Squad Status: 2022/23 Season

My Blood Is Blue

I was looking at this the other day when wondering if mount was going to go but I agree with most of the above still got maatsen to come back as back up to chilwell

Gk Kepa, Slonina

RB James, Gusto

LB Chilwell Maatsen

CB Silva/Koulibaly Colwill/Badiashille Fofana/Cucurella

M Ampadu/Zakaria Kante/Kovacic:Enzo

AM Mount/Gallagher Santos/Chukwuemeka Havertz

Rw/Lw Sterling/Murdyk.  Felix/Madueke

CF new striker. Fofana

28 man squad

not sure if we have Nkunku

Broja (loan if his contract is longer than 3 yrs) omari Hutchinson Lewis hall, Casedei and if he signs new contract Webster loans mason burstow and Harvey vale also

So by default of above the sell list would be

Aubameyang Pulisic Loftus Cheek (Betinelli)

Chalobah, Mendy, Ziyech Azpi

Sarr . Anjorin Baba Simons Hudson Odoi Bakayoko Lukaku (if any are still under contract)

or in line up form

Mendy

Baba

Chalobah

Sarr

Azpi

Bakayoko

Loftus Cheek

Pulisic

Abameyang/Lukaku

Ziyech/Hudson Odoi

On 11/03/2023 at 13:29, hallgalley said:

So by default of above the sell list would be

Aubameyang Pulisic Loftus Cheek (Betinelli)

Chalobah, Mendy, Ziyech Azpi

Sarr . Anjorin Baba Simons Hudson Odoi Bakayoko Lukaku (if any are still under contract)

or in line up form

Mendy

Baba

Chalobah

Sarr

Azpi

Bakayoko

Loftus Cheek

Pulisic

Abameyang/Lukaku

Ziyech/Hudson Odoi

Selling them is not going to make much of a dent int the 600m spent in the last two transfer windows, can see a majority being moved for free to get then off the wage bill.

Taking a bit of a look into next season and our tactical/line up  options with the squad on hand.

Rough Starting 433: 

--------------------- CF

Nkunku --------------------------Sterling

--------- Enzo --- DM -- Mount

Chilwell - Thiago Silva - Badiashile - James 

-------------------- Kepa

Rough Starting 4231:

--------------------- CF

Mudryk -------- Nkunku ------------Sterling

--------- Enzo -------------- DM 

Rough Starting 343:

------------------------- CF

----------Nkunku ---------------Sterling

------------- Enzo -------------- DM 

Chilwell -------------------------------------- James 

-------Badiashile - Thiago Silva - Fofana

A few immediate takeaway I notice is as follows; 

• A proper DM/Holding Midfielder is a must irrespective of any system we use. 
  • The 433 makes the best environment for Kante to fit, and for Mount to play in his preferred midfield position as an #8. Presuming we sign a proper holding player that starts it leaves one CM position open to be fought between Kante, Mount and Kovacic. All three have their pro's and con's. For more steel Kante suits best, for more attacking input there's Mount, and for something in between there's Kovacic. 
  • Any system that has us using a double pivot creates midfield problems for us. With Enzo being a shoe in to start it leaves a single midfield place open, which you would have to imagine goes to a proper holding player that comes in. This leaves Kante, Kovacic and Mount on the outer. Mount can't play a in a pivot so that's a no-go from the beginning. IMO you can't partner Kante with Enzo as he's always been the one given the freedom to roam opposed to sitting, forcing Enzo to sit would be a waste of his qualities. Kante with a DM works, but it involves dropping Enzo and we'd loose out massively from a creative and technical standpoint. Kovacic and Enzo is manageable but still not ideal, while Kovacic and a DM is fine but again would require dropping Enzo and losing out creatively. 
  • Re the previous point - the midfield depth is awful when it comes to fluidity and interchangeability because of the different strengths, weaknesses, and play styles of each of our options. There's no real Enzo alternative, there's no proper DM substitute, there's no real bonafide attacking outlet besides Mount. There's few cohesive and balanced combinations we can form without having to make sizeable tactical adjustments to compensate. This would need to be addressed if we're wanting the ability to be more cohesive as a unit, even if individually these players are good. 
  • I've spoken on this before but with Nkunku arriving next season, (and there being reports we'll look to sign Joao Felix permanently), we'll have acquired a player (possibly two) that thrive best when played behind a CF. From a tactical point of view that's not a position that exists in a 433 and would mean either the 4231 or a back three to be used. This naturally impacts what we can do in midfield as discussed before, but also renders wingers like Mudryk, Madeuke and to a degree Sterling less practical. 
  • If we were to also add Joao Felix to the side for next season you'd have to imagine we'd want to fit both Nkunku and himself into the starting lineup together, you don't buy two players like that only for one to ride the bench every match. To fit both in it'll either mean a 343 to get both into their more preferred central attacking midfield positions, or a 4231 which would see out shuffled out to the left and possibly interchanging with each other in a fluid attacking setup. 
  • The defence is the only area of the pitch we've got clarity and balance in no matter which system we opt for. 
  • Upfront posses a problem and a CF is a must come the summer. I really hope we aren't looking at trying to use Nkunku and or Felix as false 9 types for next season and bring a proper CF in. 
  • We've got a bit of a logjam on the left of attack forming. If Mount can't get into the midfield you'd have to think he'll be getting his minutes higher up the pitch, which has generally been from the left. Sterling also likes to play from the left, as does Mudryk - although the former can also play from the right. Nkunku has also spent time on the left himself whenever he's not played through the middle, as has Joao Felix. Only Sterling and Mudryk however are natural wide players.

