The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

46 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

What was all that about?

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Couldn’t even hear it to be honest broski 👀😬🙈

Frank mentioned that if they took away the background they'd just be looking at the back of their heads and Lineker responded that nobody wants to see the back of their heads especially Franks  ( or words to that effect ) alluding to his bald spot and Frank visibly paled. 

I'm sure Frank would have had it out with him once off air . 

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2024 at 20:26, Bob Singleton said:

Leicester close to appointing Graham Potter as new manager to replace Enzo Maresca

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/18/leicester-appointing-graham-potter-manager-replace-enzo-maresca

I see Steve Cooper got the job in the end.

Will Potter ever get a job again or is he waiting for Southgate to step down in a week or so?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Will Potter ever get a job again or is he waiting for Southgate to step down in a week or so?

Probably 

16 hours ago, JaneB said:

24 years ago today we signed Eidur Gudjohnsen, one of my favourite Chelsea players (@Chelsea_Matt)

And talk about feeling old.  I remember seeing his little kids playing around on the pitch and now they're all professional footballers 😮

Yes, ditto to all of this. Brilliant player. 

16 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

One of mine too, when my boss put in a new phone system at work he asked me what extension I wanted and I asked for 22. 

Every time he says across at me, "what's your extension again" I say "Eidur Gudjohnsen". 

Oh how we laugh 😕

What larks, Pip!

16 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

A beautiful footballer. Levels above. Just wonderful. One of my all-three top 3 Chelsea players. 🇮🇸 🫶🏻🥰🩶

He was SO good to watch. So natural. Just glided with the ball....... If he had a yard more pace, then my word we'd be talking about an all time great. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Wonderful player, one of my favourites in a Chelsea shirt and arguably one of the more underrated players in the PL era.

100%.

that goal against Leeds......... 

In 2003, we signed Crespo and Mutu, and he saw those off. In 2004, we added Drogba and Kezman, and again, he was a key player. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What larks, Pip!

He was SO good to watch. So natural. Just glided with the ball....... If he had a yard more pace, then my word we'd be talking about an all time great. 

100%.

In 2003, we signed Crespo and Mutu, and he saw those off. In 2004, we added Drogba and Kezman, and again, he was a key player. 

And.....................he scored the first competitive goal of the Jose/Roman era.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What larks, Pip!

100%.

I was in the west upper (a present from an ex!) with my dad at the end when Eidur scored against Leeds. Everyone went absolutely nuts. 🥜🤪🙌🏻🤩🤩🤩🤩🇮🇸🩷🩶🙌🏻

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I was in the west upper (a present from an ex!) with my dad at the end when Eidur scored against Leeds. Everyone went absolutely nuts. 🥜🤪🙌🏻🤩🤩🤩🤩🇮🇸🩷🩶🙌🏻

Rightly so it was perfection 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'd go for Cooper too if it was down to me . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd go for Cooper too if it was down to me . 

Never really liked him, too dour (and old) in "High Noon" and looking back a somewhat overrated western..imho..saved by a great theme song and the lovely Princess Grace.😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

watch the goal again

Robinson literally dives after the ball has gone past him

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, chara said:

So,,Cooper appointed after talks with Potter break down?  My understanding is that it was a done deal until GP asked for a salary.

I Say!

As part of Chelsea FSP compliance, the FA have agreed to take over GP contract, before June 30th 😀

Edited by ROTG

On 20/06/2024 at 15:53, chara said:

Never really liked him, too dour (and old) in "High Noon" and looking back a somewhat overrated western..imho..saved by a great theme song and the lovely Princess Grace.😁

Can't have that Chara! Unlike Steve cobra-eyes,  Gary had the most expressive peepers in cinema and he was English! His somewhat stiff gait was following a car crash when he was 15 and you too would be dour if you had been abandoned by your constituency and left at the mercy of a gang of villains!

Steve Cooper, on the other hand.........unwatchable 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Only Luxembourg. Only Austria. Only Netherlands.

Pure luck of course, played walking football for a year don't you know.

He was also injured at Chelsea for what felt like  eighteen months and ran his contract down , nobody has ever and I mean ever disputed what a good player he is but the club felt given his apparent on going injuries and the amount of wages he wanted that it wasn't a good risk . 

We should be thankful we got good service for him and happy his lifestyle choice is prolonging his career not constantly sniping at the club for the very valid reasons they let him go .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Kante is really obviously still absolutely brilliant every time he takes to the pitch. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone here or elsewhere say differently.

For all the things I can slate the club and these owners for, not renewing his deal when he basically could never take to the pitch for us is not one of them. I feel pretty confident we'd be sat here bashing them for paying £300k a week to someone who was rarely available to play. 

Brilliant performances and adequate fitness over a few weeks for a team that doesn't pay you says nothing about the wisdom or potential lack thereof of letting Kante go.

In some ways I think he's embarrassed himself. Wtf is he doing in Saudi Arabia if he can still do this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2