Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

Ben Chilwell – joined full team training for reconditioning phase.

● Carney Chukwuemeka – joined full team training for reconditioning phase.

● Benoit Badiashile – beginning reconditioning phase.

● Trevoh Chalobah – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme

● Marc Cucurella – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

● Wesley Fofana – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

● Reece James – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

● Romeo Lavia – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

● Robert Sanchez – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

● Lesley Ugochukwu – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

I will assume that Chilwell and Carney will play a few minutes and then back in the list 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Got the be the last chance for Chilwell. If he breaks down with another long term injury, we need to move on and invest in a top LB.

We need to anyway as Pochettino appears to believe he's a winger for some unknown (cowardice based I expect) reason. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Got the be the last chance for Chilwell. If he breaks down with another long term injury, we need to he'll never move on and invest in to a top cLuB.

fixed

• Agree 1

Chilwell...just turned 27...should be at his peak but has missed to all intents and purposes 3 (?) seasons ?

If he can't get back on a regular basis from now (soon) until the end of this season then I think the writing is on the wall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

Chilwell...just turned 27...should be at his peak but has missed to all intents and purposes 3 (?) seasons ?

If he can't get back on a regular basis from now (soon) until the end of this season then I think the writing is on the wall.

you might need to add James and Forfana. With honourable mentions to Lavia and Carney (joking of course.....but maybe not)

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

you might need to add James and Forfana. With honourable mentions to Lavia and Carney (joking of course.....but maybe not)

Many a true word etc!!!🙃🔎

The Chukwuemeka and now Ugochukwu setbacks are really concerning.

One seems to have been misdiagnosed entirely. The other rushed back and injured again because the manager dare not use an academy player when the squad is stretched. 

• Agree 1

Either were buying players who have a history of injuries and its therefore the board who are to blame for not doing their research, or there is something seriously wrong with training and / or the medical facilities. This is beyond a joke now....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Either were buying players who have a history of injuries and its therefore the board who are to blame for not doing their research, or there is something seriously wrong with training and / or the medical facilities. This is beyond a joke now....

Maybe some players aren't made for two hours of Rondos every day. 

I can't see any evidence of any other coaching going on. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe some players aren't made for two hours of Rondos every day. 

I can't see any evidence of any other coaching going on. 

👍👍👍

It does seem a team selected on Rondo peformances.

• Like 1

Nkunku out for 3 weeks. Very bad timing. 

I fail to see how we're blaming Poch for injuries. He wasn't here last year and we had injuries. He wasn't here the year before that and we had injuries.

Different managers, different squads, different training methodologies.

The questions need to be raised at a higher level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrina F. said:

Nkunku out for 3 weeks. Very bad timing. 

I fail to see how we're blaming Poch for injuries. He wasn't here last year and we had injuries. He wasn't here the year before that and we had injuries.

Different managers, different squads, different training methodologies.

The questions need to be raised at a higher level.

Must clarify, it's still just a report right now, not official. "Hip injury" so who knows. 

I think this is Nkunku's second set back from his earlier serious injury, not looking good.

Just hoping he does not join our crocked list of James, Fofana and Chilwell.

Still it is good Broja has found the net to give him some belief as we will need him with Jackson at Afcon. 

Edited by jasonb

Well, French journalists usually very close to players, are saying Nkunku is OK and should be available for the next game or 2.

Let’s hope it’s true. We really really need him in the 2nd half of the season if we’re to achieve a modicum of success.

On 07/01/2024 at 07:44, Miguelito07 said:

We have signed players with some questionable track records with injury, but overall the increase in injuries have been a long time coming and spread league wide. 

Said it on several occasions but high pressing football in the Premier League, an already high tempo and physical league on its own, has gone on to exacerbate matters further. Players can't play 2-3 games per week at this sort of intensity without eventually hitting a wall, which will either result in a drop off in form, injury, or both.

All of this then gets amplified further when there's more games being played, the increased travel, the diminishing time off over an off-season, proper pre-season's not being had, and managers often having to now use the first few weeks of a season as faux pre-season games to get players up to speed. 

We're getting to a point where teams won't be able to have "first choice" options that'll routinely start, instead it'll be more about having larger squads and more rotation so players can have their minutes and workload managed in an attempt to preserve their health. 

Never fell into the narrative of blaming the club, ownership, or the medical team. It's all changed over the years, and we've had an issue with hamstring, knee and muscle injuries going all the way back to like 2009/2010. The biggest change that's happened has been the football environment itself. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We have signed players with some questionable track records with injury, but overall the increase in injuries have been a long time coming and spread league wide. 

Said it on several occasions but high pressing football in the Premier League, an already high tempo and physical league on its own, has gone on to exacerbate matters further. Players can't play 2-3 games per week at this sort of intensity without eventually hitting a wall, which will either result in a drop off in form, injury, or both.

All of this then gets amplified further when there's more games being played, the increased travel, the diminishing time off over an off-season, proper pre-season's not being had, and managers often having to now use the first few weeks of a season as faux pre-season games to get players up to speed. 

We're getting to a point where teams won't be able to have "first choice" options that'll routinely start, instead it'll be more about having larger squads and more rotation so players can have their minutes and workload managed in an attempt to preserve their health. 

Never fell into the narrative of blaming the club, ownership, or the medical team. It's all changed over the years, and we've had an issue with hamstring, knee and muscle injuries going all the way back to like 2009/2010. The biggest change that's happened has been the football environment itself. 