Those are some of the big points I immediately notice, as such I think we're still some ways away from having a well balanced squad that a manager can properly utilise without having to make endless adjustments. Hopefully our recruitment will align more to a plan moving forward where we can build a squad that's equipped for a particular system and style. Right now we're still a bit of a hodgepodge in key areas. 

Edited by xceleryx
formatting
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Taking a bit of a look into next season and our tactical/line up  options with the squad on hand.

Rough Starting 433: 

--------------------- CF

Nkunku --------------------------Sterling

--------- Enzo --- DM -- Mount

Rough Starting 4231:

--------------------- CF

Mudryk -------- Nkunku ------------Sterling

--------- Enzo -------------- DM 

Rough Starting 343:

------------------------- CF

----------Nkunku ---------------Sterling

------------- Enzo -------------- DM 

Chilwell -------------------------------------- James 

-------Badiashile - Thiago Silva - Fofana

A few immediate takeaway I notice is as follows; 

• A proper DM/Holding Midfielder is a must irrespective of any system we use. 
  • The 433 makes the best environment for Kante to fit, and for Mount to play in his preferred midfield position as an #8. Presuming we sign a proper holding player that starts it leaves one CM position open to be fought between Kante, Mount and Kovacic. All three have their pro's and con's. For more steel Kante suits best, for more attacking input there's Mount, and for something in between there's Kovacic. 
  • Any system that has us using a double pivot creates midfield problems for us. With Enzo being a shoe in to start it leaves a single midfield place open, which you would have to imagine goes to a proper holding player that comes in. This leaves Kante, Kovacic and Mount on the outer. Mount can't play a in a pivot so that's a no-go from the beginning. IMO you can't partner Kante with Enzo as he's always been the one given the freedom to roam opposed to sitting, forcing Enzo to sit would be a waste of his qualities. Kante with a DM works, but it involves dropping Enzo and we'd loose out massively from a creative and technical standpoint. Kovacic and Enzo is manageable but still not ideal, while Kovacic and a DM is fine but again would require dropping Enzo and losing out creatively. 
  • Re the previous point - the midfield depth is awful when it comes to fluidity and interchangeability because of the different strengths, weaknesses, and play styles of each of our options. There's no real Enzo alternative, there's no proper DM substitute, there's no real bonafide attacking outlet besides Mount. There's few cohesive and balanced combinations we can form without having to make sizeable tactical adjustments to compensate. This would need to be addressed if we're wanting the ability to be more cohesive as a unit, even if individually these players are good. 
  • I've spoken on this before but with Nkunku arriving next season, (and there being reports we'll look to sign Joao Felix permanently), we'll have acquired a player (possibly two) that thrive best when played behind a CF. From a tactical point of view that's not a position that exists in a 433 and would mean either the 4231 or a back three to be used. This naturally impacts what we can do in midfield as discussed before, but also renders wingers like Mudryk, Madeuke and to a degree Sterling less practical. 
  • If we were to also add Joao Felix to the side for next season you'd have to imagine we'd want to fit both Nkunku and himself into the starting lineup together, you don't buy two players like that only for one to ride the bench every match. To fit both in it'll either mean a 343 to get both into their more preferred central attacking midfield positions, or a 4231 which would see out shuffled out to the left and possibly interchanging with each other in a fluid attacking setup. 
  • The defence is the only area of the pitch we've got clarity and balance in no matter which system we opt for. 
  • Upfront posses a problem and a CF is a must come the summer. I really hope we aren't looking at trying to use Nkunku and or Felix as false 9 types for next season and bring a proper CF in. 
  • We've got a bit of a logjam on the left of attack forming. If Mount can't get into the midfield you'd have to think he'll be getting his minutes higher up the pitch, which has generally been from the left. Sterling also likes to play from the left, as does Mudryk - although the former can also play from the right. Nkunku has also spent time on the left himself whenever he's not played through the middle, as has Joao Felix. Only Sterling and Mudryk however are natural wide players.

