Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

On 03/10/2023 at 16:26, chara said:

The question is will either of them come back and cope with the physical grind of the game?

Did I see a picture recently seeming to suggest that James had shed a load of weight? I think his bulk, and the associated forces on his joints, is one of the factors that leads to the recurrence of his injuries.

Chilwell on the other hand has only become injury prone since joing us. He had a couple of bad ankle injuries back in 2018 but then missed only 9 games over the next three years while playing for Leicester. The recent hamstring issues are more than likely a result of his body subconsciously reacting to protect the more serious cruciate injury. Whether that will continue to be an issue who knows, but I'm not about to fling him out with the bathwater at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's why we've been giving out eight year contracts so we get a least one good month out of them

If you knew you might have a dodgy knee and two clubs were offering you contracts ..........

• Like 1

Reece James is starting to become a bit of a liability to be honest, much like Chilwell on the other side. We base so much of our game on the way James plays his game, that whenever he’s out, we have to readjust, although the signing of Gusto does minimise this a bit more than previous seasons.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reece James is starting to become a bit of a liability to be honest, much like Chilwell on the other side. We base so much of our game on the way James plays his game, that whenever he’s out, we have to readjust, although the signing of Gusto does minimise this a bit more than previous seasons.

In the past I'd agree but with Poch's arrival we've transitioned away from our FB/WB's being as influential in our build up play. Whether that's been intentional and would've happened regardless, or if it's been an adjustment that's come due to both first choice options being out, it's certainly been a notable change.

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

In the past I'd agree but with Poch's arrival we've transitioned away from our FB/WB's being as influential in our build up play. Whether that's been intentional and would've happened regardless, or if it's been an adjustment that's come due to both first choice options being out, it's certainly been a notable change.

Yes, we have gone to playing 2 or 3 Kante's in midfield.
I suspect that was aways the plan - at least it was certainly the budget.

7 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Is this the time when we are seriously considering whether we can ever get a full season out of James and Chilwell?

It is beyond worrying that two of our best players are out injured at least 30-40% of a season... 

would rather have them for 60-70% of a season than their backups for 100% of a season 

12 hours ago, xceleryx said:

• Like 1