Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

Seems like the training might be too much for the players, at Southampton the players confronted Poch, at Spurs it gassed them out, at PSG the players just ignored his demands.

Something needs to be changed somewhere, while we have so many injuries the training needs to drop down a notch to help protect those left, otherwise us fans might as well start bringing our boots and shinpads to games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

Seems like the training might be too much for the players, at Southampton the players confronted Poch, at Spurs it gassed them out, at PSG the players just ignored his demands.

Something needs to be changed somewhere, while we have so many injuries the training needs to drop down a notch to help protect those left, otherwise us fans might as well start bringing our boots and shinpads to games. 

Losing a stupid amount of players to similar injuries has not suddenly occurred under the auspices of Pochettino.

Last season they were dropping like flies .

It has to be the terrain they are playing on or the boots they are wearing as they have stayed constant whereas the people taking the training and the people conditioning the players have changed but the results have stayed the same.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Losing a stupid amount of players to similar injuries has not suddenly occurred under the auspices of Pochettino.

Last season they were dropping like flies .

It has to be the terrain they are playing on or the boots they are wearing as they have stayed constant whereas the people taking the training and the people conditioning the players have changed but the results have stayed the same.

Well Paco Biosca and Thierry Laurent were both kicked out when TB came in, and he then outsourced some of the medical work to a private company, the man privatised the club's health service; how very US!

I think someone somewhere needs to do something, Poch must be tempted to just tell them to train from home at this rate.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Another shroud signing by Winstanley & Stewart.

It's an ankle injury. He's not dead. 

5 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

Well Paco Biosca and Thierry Laurent were both kicked out when TB came in, and he then outsourced some of the medical work to a private company, the man privatised the club's health service; how very US!

I think someone somewhere needs to do something, Poch must be tempted to just tell them to train from home at this rate.

Our injury record was as bad, if not worse, prior to the takeover. 

I remember a game at Wolves during COVID when we tried to get the game abandoned because we could barely put a team out. 

As per tradition, the PL told Chelsea, and only Chelsea, to play the game. Everyone else had games cancelled. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ham said:
6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Another shroud signing by Winstanley & Stewart.

It's an ankle injury. He's not dead. 

Oops - Shrewd "early morning reply on a stupid phone, whilst being bounced on the bus on route to overlook the flock"

That said he might feel like a piece of dead wood in a couple of month or whenever he is fit with the limited amount of opportunities he will get this season

At the moment we have the following players injured or not yet fully recovered;

Broja (knee), Badiashile (groin), Chukwuemeka (knee), Nkunku (knee), Bettinelli, James (hamstring), Chalobah (hamstring), Fofana (knee) and apparently Lavia (ankle). 

This is actually a fairly light injury list. Last season it was never smaller than 5 and oftentimes much more. At one stage I think we had 13 players out injured. 

It is very obvious that we have a massive issue in the medical department and have had for some time. 

• Like 1

Is it the fault of the medical department if a player gets injured? Were they pushing them back too soon, I suppose that they are responsible but, if anything, they seem to be keeping them out for longer than is normally necessary. Maybe it is simply the consequence of an excessive training regime, or maybe the competition for places is such that players go all out in training under their own steam. Maybe they are simply spending their training time playing on the edge of an injury precipice common to all elite sports. Or maybe, it's just bad luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Is it the fault of the medical department if a player gets injured? Were they pushing them back too soon, I suppose that they are responsible but, if anything, they seem to be keeping them out for longer than is normally necessary. Maybe it is simply the consequence of an excessive training regime, or maybe the competition for places is such that players go all out in training under their own steam. Maybe they are simply spending their training time playing on the edge of an injury precipice common to all elite sports. Or maybe, it's just bad luck.

Don't think it has a single thing to do with the medical department personally. That's obviously gone through an overhaul in the last 12 months or so, but we had issues well before those changes occurred. You can even go all the way back to the early 2010's see similar problems being had. 

For me I think the big three factors for our present day issues include;

• Signing players with prior injury histories and greater susceptibility.
  • The introduction of high pressing football to an already physical and up tempo league.
  • The demise of proper off-seasons for players, which goes on to negatively impact pre-season work and the fitness levels players enter the season with. You can't really make up for a lack of a proper pre-season during a season. 

There's always going to be injuries and bad luck, some of ours have simply just been nothing more than that. However, the above can certainly amplify the problems further. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Maybe Pothead’s training was too soft which led to injuries during matches and when players challenged each other during training. As for Lavia it could just be one of those things, who knows?

He was said to have been injured by a challenge in training.  

It would be interesting to see the footage to see whether it was stupidity on anyone's part. 

• Agree 1

On 10/09/2023 at 09:50, Sleeping Dave said:

At the moment we have the following players injured or not yet fully recovered;

Broja (knee), Badiashile (groin), Chukwuemeka (knee), Nkunku (knee), Bettinelli, James (hamstring), Chalobah (hamstring), Fofana (knee) and apparently Lavia (ankle). 

