Squad Status: 2022/23 Season

My Blood Is Blue

13 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We don't unfortunately, it's a different generation of player.

We'll get the odd exception here and there, but by large there isn't that same hard nosed gritty "win at all costs" mentality. Young players don't have to really graft in the same manner to establish a career like a lot of these guys did, so they aren't conditioned from an early age that they really do have to fight tooth and nail to "make it". 

And I suppose why would you when there's the ability to earn ridiculous money really early on in a career and live a comfortable lavish lifestyle that can be paraded on social media and alike. For a lot of players, particularly the younger ones, that's more than enough.

This is nonsense in my view. It reflects the jaded view of a prior generation rather than an accurate understanding of what is in the mind of the modern young person.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
This quote is not from a contemporary teacher, not from some social commentator from the 50s, Victorian times, or even Mediaeval times; it was written by Socrates nearly half a millennium bc!

Social attitudes and pressures do have some effect on perception and necessitate an adaptation of educational style, but the human spirit remains fundamentally the same.

8 hours ago, RDCW said:

This is nonsense in my view. It reflects the jaded view of a prior generation rather than an accurate understanding of what is in the mind of the modern young person.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
This quote is not from a contemporary teacher, not from some social commentator from the 50s, Victorian times, or even Mediaeval times; it was written by Socrates nearly half a millennium bc!

Social attitudes and pressures do have some effect on perception and necessitate an adaptation of educational style, but the human spirit remains fundamentally the same.

As someone in an age demographic that's closer to the modern young person, what I said is not coming from a jaded mind of a prior generation.

Young footballers, and that's largely what we're addressing here opposed to your general individual, do have it easier these days compared to how it used to be. Not to say that the "old" way was 100% right, but there's certainly elements that could, and arguably should, still be practised today to give the younger lot some grounding early on as they're coming up. More so in an era where there is so much money in the game and kids are earning thousands, and in some cases millions, of pounds per week without having proven anything. To then throw in the world of social media on top, the need to impress with designer clothes, the the best of other luxury items, and whatever else, it's very easy for young minds to end up detached from the real world quite quickly. 

It's also why it's important to hang onto some of the older heads from past generations, they have the ability to provide some much needed grounding and maturity. In ways, their main quality ends up being their ability to mentor younger players behind the scenes.

The mentality towards the game has changed imo, whether it's a pro or con is up to each persons own perception I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

It would appear that Loftus-Cheek thinks that he's staying. I actually hope that this is true.

He'll be in the final year of his contract, so it would be an interesting decision to keep him from that perspective.

From a squad perspective I could kinda see the sense to it if we're going to continue with a double pivot based system, he does fit there better than either Mount or Gallagher - both of which aren't guaranteed to be here anyway. Plus if we see Kova and Kante depart on top, we could be looking at needing 2-3 midfielders arriving at once. Loftus-Cheek as that 5th or so choice option for a year wouldn't necessarily make or break us.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

He'll be in the final year of his contract, so it would be an interesting decision to keep him from that perspective.

Unless he signs a new, longer, contract. I wouldn't rule it out, tbh.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Loftus-Cheek as that 5th or so choice option for a year wouldn't necessarily make or break us.

I think that he's better than that.  Or at least, he can be. Up to him I guess.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Stranger things have happened I suppose.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe he is, but it's also hard seeing him be anything significantly more than that here either. 

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Good sense MT but surely what we have been saying that about RLC for what?..ten years?

My seasons  ratings for those who've played enough mins to justify a rating.

Mendy  4/10.   Kepa 5/10.

Azpi 4/10.  James poorest season so far 5.5/10.  Cucu 3/10.  Chilly 5.5/10.

Chalobah 4/10.  KK 4/10.  Silva 7/10.  Forfana 5/10. Badiashile 5.5/10.

Gallagher 5/10.  RLC 5/10. Mount by far his worst season for us 4.5/10. Jorginho 5/10.  Kova 4/10. Enzo in terms of fee and effect on a team,  biggest flop of the season imho. 4/10.

Ziyech 3/10.  Pulisic 3/10. Sterling 4.5/10.  Aruba 3/10. Havettz 4/10.

22 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Gallagher 5/10.  RLC 5/10. Mount by far his worst season for us 4.5/10. Jorginho 5/10.  Kova 4/10. Enzo in terms of fee and effect on a team,  biggest flop of the season imho. 4/10.

About right from my point of view....marginal adjustments from me but in essence agree.

Kepa and Enzo up a point...Gallagher up 1/2 point Ziyech Pulisic Aruba down a point...Sterling down 1/2 point....but all in all,as I said, agree with your assessment.

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Largely agree with this, but I think the defence have been better than you do.

I’d keep Silva at around a 7,  but Trev, BB and Fofana have all been decent.  The latter two have been seriously impressive considering one was coming off the back of two long injuries and the other joined mid-season from another league/country.  Both very young too.

