Official: Arsenal sign Jorginho for £12M

JaneB

If you look at it purely as a business decision, which I'm sure Clearlake did, it kind of makes sense to sell. We aren't going to be challenging Arsenal for the title, or in a scrap with them for 4th place, so once the decision is made to sell it makes no difference to our season in a sporting sense if he were to sign for Arsenal or Southampton (unless you fear we will be in a relegation dog fight with them 😫) He also probably makes little long term improvement to Arsenal to worry about, we probably weren't going to renew his contract, and we have just made a league record signing as his replacement. Of course it is different for fans as there will be some emotion attached to it potentially helping Arsenal win the league, but somebody has to win it and it won't be us. It probably does leave us a little short in midfield in the very short term with our injuries, so that is one sporting impact it will have, but I guess the owners manager are hopeful that Enzo can balance that out with is qualities

18 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Ornstein said on the Athletic Football Podcast it is £11m plus £1m if they qualify for the CL and £1m if they win the league. Would have loved to keep him until the summer but it makes sense long term to take the cash. 

I do think the way Arsenal set up will probably suit him and he will do pretty well there for a year or two. 

However, I would be much more scared of them as long term challengers had they signed Mudryk and Caicedo - serious lack of ambition shown this window and I think it will bite them in the long run. 

Hope we get Caicedo in the Summer to fully rub it in. 

19 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Ornstein said on the Athletic Football Podcast it is £11m plus £1m if they qualify for the CL and £1m if they win the league. Would have loved to keep him until the summer but it makes sense long term to take the cash. 

I do think the way Arsenal set up will probably suit him and he will do pretty well there for a year or two. 

However, I would be much more scared of them as long term challengers had they signed Mudryk and Caicedo - serious lack of ambition shown this window and I think it will bite them in the long run. 

Hmmm £10m it is then.

I’m going to miss him purely for the fact that when his name pops up in a match day forum all the fun starts.

Personally never got what he was all about. Couldn’t defend, couldn’t attack, couldn’t pass more than 5 yards and that damn penalty run up used to do my head in! (All my opinions, obviously)

Hope he enjoys his time at the Chelsea FC retirement home.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, chrisb said:

I’m going to miss him purely for the fact that when his name pops up in a match day forum all the fun starts.

Personally never got what he was all about. Couldn’t defend, couldn’t attack, couldn’t pass more than 5 yards and that damn penalty run up used to do my head in! (All my opinions, obviously)

Hope he enjoys his time at the Chelsea FC retirement home.

This is what I won't miss.

How such a hopeless player won the CL and the Euros in the space of a few months must really confuse people.

Sarri, Lampard, Tuchel, Mancini, Potter.........they all got it so wrong. 

55 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

How such a hopeless player won the CL and the Euros in the space of a few months must really confuse people.

And played a pivotal role in both at that.

Just now, Lump Of Celery said:

Did anyone watch the arsenal game? I didn't but twitter suggesting he had a terrible cameo, and Everton scoreda minute after he came on

Yeah, I watched it. He was neither good nor bad, so I wouldn't take much stock in what Twitter has to say.

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2023 at 09:59, paulw66 said:

Welcome back Paul I've missed your nonsense.Jorginho's career could be nothing more than serendipity.He was part of  TEAMS that happened to be successful.

Not saying he is a waste of space but he is a player that needs his teammates to cover for him on(many) occasions.

12 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Welcome back Paul I've missed your nonsense.Jorginho's career could be nothing more than serendipity.He was part of  TEAMS that happened to be successful.

Not saying he is a waste of space but he is a player that needs his teammates to cover for him on(many) occasions.

So do many other players, including some of the best ones. 

Lampard benefited massively from having Makelele and later Mikel and Matic. 

Kante benefited massively from having more disciplined partners that would sit and  allow him to roam freely upfield to win the ball.

Pirlo benefited from the grunt work that Gattuso and Ambrosini did. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

Of course he was part of a team. 

Every player is. Teams that win things don't tend to have too many poor players, and whilst we can all agree that he has / had his limitations, he is far from the terrible* player some make him out to be. 

*I was responding to a post that implied he was not good at anything. 

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

All players have weaknesses that the team need to try and account for. There are no free rides at the top level of football - if a title chasing Napoli, a World Champion Chelsea, a Euro winning Italy and a top of the table Arsenal were all willing to to try and accommodate his weaknesses he must have some pretty great strengths to warrant being in those teams. Maybe just maybe if he were part of 1 good team but too many clubs and managers have bought and continued to pick him for it to be luck. Madness to make him sound like some competition winner.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

All players have weaknesses that the team need to try and account for. There are no free rides at the top level of football - if a title chasing Napoli, a World Champion Chelsea, a Euro winning Italy and a top of the table Arsenal were all willing to to try and accommodate his weaknesses he must have some pretty great strengths to warrant being in those teams. Maybe just maybe if he were part of 1 good team but too many clubs and managers have bought and continued to pick him for it to be luck. Madness to make him sound like some competition winner.

Thank you. 

On 09/03/2023 at 12:09, kev61 said:

As is every other successful player out there!

I think Jorginho is a player who does a job in modern football that is perhaps under appreciated. Given that players are fitter like athletes turnover of possession can be fatal and part of that is controlling things by keeping possession-that is what a good jorginho does. Havertz is another player that some dont seen to get unless he scores. Football has moved on from the 70s and 80s where crunching tackles and running around like a loon was important as was a big out and out goal getter.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ham said:

Harry Kane?

Well you could argue that this period has actually been successful for a club the size of Spurs. When was the last time they consistently qualified for Europe?

I know this is probably a hot take but you oculd also argue that for all the goals he has scored and the hype he gets... maybe Spurs and England not winning anything in part down to Kane? He's been part of some very good teams and I think if he was really that good he'd have got them over the line at least once - look at what Gerrard did on occasion with the scousers. 

On 09/03/2023 at 10:11, FrankLampard8 said:

There are no free rides at the top level of football 

Really?Would you say we are/were a top level team?.

I would say we are/were the epitome of a free ride for many players, that's why we are top heavy with crap players that are on a fortune who we can't get rid.

16 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

maybe Spurs and England not winning anything in part down to Kane? He's been part of some very good teams and I think if he was really that good he'd have got them over the line at least once - look at what Gerrard did on occasion with the scousers. 

OH FFS Gerrard was playing in a much better team.Kane is a superb player playing in a team that is frankly not worthy of him.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

I think Jorginho is a player who does a job in modern football that is perhaps under appreciated. Given that players are fitter like athletes turnover of possession can be fatal and part of that is controlling things by keeping possession-that is what a good jorginho does. Havertz is another player that some dont seen to get unless he scores. Football has moved on from the 70s and 80s where crunching tackles and running around like a loon was important as was a big out and out goal getter.

I guess it's a nuance that the average fan just can't grasp in today's game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2023 at 02:09, kev61 said:

OH FFS Gerrard was playing in a much better team.Kane is a superb player playing in a team that is frankly not worthy of him.

Sorry but Spurs have had plenty of talent over Kane's tenure - certainly enough to win a cup. He is also yet to really show up in a tournament for England bar banging in a few penalties (and missing one when it mattered most) in teams that were among the favourites. 

Gerrard played in some very good Liverpool teams but he also played with some absolute  dross and won in the process - have you seen the team that started in Istanbul?!

Don't get me wrong, Kane is a Premier League great but for me he has just always come up just short of what he should have achieved - but of course that's just my opinion.