Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

The increase in injuries is 100% down to the introduction of VAR.

It is physically impossible to play such a high paced, high intensity sport such as football with so many, sometimes far too long breaks in play.

I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on and became a real talking point.

19 minutes ago, ozzie said:

It is physically impossible to play such a high paced, high intensity sport such as football with so many, sometimes far too long breaks in play.

I agree. That, with the increased minutes at the end of each half. It's another 10% onto game time

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

A thought that often crosses my mind...to have a "warm up" pre match and a "warm down" post match only to have often long "stops"..injuries..seem to take longer to deal with...var etc seems counter productive and dangerous in a muscle sense.

3 hours ago, ozzie said:

Tennis? 

But if you are correct and it's solely down to VAR (which I don't believe it is exclusively) why don't any of the teams start jogging on the spot or go for a light run, stretching etc. 

I can't believe that a single medical / conditioning team in the premier league wouldn't have cottoned on to this if it was that influential. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Rob B said:

1.  Is there actually more games being played?  I haven’t looked at the stats but I know the PL hasn’t increased in size and the cup competitions remain the same format (I think).   If anything I’d have thought the last few years we are playing less games than any point over the last 10 years?  There is also now a winter break now. 

Quite, not by us anyway.  But all those ex Chelsea players who went to CL clubs have been fit and playing regulary - Pulisis and Kante even.

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

you think another long term injury will endear him to a top club? 

wow. 

52 PL starts in 3.5 years. 

Or 19 in the last 1.5 years. 

Form an orderly queue, big clubs.

No - I said his only chance to get away is a run of being fit.

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Plenty of clubs have, or have had at some point circa 10 players missing at various stages. 

This is completely out of kilter against previous years.

Modern style of play, and for me, the constant stop-start nature (due to VAR) plus the ludicrous added time is all causing increased muscle injuries.

Nobody else has had that for three seasons straight though.  

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

Quite, not by us anyway.  But all those ex Chelsea players who went to CL clubs have been fit and playing regulary - Pulisis and Kante even.

Kovacic has missed 6 City games through injury. On par with his Chelsea record. 

Jorginho was rarely injured for Chelsea and that hasn't changed at arsenal. He's not injury prone.

Havertz only missed 10 games through injury in his Chelsea career.  He's not injury prone. 

Mason Mount missed 19 matches through injury in his entire Chelsea career and he's already missed as many games for United in half a season.

As for the rest, they aren't playing twice a week to include the ultra marathon that is the premier league.

Don't let the facts get in the way though.  Carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Jorginho was rarely injured for Chelsea and that hasn't changed at arsenal. He's not injury prone.

Havertz only missed 10 games through injury in his Chelsea career.  He's not injury prone. 

Mason Mount missed 19 matches through injury in his entire Chelsea career and he's already missed as many games for United in half a season.

As for the rest, they aren't playing twice a week to include the ultra marathon that is the premier league.

Don't bother, he's had this pointed out to him before but always finds a way to tip toe around it to keep the narrative going. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Well I'll start with Pulisic and Kante again.
Havertz  missed 16 games with us, not 10.
Mount missed 19, true - of which 13 were in 22/23.

Pulisic, RLC and the rest...   When did they ever play twice a week?

2 hours ago, Ham said:

I won't.  I'll keep reminding you.

This PNE win seems to have gone to people's head.  That and the Luton win suddenly has made us a good team in some people's eyes.  They are in for a shock if they start watching us.

Edited by Dwmh

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Havertz  missed 16 games with us, not 10.
Mount missed 19, true - of which 13 were in 22/23.

Pulisic, RLC and the rest...   When did they ever play twice a week?

I won't.  I'll keep reminding you.

This PNE win seems to have gone to people's head.  That and the Luton win suddenly has made us a good team in some people's eyes.  They are in for a shock if they start watching us.

Havertz missed 10 through injury.  The others were COVID related.  Not even you can blame the club doctors for the Wuhan "accident". 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Havertz missed 10 through injury.  The others were COVID related.  Not even you can blame the club doctors for the Wuhan "accident". 

I'm sure he has a "theory" he has about everything else .

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Don't be putting challenges out there we'll all regret having to live through. 

COVID and Tiktok. A two-pronged attack.

Chemical warfare and a Trojan Horse both unleashed at the same time.  The only kids who can't access TikTok? The Chinese.

Mission: De-stabilise the West. 

Only half joking about COVID but convinced on TikTok.  

10 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Physically less intense leagues.

Kante is playing in a virtual amateur league in a nice warm climate. It's ridiculous to pretend the situation is comparable 

16 hours ago, Ham said:

So Covid is no longer an injury - don't you think that is pushing weasel definitions a bit far?

23 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

So Covid is no longer an injury - don't you think that is pushing weasel definitions a bit far?

Is this what it's come down to?

No I wouldn't list COVID when trying to discuss whether a player is injury prone. 

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Is this what it's come down to?

No I wouldn't list COVID when trying to discuss whether a player is injury prone. 

No it comes to a long list of players who are fitter at other clubs than they were here.  

And don't geet me started on how fit the players we bought were at their previous clubs last year.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Rubens was because of his back though, yeah? 

no idea of why it happened, but it clearly happened after the Achilles injury.
Prior he had this stupid looking pigeon step style of running in very very short steps.
It looked stupid - but it was very very fast.
After he had a natural stride length.  It looked a lot classier but he was no longer rapid.

My guess is that it was the short stride length that caused the back injury (though he may have been exaggerating that).
And it was the Achilles that lead him to being shown how to run normally.