Reece James - Chelsea Captain

JaneB

On 11/08/2024 at 05:04, johnnybozo said:

Made of glass. One more injury this season after this hamstring is healed and he needs to get sold to Madrid. They like buying our past it Michael Owens for silly money 

Why would Madrid or in fact any other team buy a player who is constantly injured....?

well, maybe we would

Edited by Miguelito07
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Why would Madrid or in fact any other team buy a player who is constantly injured....?

well, maybe we would

Jokes aside, he'd probably still be worth the gamble for a side like Madrid anyway. 

Warmer climate, less demanding league, etc.

Worst case nothing changes and his career fizzes out, upside is one of the best RB's in the world. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So about 10 games in all told this season and we are given no info or clue when James will be back. Initially it was called an injury setback. But All we get is “ we will not rush him back”. 
This is the worry with James . The medical team have no clue on his injury duration. Other players you generally get an idea…. he’s out for about a month or 3 months or the season. But James is so fragile it’s like trying to repair a butterflies wings. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t get any significant minutes this side of Xmas. My sad prediction is he will play about 3 games this season. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

So about 10 games in all told this season and we are given no info or clue when James will be back. Initially it was called an injury setback. But All we get is “ we will not rush him back”. 
This is the worry with James . The medical team have no clue on his injury duration. Other players you generally get an idea…. he’s out for about a month or 3 months or the season. But James is so fragile it’s like trying to repair a butterflies wings. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t get any significant minutes this side of Xmas. My sad prediction is he will play about 3 games this season. 

On the official webpage there was som optimism on Oct14 - I share this optimism - it's all I can do.

"Chelsea were back on the grass at Cobham on Monday, with the welcome sight of skipper Reece James joining in with full training."

"The right-back has been out of action since picking up an injury during our pre-season tour of the USA, but resumed team training today as he continues his return to full fitness."

4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

On the official webpage there was som optimism on Oct14 - I share this optimism - it's all I can do.

"Chelsea were back on the grass at Cobham on Monday, with the welcome sight of skipper Reece James joining in with full training."

"The right-back has been out of action since picking up an injury during our pre-season tour of the USA, but resumed team training today as he continues his return to full fitness."

He's been 'returning to full fitness' for about 3 years now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He's been 'returning to full fitness' for about 3 years now.

Without ever getting there. 

From memory he got injured around Christmas of 2021. Just before then we were on a fantastic run when we destroyed Juve 4-0 in the CL. We looked like genuine title contenders and James was playing unbelievably well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Without ever getting there. 

From memory he got injured around Christmas of 2021. Just before then we were on a fantastic run when we destroyed Juve 4-0 in the CL. We looked like genuine title contenders and James was playing unbelievably well. 

Chilwell went off injured that game. James went a couple of games later. 

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Wrecked our season, and probably was the key factor in us sacking TT, as our form never recovered.

And the mother of all chronic injury crises followed. 

It took until this very week for us to have NO injuries.  

For anyone with a long memory or an in depth knowledge of Chelsea history ...

Ken Shellito was one of my early Chelsea heroes and was developing into a shoo in England long term RB, (George Cohen is said to have acknowledged that had Ken stayed uninjured he would not have been at Wembley in "66),,,a bad injury finished his career at a young age and I am concerned that Reece as a similar England prospect is on the verge of suffering the same fate.

Not dismissing the loss for Chelsea as a long term RB.

I may be having OG blank moments but since Shellito I can't remember a Chelsea RB with the same shoo in potential for England ?...I mean long term not an occasional cap....If I am missing someone then feel free to put me straight!

Added,,,Glenn Johnson,,got to thinking and checked ,,didn't realise he had 54 caps!,,,probably because of gaps in appearances,,,not that shoo in factor...always liked him but funny player,,as I recall very good with distribution.

Still not as good as the two mentioned IMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chara said:

I may be having OG blank moments but since Shellito I can't remember a Chelsea RB with the same shoo in potential for England ?...I mean long term not an occasional cap....If I am missing someone then feel free to put me straight!

We've not really had an English RB play regularly in the last twenty odd years outside of the two you've already mentioned in RJ and Johnson for this to be a possibility anyway.

Off the top of my head Geremi, Boulahrouz, Diarra, Essien, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Bosingwa, Zappacosta, Albert Ferrer have all been or played RB for us in that period. 

The closest is arguably Victor Moses when he played wingback, and even then he plays for Nigeria. 

@xceleryx,,thanks mate,,,, I was really comparing the only two really top English RBs I could remember being ,as I said "shoo ins" for England and the DeJa'Vu injury outcome..I hope not but Reece just doesn't seem to be able to shake off the injury,,,guess by Christmas we will know?

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Off the top of my head Geremi, Boulahrouz, Diarra, Essien, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Bosingwa, Zappacosta, Albert Ferrer have all been or played RB for us in that period. 

Some really great players there! We've really been blessed in that position over the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1