Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Caicedo and Madueke available for Sunday

That's not exactly what I heard in the press conference.
Would be surprised if Caicedo features at all given he's not been in team training - maybe in the squad though.
Madueke off the bench seems possible.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Reece, Trev and Chuk are all close to returning to full training. 

Cannot wait to get Chuk back.  I remember seeing him boss it for England U 21s scoring goals out of absolutely nothing for fun.  

Just a matter of weeks after first noticing him, we'd bought him.  I was chuffed.

The goal against West Ham was the first time I'd seen him do what he'd done for England and then the footballing gods caught me smiling and put the kybosh on things.  

I'm genuinely giddy at the thought of what he's capable of.  

• Agree 1

So Chilwell has aggravated his hamstring. Again. Whether or not the "fake PT" was kosher or not the point remains valid. To constantly have such a high number of soft tissue, non impact related injuries in the squad does beg the question what are we doing to address it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Holymoly said:

So Chilwell has aggravated his hamstring. Again. Whether or not the "fake PT" was kosher or not the point remains valid. To constantly have such a high number of soft tissue, non impact related injuries in the squad does beg the question what are we doing to address it?

What can realistically be done? We've had soft tissue injury issues for years upon years now, that's only increased further with the demand on players being greater with pressing football and shorter off-seasons. Some players are also just more susceptible to injuries than others. 

The medical staff has seen plenty of change over the last 10 years or so, there's only so much that can be done in this area as well. 

I think ultimately the biggest remedy is to do proper due diligence on future transfer targets and make sure we're not continuing to invest in players who've showcased a trending injury history. 

As I repeat until the cows come home, the issue isn’t only that our squad lacks experience in numbers, it’s also that our supposed leaders are so injury prone. James, Chilwell, and Nkunku are seniors we can only expect to be out for long periods now. That leaves us with Disasi, Cucurella, Sterling and the oldest player in the league.

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Chilwell injury looks bad apparently. 

Maatsen better take his chance. 

If it's any consolation. it will put a stop to this Chilwell at LW nonsense.

Meanwhile, could this be the break that saves Cucurella's Chelsea career? He did well on Wednesday

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If it's any consolation. it will put a stop to this Chilwell at LW nonsense.

Meanwhile, could this be the break that saves Cucurella's Chelsea career? He did well on Wednesday

Yes we finally saw the Cucurella who beasted Lukaku when he was at Brighton. 

Mind you that's a bit of a backhanded compliment given the circumstances. 

27 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I honestly think we need to cut our losses with Chilwell. As much as I rate him, he just cannot stay fit. Colwill was very good last night and we also have Maatsen this season, so the impact of him being out shouldn't be felt as bad.

Never thought I would agree with this viewpoint...a while back I did post a "coldeyed" look at Reece and Chilly..at their best they pretty much walk into the side but when did we last see them in tandem, fully fit and functioning on a regular match run of games?

The question is will either of them come back and cope with the physical grind of the game?

Just a thought...watching the amazing level of fitness right up to the final whistle and the well documented comments regarding the less than acceptable levels last season at least..and looking back maybe before that..I wonder if the last of the "old squad" has suffered from that lack of intensity and now that is catching up?..a factor?..just a thought.

11 minutes ago, chara said:

Just a thought...watching the amazing level of fitness right up to the final whistle and the well documented comments regarding the less than acceptable levels last season at least..and looking back maybe before that..I wonder if the last of the "old squad" has suffered from that lack of intensity and now that is catching up?..a factor?..just a thought.

It is a long injury and the new guys are just as brittle.

32 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I honestly think we need to cut our losses with Chilwell. As much as I rate him, he just cannot stay fit. Colwill was very good last night and we also have Maatsen this season, so the impact of him being out shouldn't be felt as bad.

Maybe that thought would be better assessed after the Oct, Nov games. 

Let’s see how colwill, Maatsen perform against the likes of saka, Maddison , son bossuma to name a few when they will need to defend at pace and more than likely be turned, unlike last night

42 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Maybe that thought would be better assessed after the Oct, Nov games. 

Let’s see how colwill, Maatsen perform against the likes of saka, Maddison , son bossuma to name a few when they will need to defend at pace and more than likely be turned, unlike last night

Yeah, very true, although they’ll definitely do a better job than Chilwell who will still be on the treatment table.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I honestly think we need to cut our losses with Chilwell. As much as I rate him, he just cannot stay fit.

I rate him as well but he hasn’t been at his best this season and then he gets his usual injury, we have an injury prone captain and vice captain, we need them fit and this is no good, one is bad enough but both is too much. However Cucurella and Maatsen’s futures are still up in the air to a degree, Maatsen won’t sign a contract and the club will cash in unless he does so. 

Edited by Floyd25