Kalidou Koulibaly

JaneB

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Or more accurately ADL continuously priced him out of moves to the several clubs interested over the years, including ourselves, by slapping an f-off equivalent price tag on him. Just as he done with various other good players they've had over the years. 

This is probably true - it's also probably true that he's been really underwhelming given his reputation (even allowing for our season, he makes errors that an experienced top-level CB shouldn't make twice and doesn't seem to have brought much in terms of leadership despite being an International captain).  

I hope he can turn it around if he stays, but realistically, he's not been good enough that we should ignore any potential offers for me - especially given his age.

32 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Proof is in the pudding.

Correct, at his prime no top club was willing to pay a lot of money KK. Whereas clubs were will to pay for the likes of Higuain etc. 

15 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

This is probably true - it's also probably true that he's been really underwhelming given his reputation (even allowing for our season, he makes errors that an experienced top-level CB shouldn't make twice and doesn't seem to have brought much in terms of leadership despite being an International captain).  

I hope he can turn it around if he stays, but realistically, he's not been good enough that we should ignore any potential offers for me - especially given his age.

Don't disagree with his form this season not having lived up to expectations, although in fairness he's looked better in the second half of the season and had several stronger performances.

Hopefully we'll see more of that moving forward. 

14 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Correct, at his prime no top club was willing to pay a lot of money KK. Whereas clubs were will to pay for the likes of Higuain etc. 

I dare say the £100m price tag slapped on him by ADL might've been the underlying factor, but you spin whatever narrative you wish. You do it anyway, regardless of the facts. 

21 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

You do it anyway, regardless of the facts. 

The only fact that matters is KK is a carthorse in the PL. 

fook me Higuain was meant to be Sarri’s saviour, PEA was TT attacking man and look how they panned out. 

KK is old and slow and not suited for the PL. He is a bit like your beloved pet who you are keeping alive by giving a Vet stupid amounts of money, when in reality it should be put to sleep to meet his maker. 

off to get my tin hat and body armour “I sense a shoeing coming my way 😳

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Or more accurately ADL continuously priced him out of moves to the several clubs interested over the years, including ourselves, by slapping an f-off equivalent price tag on him. Just as he done with various other good players they've had over the years. 

Just as he's trying to do with Osimhen £150M

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Disappointed things didn't work out, still a good defender despite what same may believe. We saw glimpses in the second half of the season where he had a stronger showing, but alas it was difficult to keep him around as a squad player on the sort of wages he was on. Do think had he stuck around for a second season he'd have performed better, as his metrics in a lot of required areas were actually quite decent and he'd have played a more suitable role than what he did at time last season. 

Alas, it is what it is and wish him all the best. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Disappointed things didn't work out, still a good defender despite what same may believe. We saw glimpses in the second half of the season where he had a stronger showing, but alas it was difficult to keep him around as a squad player on the sort of wages he was on. Do think had he stuck around for a second season he'd have performed better, as his metrics in a lot of required areas were actually quite decent and he'd have played a more suitable role than what he did at time last season. 

Alas, it is what it is and wish him all the best. 

He was a waste of money.Can you not just accept that and stop with the "metrics" bullshit.

Best of luck to KK. I am a believer that he came here a little too late in his career to full get to grips with the PL. however, he did also have some very good performances at times too and we should not re-write history to fit a narrative. His best games tended to be in a back four or centrally of the back three. 
Still, given his age and the money he was on, the chance to move him on and get a chunk of money back, was probably the right call. I wouldn’t have had an issue with him sticking around for another season either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

He was a waste of money.Can you not just accept that and stop with the "metrics" bullshit.

Agree

he must rate as one of the worst buys the club have done for a long time, and to add insult to injury, the club gave him the No 26 shirt

It was like a carthorse running in the gold cup at Royal Ascot,

Not forgetting him being the only CB in the PL who could not jump

Edited by ROTG

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Agree

he must rate as one of the worst buys the club have done for a long time, and to add insult to injury, the club gave him the No 26 shirt

It was like a carthorse running in the gold cup at Royal Ascot,

Not forgetting him being the only CB in the PL who could not jump

Leaves us short on experience in a position where experience is key. Especially given Fofana picks up his fair share on injuries and knocks.

Ps : The Royal Ascot gold cup analogy doesn’t work. It’s a flat race over 2m 4f , so you could argue it is for ‘carthorses’ as most flat races are run from 5f to 12f and not 20f like the gold cup. The reason they are running this distance, is because they don’t have pace. More knowledge required for this to work 😉

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Let's face it, horse racing is just greyhounds for rich people 😉

Tongue in cheek I’m sure. The two are not remotely similar though. It’s also a misnomer that racing is for rich people. For sure , it certainly becomes a lot easier if you are rich. However, I can make you a very long list of people who enjoy and are very successful within the racing world, who are also not rich and we’re not born into that world. 

Anyway , we digress and I am sure no-one is interested in this in a Chelsea forum. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Tongue in cheek I’m sure. The two are not remotely similar though. It’s also a misnomer that racing is for rich people. For sure , it certainly becomes a lot easier if you are rich. However, I can make you a very long list of people who enjoy and are very successful within the racing world, who are also not rich and we’re not born into that world. 

Anyway , we digress and I am sure no-one is interested in this in a Chelsea forum. 

I, for one, love how this forum goes so chaotically off topic. 

• Agree 1

Nothing against the guy and don't think he's a bad defender, but it's clear he was an abject failure when you think about why we invested so much in him. That money and that contract was for someone who could instantly fill the huge void that had opened up at CB for us. He didn't and it seems couldn't do that. One might question the wisdom of anyone at the club thinking he could make that rapid adjustment, but I think it was a reasonable call to make given what we needed and who was obtainable. He just couldn't fit the brief. We've played a blinder getting three years more wages off the books.

Good luck to him.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Absolutely Ham....always comes back to the topic but some great side road meandering, whimsey, humour and often surprisingly enough an insight into seldom exposed topics and personal traits...long may it continue!!!

OUR Forum....not a study syllabus!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ham said:

The Second Law of Thermodynamics says that chaos increases as usable energy is lost, and this progression towards disorder will never reverse. However, recent developments in quantum information physics apparently offer a potential loophole that could lead to chaos actually decreasing over time.

In short, there's hope for us all yet. Or at least a quantum of us.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

The Second Law of Thermodynamics says that chaos increases as usable energy is lost, and this progression towards disorder will never reverse. However, recent developments in quantum information physics apparently offer a potential loophole that could lead to chaos actually decreasing over time.

In short, there's hope for us all yet. Or at least a quantum of us.

What four of us would that be?.... all leads to The Big Bang Theory somehow....

And what about the cfc chaos theory as presented by the usual suspects...The absolute that chaos is engendered or brought to the surface by an increase in over serious discussion, waffle or overbearing opinions?

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I think you are referring to Droy's Law of Diminishing Returns: "The economic principle that as harping on about and offering supposed statistical proof supporting one's position on a particular topic increases, after a certain amount of waffle and fruitless discussion the rate of interest in that topic will diminish markedly until either the new season restarts or a new member unwittingly disagrees with the protagonist, not knowing what he or she is (or indeed they are) letting themselves in for." 

Ah..you Academics!.... absolutely.....I think I missed the original lecture due to watching a real game live...what a wasted opportunity...silly me.

(Pure Gold BM!)

Edited by chara