Reece James - Chelsea Captain

JaneB

James’s build makes him very difficult to knock off the ball. It’s part of what makes him so good. Don’t think I’ve seen such a powerful defender. He outmuscles opponents to the extent they just bounce off him. Great player. I wonder if the running up and down the flanks is costing him and that’s why we’ve bought Gusto for that role. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/07/2023 at 16:10, Ham said:

A new tattoo as a message to Mount? 🤔

Most likely a nod towards his own injuries, if he has another injury hit season it might be worth having him quit so we can cash in and give his space to a player who is less injury prone. I have no doubt at all about his quality, dedication or abilities, but his only 23 and is already struggling to shake off injuries. We've all experienced the frustration on Pulisic being injury prone and James seems to be going the same way, there's already news of scans in the training camp happening and if he can't get fit for the start of the season then he won't get a much needed fresh start.

6 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

Most likely a nod towards his own injuries, if he has another injury hit season it might be worth having him quit so we can cash in and give his space to a player who is less injury prone. I have no doubt at all about his quality, dedication or abilities, but his only 23 and is already struggling to shake off injuries. We've all experienced the frustration on Pulisic being injury prone and James seems to be going the same way, there's already news of scans in the training camp happening and if he can't get fit for the start of the season then he won't get a much needed fresh start.

Unlike Pulisic though, Reece has talent. Even if he's only fit enough for 20 league games a season he can still be an impactful player. Of course, it would virtually rule him out as being a captain candidate and an automatic first choice, but there's still a usefulness there to be had. This would however put an abundance of pressure on Gusto to immediately step up and deliver. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Unlike Pulisic though, Reece has talent. Even if he's only fit enough for 20 league games a season he can still be an impactful player. Of course, it would virtually rule him out as being a captain candidate and an automatic first choice, but there's still a usefulness there to be had. This would however put an abundance of pressure on Gusto to immediately step up and deliver. 

If hes going to become our Ledley King I'd rather sell him. Sounds brutal but its a business after all. seeing him hobbling off after every half a dozen games or so is becoming too commonplace.

1 hour ago, NFAS said:

If hes going to become our Ledley King I'd rather sell him. Sounds brutal but its a business after all. seeing him hobbling off after every half a dozen games or so is becoming too commonplace.

If he's that level of injured/unavailable who'd want to invest money into acquiring such a player? Seeing Reece break down isn't great, but it only hurts as much as it has done because we've not had a more fitting alternative to turn towards when he's been out. He's still going to be better than your usual run-of-the-mill backup, which for me makes the gamble more worth taking.*

*Providing we're not trying to deal with other injury prone players throughout the squad on top. 

3 hours ago, NFAS said:

If he has an injury prone season, he will be the next on the clubs £250k PW get them off the books conveyor belt

Just now, ROTG said:

If he has an injury prone season, he will be the next on the clubs £250k PW get them off the books conveyor belt

Would you be happy paying someone a million pounds a month for a year where they miss half of the games then? 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Would you be happy paying someone a million pounds a month for a year where they miss half of the games then? 

No, however you have to look at the economic of have top quality player who get injured vs cost replacing him with a like for like e.g. what is the going rate and salary for a RB of Reece's quality.

16 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No, however you have to look at the economic of have top quality player who get injured vs cost replacing him with a like for like e.g. what is the going rate and salary for a RB of Reece's quality.

True. But he’s so important that when he’s injured, it seems to affect us so much. I know someone who worked at Cobham in the Roman era and I can tell you that the medical facilities and physios at least then really were the best of the best. Absolutely elite. If there’s some sort of MSK issue with Reecey they would have found it. Reecey is my fave player by miles but if he never plays…and I hate saying this…what’s the point of him being here? 😔 

• Agree 2

What concerned me last season was not just the injuries yet the time to get up to his previous levels and I am not sure that happened the last time before he was inured again.

It truly is looking bleak for him,

7 minutes ago, jasonb said:

What concerned me last season was not just the injuries yet the time to get up to his previous levels and I am not sure that happened the last time before he was inured again.

It truly is looking bleak for him,

He was definitely playing within himself , don't know why , team orders maybe seeing as we were so easy to beat?

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He was definitely playing within himself , don't know why , team orders maybe seeing as we were so easy to beat?

I wonder if the choice was surgery or try to work through whatever this issue is/was? 

I think we're now at the surgery stage if this is the same thing again. I'd rather lose him for 6 months to have him for 6 years after rather than see this go all Jack Wilshere on him.  That really would be a terrible thing to happen to such a good player (both in terms of ability and character) 

• Agree 1

On 14/07/2023 at 03:07, xceleryx said:

I tihnk that's unfair on Pulisic, the guy had(and maybe still does) bags of talent, his huge injury and the small niggling ones that followed derailed his progress. However, I'd say lessons learned, if James can't stay fit enough to start for at least 75% of the season then cash in and use the money to bring in the next world talent. Also as you say the pressure would be on Gusto, so I'd rather have 2 fit right backs sharing the load than 1 crocked right back and 1 that's being run into the ground without rest; or when they are rested there's someone playing out of position to fill a void.

30 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

I tihnk that's unfair on Pulisic, the guy had(and maybe still does) bags of talent, his huge injury and the small niggling ones that followed derailed his progress. However, I'd say lessons learned, if James can't stay fit enough to start for at least 75% of the season then cash in and use the money to bring in the next world talent. Also as you say the pressure would be on Gusto, so I'd rather have 2 fit right backs sharing the load than 1 crocked right back and 1 that's being run into the ground without rest; or when they are rested there's someone playing out of position to fill a void.

If "they sold Reece James for £120m they'd waste it on unproven children for project 2030

15 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

Don't believe it's unfair on Pulisic at all personally. He was never that highly talented, even going back to his time at Dortmund. He showed promise of course, and there were glimpses of possibly a decent enough player there, but he's always lacked consistency to his game and failed to hold down any sort of spot in a team. Using his injuries as justification for his struggles is merely trying to find an excuse. Not to say they haven't had an impact but his injuries aren't why he constantly makes poor decision, why he plays with his head down with regularity, doesn't make those around him better, can't stay on his feet, and so on. He's simply a one dimensional player with little variety, not overly difficult to combat once familiar. 

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent unrelated to the main topic. I'd still keep RJ even in his current state, as I originally mentioned. 20 games a season of Reece is still going to better than what we'd likely get from a replacement unless we're signing someone like Hakimi. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice, just hope he can stay fit, was half expecting Silva to be vice captain at least, but I guess they went with long term options. The twitter mob not very happy with Chilwell as vice captain, which makes me like it even more. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Like 3