Official: Arsenal sign Jorginho for £12M

JaneB

46 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Back in the Abramovich era we sacked managers but we had the continuity of the players. Today you could argue that the only regulars with any sort of Chelsea identity are James and Chilwell and both of them spend more time injured than actually playing. If we go back to sacking managers every 18 months (on a good day) then we are going to end up with a club entirely dislocated from its supporters.

No argument with your viewpoint HM only to ask do you think we are well on the way to that at this moment in time?...anyone?

7 minutes ago, RDCW said:

We are already there.

I have followed Chelsea under a lot of coaches/managers...from the greats to the somewhat uninspiring.... but never ever felt in such a strange twilight zone time as now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think you are confusing speculators who seek opportunities to enter and exit the market in order to get profit for a quick turnaround (e.g. someone like Soros) and investment companies who seek to build value over the long term. The latter base their decisions on strategies that seek to achieve a particular position in the future with the least risk. Often that means accepting short term losses and even seeking paths that do not maximise short term gains.

All the same, there may be value in considering your analogy with respect to Potter. As investment people, Clearwater et al. are likely to be considering the long-term prospects for the business. They will be focusing on things like squad building, increasing match day revenues, facilities and so on. But, in the longer term, they will be looking to enhance the assets they have acquired (and to grow their value) through ancilliary business. I expect to see them pushing lots of partnership deals especially those that focus on building different kinds of customer relationships in the worldwide base of fans. From that perspective, Potter is only a very small component, but one they will try to stick with because they know the value of stability in a (currently) very unstable world.

I agree with some of your points.An investment company invests in the long term is true,but what do you call long term?.I would imagine ten years max(when they can contractually sell the club) otherwise Todd and co will unlikely see the fruit of their labour.

I agree Potter is a small component in the grand scheme of things but if we don't get rid of him(if things don't dramatically get better until the end of the season) and he is still in charge next season it will show clearlake have no idea.

I can't see that happening, Boehly  and co are not fools,it's quite easy to predict Potter has until the end of the season and if he hasn't improved things dramatically he will be gone.

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

let me make it clearer.

I also believe this was a cause of some failings.

What failings?.Please don't tell me Mourhino should have been given more time!

We set the trend for sacking managers "early doors" much to the horror of the great and the good in football pundits.

Now clubs are all doing it.If only we could rid of players so easily!.

On 26/03/2023 at 02:54, kev61 said:

What failings?.

I thought I had made that fairly clear in a previous post.  Do you honestly think across the 19 year RA tenure, there were zero mistakes? 

After 2 title wins in 3 years, there 3 more in the next 16. I believe that could have should have been more, given the level of talent and investment at the club throughout that period. 

Again, for avoidance of doubt, I am not having a go at our greatest ever owner, but let's not pretend he got everything right. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1