

and look what happened to the team once he went on sick list

I think we can blame the master tactician for waiting too late to realise Enzo was : A crocked and B playing in the wrong place 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think we can blame the master tactician for waiting too late to realise Enzo was : A crocked and B playing in the wrong place 

lets see what the championship manager , new first team coach does with Enzo. 

Kante - came in and improved the squad to win the PL, absolute bargain purchase at the time

23 minutes ago, east lower said:

As regards the game last night, one of the worst and biased refereeing performances seen in a good while, he gave France everything. No mention that 2 minutes before France score, the most obvious corner was given as a goal kick, probably changed the game but no mention at all.

The one where Austria are one on one with the keeper and he quite clearly and obviously deflects the ball out with a good save with his legs?

The referee actually needs standing down for that one it was that bad. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The one where Austria are one on one with the keeper and he quite clearly and obviously deflects the ball out with a good save with his legs?

The referee actually needs standing down for that one it was that bad. 

That's the one. 

That he and his on-field team missed it was incompetence at best, but that no-one 'whispered in his ear' is incredulous  - we know they shouldn't,  but we all can see that it happens.

But the sheer bias was seen throughout the match.

22 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I was literally coming here to post this exact same thing!

What you have to remember, though, is that the alternative to being old is not being young, but something quite different 😆. In that context being old is OK!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I think I prefer being old. I was a pain when I was a young man.

As opposed to being "in pain" as an OG!...... suffering at the minute from a self inflicted (stupid) upper arm bad bruising and very painful elbow...my own fault so no sympathy sought,,,but to the Tune of The Bee Gees''

OG's all together now.."It's Only Pain and Pain is all I have  ..."

The "Later Years" are not for the faint hearted !🤒😁

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bison said:

Praising Kante sure does annoy some people in here. Very strange.

Almost as strange as pretending dominating Luxembourg is proof of something............

• Haha 1

24 years ago today we signed Eidur Gudjohnsen, one of my favourite Chelsea players (@Chelsea_Matt)

And talk about feeling old.  I remember seeing his little kids playing around on the pitch and now they're all professional footballers 😮

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

24 years ago today we signed Eidur Gudjohnsen, one of my favourite Chelsea players (@Chelsea_Matt)

And talk about feeling old.  I remember seeing his little kids playing around on the pitch and now they're all professional footballers 😮

One of mine too, when my boss put in a new phone system at work he asked me what extension I wanted and I asked for 22. 

Every time he says across at me, "what's your extension again" I say "Eidur Gudjohnsen". 

Oh how we laugh 😕

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, JaneB said:

A beautiful footballer. Levels above. Just wonderful. One of my all-three top 3 Chelsea players. 🇮🇸 🫶🏻🥰🩶

• Love 2
  • Agree 2