Agree with parts of this, like signing players prone to previous injury isn’t going to help matters (ie Fofana).

A few questions on other bits however….

1.  Is there actually more games being played?  I haven’t looked at the stats but I know the PL hasn’t increased in size and the cup competitions remain the same format (I think).   If anything I’d have thought the last few years we are playing less games than any point over the last 10 years?  There is also now a winter break now. 

2.  Appearances by individual over the past few years must be lower also.  Partly due to squad size,  partly due to the fact we get so many injuries, but other than Gallagher and Silva this year and Mount previously, we don’t really have any ever-presents.  Majority of our injuries are from players with just a handful of appearances (Nkunku, Chilwell, James, Chukwuemeka, Lavia etc) 

3.  Why do we seem to consistently be at the top of the ‘injuries table’ ?   I appreciate they may be up across the league, but we are always ‘top’

4.  Why do we get so many re-occurrences?  Nkunku, Lavia, James, Chukwuemeka have all gotten injured this season after coming back from an injury. 

I think this is one area where we need big improvement and fast. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Agree with parts of this, like signing players prone to previous injury isn’t going to help matters (ie Fofana).

A few questions on other bits however….

1.  Is there actually more games being played?  I haven’t looked at the stats but I know the PL hasn’t increased in size and the cup competitions remain the same format (I think).   If anything I’d have thought the last few years we are playing less games than any point over the last 10 years?  There is also now a winter break now. 

2.  Appearances by individual over the past few years must be lower also.  Partly due to squad size,  partly due to the fact we get so many injuries, but other than Gallagher and Silva this year and Mount previously, we don’t really have any ever-presents.  Majority of our injuries are from players with just a handful of appearances (Nkunku, Chilwell, James, Chukwuemeka, Lavia etc) 

3.  Why do we seem to consistently be at the top of the ‘injuries table’ ?   I appreciate they may be up across the league, but we are always ‘top’

4.  Why do we get so many re-occurrences?  Nkunku, Lavia, James, Chukwuemeka have all gotten injured this season after coming back from an injury. 

I think this is one area where we need big improvement and fast. 

1. I would say there has to be given the added Conference League and Nations Cup stuff in more recent years. And I believe we'll have an increase in Champions League fixtures next season once the format changes (although, I could be wrong here I've not really cared to look since it doesn't impact us at present). Most players probably haven't seen an increase but those at the very top may have. From memory Bruno Fernandes played 70 odd games in a single season across club and country a few years back. 

2. For us specifically, yeah it probably has changed because of injuries and having to spread minutes out across more of the squad to fill in those gaps. Going back to like 14/15 we had 5 players topping 4000 minutes total, with another 4 with 3000+ minutes, then a couple in that 2000 bracket. I'd be shocked if we had anything as lopsided as that since. 

3. Some of it probably comes back to having a handful of players that continuously struggle to stay fit so they're always on the list, where as other teams are getting one off type situations to deal with. Their players then come back and stay fit which reduces their number of outs. It may also come back to us signing more players who have had injury troubles in the past. 

4. No real definitive way to answer that I guess. Some of it could just be down to players not having a pre-season because of injury, having to return mid-season, find fitness, and because of the intensity they have experience upon return they can't manage and pick up other issues. Some of it can just be extensions of their previous injury, or simply bad luck and pick up standard issues that are part and parcel of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shouldn't forget the impact Covid would have had as well, as it meant players had a sudden unexpected stop, not just to playing matches, but going in for training which includes condition training and other such things they do to retain fitness etc. This also meant we had a late end to the season and a smaller gap before starting the next season, throw in the winter world cup, it meant some players (Mount was one) seemed to end up playing almost non-stop football for a couple of years.

Add in the overseas pre-seasons and this won't help either.

I do agree with @xceleryx that the modern game isn't helping at all.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2024 at 19:19, Dwmh said:

fixed

you think another long term injury will endear him to a top club? 

wow. 

52 PL starts in 3.5 years. 

Or 19 in the last 1.5 years. 

Form an orderly queue, big clubs.

Edited by paulw66

On 06/01/2024 at 11:27, Bison said:

The Chukwuemeka and now Ugochukwu setbacks are really concerning.

One seems to have been misdiagnosed entirely. The other rushed back and injured again because the manager dare not use an academy player when the squad is stretched. 

Like Gilchrist?

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Plenty of clubs have, or have had at some point circa 10 players missing at various stages. 

This is completely out of kilter against previous years.

Modern style of play, and for me, the constant stop-start nature (due to VAR) plus the ludicrous added time is all causing increased muscle injuries.

• Like 1

Yes, it's fair to say injuries have increased league & football wide, and even clubs who recently had a stunning injury record, like City and Arsenal, are getting them too.

However, has one of those clubs fired their entire medical department and made radical changes in them post COVID? Because that's what happened at Chelsea.

Pre-COVID we had overall a decent injury record, not the best but just about average. 2021-2022 happened, we played 65 games and lots of injuries and COVID cases occurred in that season.

Then new ownership, medical teams changed mid-season (which seems close to irresponsible IMO), completely new players, and the record's ... gotten worse?

Players under Potter didn't run enough. Players under Pochettino run too much. Managerial blame is incoherent. 

There's just something off about our situation. Doctors with 15 years experience at the club departed, and things got worse. 

It's worthy of raising questions.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1