This is actually a fairly light injury list. Last season it was never smaller than 5 and oftentimes much more. At one stage I think we had 13 players out injured. 

It is very obvious that we have a massive issue in the medical department and have had for some time. 

Perhaps minor in the grand scheme, but that is by no means a light injury list. It is 9 players, of what I would consider to be a 27 man squad (based on the official site, disregarding players who weren't given squad numbers and the any keepers beyond Sanchez, Petrovic and Bettinelli). So 33% of the squad. A third. It is not as disastrous as points last year, but still huge.

And that's before you consider who is injured. Irrespective of how any of us rate them, that's three of last year's typical starting defenders (when they were fit!). Then our (likely) best attacker, and one of only two STs at the club. 

I couldn't say what it was, but this is not normal and it is clear something about the medical and physiological management of our players is not working as it should.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Perhaps minor in the grand scheme, but that is by no means a light injury list. It is 9 players, of what I would consider to be a 27 man squad (based on the official site, disregarding players who weren't given squad numbers and the any keepers beyond Sanchez, Petrovic and Bettinelli). So 33% of the squad. A third. It is not as disastrous as points last year, but still huge.

And that's before you consider who is injured. Irrespective of how any of us rate them, that's three of last year's typical starting defenders (when they were fit!). Then our (likely) best attacker, and one of only two STs at the club. 

I couldn't say what it was, but this is not normal and it is clear something about the medical and physiological management of our players is not working as it should.

It was a comment made in jest, 9 is of course huge by any normal standards. The comment was supposed to be sarcastic since 9 is a light injury list by our standards. Sorry for not being very clear! 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 11:13, Sciatika said:

It’s a fair question. I remember that under Jose Mourinho MK I he introduced a fairly extensive supervision of players to ensure we did not overstretch them. What does that even mean you might ask? Well you are simply supervising the players key metrics, accumulated fatigue and such to ensure that you avoid unnecessary injuries. Serious knee injuries can happen, that’s just bad or little luck. But hamstrings and muscle tears are injuries that can be mitigated by making sure your players aren’t overstretched. 

I don’t buy xcelerys thesis below regarding high press. That’s not something we have done very much of since Jose’s teams and Contes first season. Perhaps a slight reintroduction under Tuchel but still nothing like Jose’s teams. We never had these issues under Jose, of course we had injuries but not 30% of the squad… Perhaps it is the players we’ve bought, perhaps we haven’t taken pre-season serious enough. Could be many factors. But something isn’t right, that’s for sure. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don’t buy xcelerys thesis below regarding high press. That’s not something we have done very much of since Jose’s teams and Contes first season. Perhaps a slight reintroduction under Tuchel but still nothing like Jose’s teams. We never had these issues under Jose, of course we had injuries but not 30% of the squad… Perhaps it is the players we’ve bought, perhaps we haven’t taken pre-season serious enough. Could be many factors. But something isn’t right, that’s for sure. 

I thought last season ws high press under all 3 managers.  It was basically middle team PL football where the high press is supposed to make up for a lack of quality.
Why else would Mount and Gallagher get so many games at AM when they were clearly meant to be the replacements for Kovacic and Kante we needed.  When you play RLC at CM or WB but not in his proper AM positions (because he hasn't got the legs to put that much effort in) but put box box CMs in at AM the strategy seems obvious.  (And standard methods for a team lacking confidence).

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It’s a fair question. I remember that under Jose Mourinho MK I he introduced a fairly extensive supervision of players to ensure we did not overstretch them. What does that even mean you might ask? Well you are simply supervising the players key metrics, accumulated fatigue and such to ensure that you avoid unnecessary injuries. Serious knee injuries can happen, that’s just bad or little luck. But hamstrings and muscle tears are injuries that can be mitigated by making sure your players aren’t overstretched. 

High pressing creates adds more high intensity work, which increases the demand on the body, and combing that with players more susceptible to injuries, and in an already physically demanding league with less time off for players it's not hard to see it being a contributing factor.

I think it's a little disingenuous to say we've not used high pressing football since Mourinho and Conte, it may not be in the same manner but we certainly saw it under Sarri (big reason he played Kante higher up), then obviously Tuchel, Potter and even Lampard in various degrees. We've placed a huge emphasis on winning the ball back quickly despite being a possession based side with the ball.

Another thing to consider is the use of wingbacks over fullbacks during a lot of this period. There's a huge workload played upon the role, far greater than that of how standard fullbacks used to largely operate. This is one area we're we've had huge injury issues. 

This little article also highlights we've had a regular spate of injuries going back to the 2010's, with knee's and hamstrings being the two most common.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/chelsea-injury-record-since-2009-10-season

For those that don't wish to view basically the tl;dr is 126 injuries recorded over 5 seasons.

• 09/10 - 33
  • 10/11 - 24
  • 11/12 - 29
  • 12/13 - 19
  • 13/14 - 21

With April and December being the two trending months for injures to happen.