We have after all, got one of the best defensive records in the league and it’s not their fault we can’t create or score for toffee! 

My full rating for the season on the squad as a whole irrespective of minutes played.

GK: Kepa (6.5), Mendy (2)
FB: RJ (4.5), Chilwell (5.5), Cucurella (3.5), Azpilicueta (3.5), Hall (5)
CB: Thiago Silva (8), Fofana (6.5), Koulibaly (5), Badiashile (6.5), Chalobah (5.5)
MF: Enzo (8), Kovacic (4), Kante (4.5), Gallagher (5.5), Mount (4), Jorginho (5), Loftus-Cheek (5), Zakaria (3), Chukwuemeka (3.5)
ATT: Sterling (4.5), Ziyech (3), Pulisic (2), Mudryk (4.5), Madueke (5), Joao Felix (4), 
ST: Havertz (5), Broja (3), Aubameyang (2.5)

Highest rated: Thiago Silva (8)
Lowest rated: Mendy and Pulisic (2)

Edited by xceleryx
  • Agree 1

What are our chance of shifting 10 first team players in one summer? I think we could move on:

Mendy, Azpilicueta, Koulibaly, Kante, Kovacic, Zakaria, Ziyech, Pulisic, Felix, Aubameyang

Loan out Chukwuemeka and D.Fofana, then we end up with something like this:

GK: Kepa, Slonina, Bettinelli

DF: James, Gusto, Chalobah, Silva, Fofana, Colvill, Badiashile, Chilwell, Cucurella

CM: Fernandez, Gallagher, Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Hall, New DM

AM: Madueke, Sterling, Havertz, Nkuknu, Mudryk

ST: New Striker, Broja

31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

What are our chance of shifting 10 first team players in one summer? I think we could move on:

Mendy, Azpilicueta, Koulibaly, Kante, Kovacic, Zakaria, Ziyech, Pulisic, Felix, Aubameyang

Loan out Chukwuemeka and D.Fofana, then we end up with something like this:

GK: Kepa, Slonina, Bettinelli

DF: James, Gusto, Chalobah, Silva, Fofana, Colvill, Badiashile, Chilwell, Cucurella

CM: Fernandez, Gallagher, Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Hall, New DM

AM: Madueke, Sterling, Havertz, Nkuknu, Mudryk

ST: New Striker, Broja

Don't see it being all too difficult to shift 10 or more players.

We'll have Kante out of contract, and loans ending for Joao Felix and Zakaria before next season. That's three right there gone without doing anything. 

Aubameyang is as good as gone, Ziyech has one foot out the door after his failed January move. May as well call it 5 there. 

Loftus-Cheek is apparently already having talks with AC Milan about a move. That's 6 if it materialises. 

They'll be clubs interested in Mendy, Kovacic, Pulisic, and Mount - should the latter not extend. This would give us 10 if all four go. 

Gallagher and Chalobah will have suitors and won't be difficult to sell either if we choose. 

Loans for Chukwuemeka, D.Fofana, Hall and Broja are all possible, along with Andrey Santos when he joins.

So yeah, I think we can ship 10-15 players if we're serious and aren't trying to haggle every for every penny.  We'll have a few loanee returns on top that may also be added to the mix such as Ampadu, Baba Rahman, Lukaku, Sarr and Hudson-Odoi.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

So yeah, I think we can ship 10-15 players if we're serious and aren't trying to haggle every for every penny.  We'll have a few loanee returns on top that may also be added to the mix such as Ampadu, Baba Rahman, Lukaku, Sarr and Hudson-Odoi.

Now there's a list to whet the appetite for a new season and hopefully new start!

Ampadu only one worth a (another) punt and a squad man at that...at least until he proves differently.

Any Night Crew about?

42 minutes ago, chara said:

Now there's a list to whet the appetite for a new season and hopefully new start!

Ampadu only one worth a (another) punt and a squad man at that...at least until he proves differently.

Any Night Crew about?

I bet Poch is licking his lips at the thought of having all these at his disposal. 

Personally, where I’m at with this squad and who needs to go is that apart from a handful of them, I honestly don’t mind who moves on, my main concern is getting the squad size down and giving the new head coach a fighting chance to try and mould a team. Very few of them feel ‘Chelsea’ to me at the moment and I have very little affinity with them, so let’s get them moved on and start moving forward with a reasonably sized, well balanced squad of players who want to be here and are willing to fight for the club and fans.

Its one of many reasons I’m sure, but the size of squad during the second half of this season has caused us so many problems.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

I also give CHO a go. He better than Madueke 

Weird hill to try and die on.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He bloody well isn't.

CHO is so bad his loan club ***ked him off before the season ended 

Indeed. Watched a couple Leverkusen games on Kayo earlier in the season to see how he was fairing and he was awful. 

Looking at his season he's made 14 Bundesliga appearances, barely kicked a ball since February, and has 1 solitary assist that he picked up in his first match in Round 5. 

He'd be lucky to make the U/21 side.