Those are some of the big points I immediately notice, as such I think we're still some ways away from having a well balanced squad that a manager can properly utilise without having to make endless adjustments. Hopefully our recruitment will align more to a plan moving forward where we can build a squad that's equipped for a particular system and style. Right now we're still a bit of a hodgepodge in key areas. 

Great post!  Lots of conundrums to untangle in there. I expect to see a 4 long term and the DM allows that. It does seem crazy that there appears to be no easy way of getting Enzo, Kante, Mount to work. Guessing we might get to see that after the international break...

Also, Havertz says hi 🙂

17 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Great post!  Lots of conundrums to untangle in there. I expect to see a 4 long term and the DM allows that. It does seem crazy that there appears to be no easy way of getting Enzo, Kante, Mount to work. Guessing we might get to see that after the international break...

Also, Havertz says hi 🙂

There's definitely going to be a few headaches to solve. The midfield situation is something I've kinda spoken about before when talking about Mount and Kante in the past, and it's a big factor as to why I'd also be shifting Kante that end of the season. We're also only going to compound some of our already existing issues by adding yet more #10 type players. 

Was considering him a forward for the moment, although realistically he probably ends up in that group of #10's we're intent on collecting. Feel's a bit like Pokemon out here in that regard. 

Bettinelli signs a 3 year extension

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/bettinelli-remains-a-blue

Before people groan about this... he's ideal as a 3rd choice keeper and from what I understand, well respected amongst the other keepers and the goalkeeping coaches. Will rarely play, doesn't expect to be 1st choice, but contributes to training sessions and the generally good morale to be found amongst the keepers. Also, 'home grown' for both PL and UEFA competition squad purposes.

Slonina needs to get game time, so 3rd choice would be a waste of time, and whatever his ultimate ceiling (very high by all accounts) he's too raw just yet to be trusted with a "first back-up" role. Up to the club now if they're looking to replace, say Mendy, to give Kepa greater competition/push Kepa to second choice.

We could end up with this in the summer:

GK: Kepa, Mendy, Bettinelli

RB: James, Gusto

LB: Chilwell, Cucurella

CB: Silva, W. Fofana, Badiashile, Koulibaly, Chalobah

DM: ?

CM: Kanté, Enzo, Gallagher, Mount

FW: Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, Hudson-Odoi

ST: Havertz, Broja

This assumes departures for Azpilicueta, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Zakaria, Ziyech, Pulisic, Felix and Aubameyang plus loans for Slonina, Chukwuemeka and D. Fofana. That's a massive clear-out, again.

From the above we could also see another CB leave, preferably Koulibaly instead of Chalobah. With Colwill replacing Silva the following summer.

We'll be looking at buying at least one DM, plus probably a striker. Hudson-Odoi may not be the preferred winger to keep either. Ampadu or Andrey Santos could get in the squad as back-up DM.

11 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

We could end up with this in the summer:

GK: Kepa, Mendy, Bettinelli

CB: Silva, W. Fofana, Badiashile, Koulibaly, Chalobah

DM: ?

CM: Kanté, Enzo, Gallagher, Mount

FW: Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, Hudson-Odoi

ST: Havertz, Broja

This assumes departures for Azpilicueta, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Zakaria, Ziyech, Pulisic, Felix and Aubameyang plus loans for Slonina, Chukwuemeka and D. Fofana. That's a massive clear-out, again.

From the above we could also see another CB leave, preferably Koulibaly instead of Chalobah. With Colwill replacing Silva the following summer.

