Reece James - Chelsea Captain

JaneB

Hmm...I'm sure after all the upheaval of the last few months there are some interesting back stories here.

Even taking the injuries into account Reece could have cut and ran with a nice little earner in his bank account and a better cash input for Chelsea than MM..sorry no way is he afforded any other name.. but seems he chose to stay ...looking a bit deeper the "divide" in the dressing room seems to become clearer.

We all tended to take MM's side and castigated Chelsea for not getting the issue sorted but with 20/20 hindsight it looks to me as if it was a long haul campaign to move on by MM and some serious unprovable "tapping up" somewhere along the line.

Reece and his Sister are on their way to Chelsea solid Legend status...to get there the players need to show us the same loyalty we show them week in week out,,,just saying.

Captain's arm band is not an afterthought.

• Agree 1

Fully in favour of this, provided he can command the dressing room and stay off the physio's couch. So far, looks good.

Good luck, Reecey - this has been a long time coming, and very welcome in my view.

3 hours ago, chara said:

Hmm...I'm sure after all the upheaval of the last few months there are some interesting back stories here.

Even taking the injuries into account Reece could have cut and ran with a nice little earner in his bank account and a better cash input for Chelsea than MM..sorry no way is he afforded any other name.. but seems he chose to stay ...looking a bit deeper the "divide" in the dressing room seems to become clearer.

We all tended to take MM's side and castigated Chelsea for not getting the issue sorted but with 20/20 hindsight it looks to me as if it was a long haul campaign to move on by MM and some serious unprovable "tapping up" somewhere along the line.

Reece and his Sister are on their way to Chelsea solid Legend status...to get there the players need to show us the same loyalty we show them week in week out,,,just saying.

Captain's arm band is not an afterthought.

After reading your post, I did a quick Google search because I was sure I heard Chilwell was a big boyhood Chelsea fan before joining us.

Was rather perturbed when I found this on TOCWS (sorry MT) 

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/my-first-game-as-a-fan-ben-chilwell

Could have been written by he who cannot be named - should we call him Voldermort or is that reservered for Jonjo Shelvey?

Anyway, well happy with Reece as captain, and Chilwell as vice. Only reservation is hoping they can both stay fit to be on the pitch, but they both seem committed to the club. Thiago Silva has the experience but continuity is important (and marketable)  and Thiago leads in his own way on the pitch regardless, apparently not so vocal in the dressing room. Loved what I've heard from Reece and also his dad over the past year, let's hope he wins as many trophies as our last 3 captains 💙 

Happy for both Reece James and Chilwell, both good choices given what we've got on offer. 

Just a matter of both staying fit and Reece controlling his temper a little. 

Good thing about both of these in leadership roles is that they're players capable of making telling impacts in games, which is good for those occasions where we're not quite performing as desired or need that extra spark. 

Also an obligatory f you Mason Mount, this is what a real Chelsea lad looks like. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I cannot seem to find information that Chilly is VC on the official website. Where have you all read that? 

Same.

A few journo’s have referenced it (eg Nath Gissing) but haven’t seen anything official.

Suspect it’s true mind you…

I can't remember the last time I was so delighted for a player when something happened. Reece as Chelsea captain just feels right doesn't it.  

I hope he can stay fit - he's such a presence for us already and now he seems to be making it clear he wants the responsibility of leading the club. Good on him. 

• Agree 3

Could be,and I hope it is. the "making" of Reece...doesn't seem a "worrier" and the responsibility apparently doesn't frighten him.

My only concern is his sometimes over aggressive response to one on one faceoffs....

Fine up to a point but he needs to remember his "other" job now.

If I sound a bit negative, I apologise because I am delighted for him and wish him every success and look forward to watching his development.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Could be,and I hope it is. the "making" of Reece...doesn't seem a "worrier" and the responsibility apparently doesn't frighten him.

My only concern is his sometimes over aggressive response to one on one faceoffs....

Fine up to a point but he needs to remember his "other" job now.

If I sound a bit negative, I apologise because I am delighted for him and wish him every success and look forward to watching his development.

I think (and I truly hope) that by giving Reece the captaincy it will reign in his quick temper as he’ll now be the on-field leader and hopefully will lead by example.

A great choice for captain and quite possibly the next JT.

• Agree 2