We'll be looking at buying at least one DM, plus probably a striker. Hudson-Odoi may not be the preferred winger to keep either. Ampadu or Andrey Santos could get in the squad as back-up DM.

I'd go one step further and think the rough base of our squad will look like this.

GK: Kepa,  Bettinelli

CB: Silva, W. Fofana, Badiashile, Koulibaly, Colwill

DM: 

CM: Kanté, Enzo

FW: Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, Nkunku

ST: Havertz

• Mendy - Hard to see him being here next season, so I think we'll see him and bring in someone that can either compete with or replace Kepa. 
  • Chalobah - Hasn't played as much as he'd probably have liked this season, while we've also got Colwill waiting in the wings. Call it a gut feeling but I could see us cashing in on him this summer as a means to help with meeting FPP. As he's deemed home-grown all revenue raised is deemed pure profit, while in a position we have some depth in.
  • Kovacic - Reports suggest no talks have begun on a new deal, with only 18 months left on his contract its identical to the situation we've got with Mount. Either an extension is had by the summer or we have to consider selling to avoid losing him for nothing. 
  • Mount - Like Kovacic it's a now or never situation. Any sale counts as pure profit as well, so there's no chance we gamble on trying to convince him in the final 12 months of his deal. Either he extends or is gone by the end of the summer. 
  • Gallagher - Another with an uncertain future. Seems as if he tried to sell in the January window but he turned down moves, I suspect we'll revisit this in the summer. Another home-grown candidate that'll be considered all profit should he be sold, perfect for FPP. 
  • Broja - This was his season to stake a claim and impress but injury ended that. While I would've sold him last summer, I think we'll look at loaning him out this coming season so he can play regularly once he's back to fitness, with maybe the view to sell later. Don't think staying here as a third choice option benefits him at this point. 
  • Hudson-Odoi - He's run his course here. An incredibly unintelligent player that's simply not been able to adapt their game post-injury, don't think he'll ever come close to looking like the player he may have been prior to injury. An unlucky situation but it is what it is. Another home-grown player that'll count as pure profit, not that I think we'll get much for him but clearing his wages will be a massive benefit either way. 

Then as you've touched on there's the obvious outs in Ziyech, Pulisic, Auba, Zakaria (loan return), and so on. 

The glaring issue of course is the midfield. If we were to be as bold as to getting rid of all those in question then the midfield is going to need some hefty investment.

Agree with @xceleryx

Colwill has a higher ceiling than Chalobah. I think Chalobah will be disappointed with the number of minutes he's played this season and may himself be looking elsewhere in search of more regular game time.  Colwill, on the other hand, may feel another loan to be one too many now, so probably best to try to integrate him into the squad sooner rather than later, with a view to him ultimately replacing Silva and/or Koulibaly.

I'd hate to see Kovacic leave if we're also potentially losing the likes of Mount, RLC, etc. With Kanté's long-term fitness still in doubt, it leaves us with no experienced players in the centre of the park (Enzo looks like a great player, but he's still very young and inexperienced for all of his undoubted talent!). I know he's a 'Marmite' player on this forum, but his experience is still invaluable, even if only coming off the bench to help control a game.

Biggest problem remains Lukaku. No big European clubs seem interested in him (other than a few stories regarding Middle East clubs looking at "big name" signings to, in a way, rival Ronaldo at Al Nassr, the only other rumour has been interest from Villa!!!) and it's not sure how a return here would go down amongst the other players. Having said that, given all the potential ins and outs, there may be few remaining here who might have been annoyed by Lukaku last time around.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

What is the Auba story and how is that Fofana isnt getting a start at CF given we cant score.

According to the official pronouncements of Potter at press conferences, Auba had an (unspecified) injury. Fofana never got mentioned, so presume not deemed good enough.

Must say I'm very surprised Sterling has picked up 21 votes. Apart from a couple of decent early performances he's been at least as bad as Lukaku ever was. A pace merchant who's pace has gone and what is left is a very ordinary, hugely overpaid striker and he is only going one way from here on in.

Cucu understandably not getting many votes. Had a pretty awful season overall. However, I do like his energy and enthusiasm and get the impression he might actually be trying to hard and half the time looks like a hyperactive schoolboy playing football in the playground. He might start playing better if he slows down a bit, does less running and starts thinking a bit more about where he is on the pitch and what's going on around him.

• Agree 1

I asked ChatGPT to produce a starting XI of the greatest Chelsea players in a 3-5-2. While the positioning was questionable the list was as follows:

Cech

Terry, Desailly, Cole

Essien, Lampard, Makelele

Hazard, Zola

Drogba, Dixon

Could you imagine just how much of a stuffing this side would give the current bunch of herberts?

• Haha 2

@Holymoly

Agreed...go back a while..indulge an OG... take THAT v Leeds CF 12..... most today would not come back out at half time.....Reece would look very lonely trotting out and the only one I think (hope) who would have felt at home.

Losing at times is inevitable but it's how you lose...go down fighting otherwise stay at home.

• Agree 1

Red = Contracted to summer 2024 except * = contracted to summer 2023
** = Not officially announced but 'selling' club have all but confirmed the transfer

Current 2022/23 squad (less loanees Felix and Zakaria as we have no purchase agreements) plus players out on loan who theoretically could be part of a first team squad.

We need to sell off at least 15 and loan up to a further 5 or so if we want to make room for a new striker and a DM

GOALKEEPERS:

Arrizabalaga
Baxter
Bettinelli
Mendy
Slonina

DEFENDERS:

Azpilicueta
Badiashile
Chalobah
Chilwell
Colwill
Cucurella
Fofana W
Gusto
James
Koulibaly
Maatsen
Rahman
Saar
Silva
Sterling D

MIDFIELDERS:

Ampadu
Bakayoko
Chukwuemeka
Fernandez
Gallagher
Kante *
Kovacic
Loftus-Cheek
Mount
Santos

ATTACKERS:

Aubameyang
Broja
Fofana D
Havertz
Hudson-Odoi
Lukaku
Madueke
Mudryk
Nkunku **
Pulisic
Sterling R
Ziyech

Edited by Bob Singleton

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Surely any team's collection of greatest ever players would beat their current team?

Sorry, I should have added "with one leg tied behind their back and wearing blindfolds with bells around their neck so they know where to pass"

• 2 weeks later...

Watching this gives me hope for next season. Getting rid of the deadwood and having an outfield squad of around 22 or 23 players, all invested in the club and the vision of the new manager (whoever he may be), will go a long way toward seeing us back in the top four. .. that and a real striker up top!  We just need a coach who can coach, a fitness team that'll get players playing at a high intensity for 90 minutes instead of the 10-15 we're currently seeing, and owners who dip into their pockets when necessary but otherwise allow the football experts to do their jobs.

Edited by Bob Singleton
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

This mentality, this will to win and understanding what it means to be Chelsea is massively lacking in the current squad and has been for some time.

How do we get it back? How do we get the heart of JT and the winning mentality of Jose back in the club?

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

This mentality, this will to win and understanding what it means to be Chelsea is massively lacking in the current squad and has been for some time.

How do we get it back? How do we get the heart of JT and the winning mentality of Jose back in the club?

Seems a simple question but I think whilst the question is simple and on the surface uncomplicated I think it goes deeper.

I love the Forum and whilst there are a lot of smiles and conflicting view points an under laying ripple is the competitiveness of all members....generally well focused but present all the time.

At any level of competitive sport that is a driving force and without that it all becomes pointless.

Is the issue self belief?...no leaders?.....rightly or wrongly there is a theory with dog handling that a dog looks for a leader..if no leaders the dog will attempt to take  on that role...the problem being that not all leaders are qualified and the resulting issues are hard to repair...if that makes sense...a weak leader is almost worse than no leader.

The JT factor as Sam points out is glaringly lacking and the reletive youth of the side has cried out for a leader on and off the pitch.

In a highly competitive enviroment only the strong willed survive and flourish..some can get that strength and self belief from within..others from a strong on the field presence and others from a dynamic coach. Just my thoughts.

Hopefully the first step towards a better unit will be the new coach....as I was told as a young manager..."You don't have to like a colleague...but you do need to respect him/her"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We don't unfortunately, it's a different generation of player.

We'll get the odd exception here and there, but by large there isn't that same hard nosed gritty "win at all costs" mentality. Young players don't have to really graft in the same manner to establish a career like a lot of these guys did, so they aren't conditioned from an early age that they really do have to fight tooth and nail to "make it". 

And I suppose why would you when there's the ability to earn ridiculous money really early on in a career and live a comfortable lavish lifestyle that can be paraded on social media and alike. For a lot of players, particularly the younger ones, that's more than enough.

• Sad 1