Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

On 18/01/2024 at 21:27, Dwmh said:

Todd Boehly has overseen a number of backroom changes since his arrival. Former medical lead Paco Biosca left after 11 years in the role while head physio Thierry Laurent was shown the door after 17 years of service

I hesitate to say this.  Third time lucky?

A case of ‘rip it up and start again’ form of USA, USA, USA 🇺🇸 management. 

If at first we don’t succeed, we’ll keep on f**king it up until we chance on the right solution!

48 minutes ago, east lower said:

I wonder how many of the ‘Walking Dead’ will make Lazarus type recoveries from their long-term injuries to be considered for the League Cup Final? 🤔

It would certainly be interesting if we go into that final with James, Chilwell and Nkunku all fit and raring. 

1 hour ago, east lower said:

I wonder how many of the ‘Walking Dead’ will make Lazarus type recoveries from their long-term injuries to be considered for the League Cup Final? 🤔

none.

Probably be more injuries by the time the final comes round :classic_sad:

Edited by Miguelito07

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It would certainly be interesting if we go into that final with James, Chilwell and Nkunku all fit and raring. 

Problem might be keeping Chilwell fit, might be too soon for James - didn’t he have the same operation as Badiashile and the surgeon was quoted as saying he’d gave him ready for the Euro’s ( great!). 

Nkunku and Lavia - god only knows. 

Nice to see Chukuwmeka back though, I thought he was improving significantly before his injury.

Edited by east lower

2 hours ago, east lower said:

Problem might be keeping Chilwell fit, might be too soon for James - didn’t he have the same operation as Badiashile and the surgeon was quoted as saying he’d gave him ready for the Euro’s ( great!). 

Nkunku and Lavia - god only knows. 

Nice to see Chukuwmeka back though, I thought he was improving significantly before his injury.

We just need to be smart with Chilwell and eventually James when he returns. They can't play 90 minutes every game moving forward, at least until they're able to string together a lengthy injury free run.

May not be ideal to have to have a couple premeditated subs but if the alternative is not having either for months on end throughout a season it's a worthwhile sacrifice to make. 

22 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We just need to be smart with Chilwell and eventually James when he returns. They can't play 90 minutes every game moving forward, at least until they're able to string together a lengthy injury free run.

May not be ideal to have to have a couple premeditated subs but if the alternative is not having either for months on end throughout a season it's a worthwhile sacrifice to make. 

Chilwell in particular has been mis-managed. 

I am attempting to be polite but Chilwell is one or more of these:

1. Too brave

2. Too stupid 

3. Doesn’t know his own body 

Reason I say this is he’s done his hamstring at least twice this season in the last 15 minutes of the game when making breakneck runs. 

The coach and his team should also know this and save Chilwell from himself and get him off the pitch at 65-70 minutes. James on the other hand has hamstrings made of tissue-paper and until (if) the doctors can find a way of holding them together we may never get to see the best of him.

They both may turn out to be one game a week merchants or 70 minute players, both scenarios are ok as long as we have mitigation to cover them.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

Chilwell in particular has been mis-managed. 

I am attempting to be polite but Chilwell is one or more of these:

1. Too brave

2. Too stupid 

3. Doesn’t know his own body 

Reason I say this is he’s done his hamstring at least twice this season in the last 15 minutes of the game when making breakneck runs. 

The coach and his team should also know this and save Chilwell from himself and get him off the pitch at 65-70 minutes. James on the other hand has hamstrings made of tissue-paper and until (if) the doctors can find a way of holding them together we may never get to see the best of him.

They both may turn out to be one game a week merchants or 70 minute players, both scenarios are ok as long as we have mitigation to cover them.

I'm not going to criticise a player for giving it 100% when out on the pitch, even if they maybe shouldn't for the benefit of their own health. I do think he needs to be a bit smarter in terms of how he plays though in terms of adjusting his game so he's not putting himself in as many situations where he feels he needs to go from 0-100 to get involved or make a play. 

Do agree though that we need to manage him better as a whole, with that 60-70 mark being workable sweet spot. 

If that's all either play end up being moving forward that's fine, as you said it just means having the appropriate cover so any adjustments made are as seamless as possible to the general setup and approach of our play. We've got that with Gusto IMO, who I think is a really talented option. And while I'm probably in the minority when it comes to liking Cucurella, someone with a bit more attacking influence wouldn't be frowned upon. 

14 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not going to criticise a player for giving it 100% when out on the pitch, even if they maybe shouldn't for the benefit of their own health. I do think he needs to be a bit smarter in terms of how he plays though in terms of adjusting his game so he's not putting himself in as many situations where he feels he needs to go from 0-100 to get involved or make a play. 

Do agree though that we need to manage him better as a whole, with that 60-70 mark being workable sweet spot. 

If that's all either play end up being moving forward that's fine, as you said it just means having the appropriate cover so any adjustments made are as seamless as possible to the general setup and approach of our play. We've got that with Gusto IMO, who I think is a really talented option. And while I'm probably in the minority when it comes to liking Cucurella, someone with a bit more attacking influence wouldn't be frowned upon. 

The two mentioned are more than good enough for cover, Gusto probably having a higher ceiling than Cucurella. 

Professional footballers need to understand their bodies, by the time January comes the majority of them are playing with niggles or minor injuries, the smart ones manage this and know when to say whoa - aided and abetted by a good set of doctors and physiotherapists.

Do we need a brave or smart set of players? Well the answer is both, but self-awareness is also vital.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, east lower said:

Their probably lies the problem when looking from above, this is basically a one game per week season and both broke down.

One can assume questions being asked on whether a 250k assets  who are only available for 25 - 35% of the season is good business.

IMO there is something broken in the medical department amaybe combined with  something as simple as type of ground they train on at cobham or even Poch's training methods, i certainly don't agree with the pressures & intercity of the PL, especially when one considers no europe. 

Type of players recruited and their injury history before joining the club, but that is for another day 😀

50 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Their probably lies the problem when looking from above, this is basically a one game per week season and both broke down.

One can assume questions being asked on whether a 250k assets  who are only available for 25 - 35% of the season is good business.

IMO there is something broken in the medical department amaybe combined with  something as simple as type of ground they train on at cobham or even Poch's training methods, i certainly don't agree with the pressures & intercity of the PL, especially when one considers no europe. 

Type of players recruited and their injury history before joining the club, but that is for another day 😀

There may be a number of factors with the hamstring, knee and ankle injuries that we see. Ours seem acute in the number of players affected and seriousness (length of time out and recurrence).

I'm also convinced that good medical teams can help to prevent injury, alongside sports science, body mechanics and nutrition.  We never used to suffer the quantity and seriousness in the past.

We ought not to forget the individual players pre-determined susceptibility to an injury type ala Michael Owen.

Another couple of theories I have are that the academies are fine tuning the body structures of growing boys - who knows what the longer term effect of this is and playing elite level games at such a young starting age - I.e. being at full-tilt every game.

Second one is the pitches they play on - they are always hard and jar joints etc. They are composite grass/woven artificial  grass with hard granular strata to aid drainage with drainage systems. Because I sit so close to the pitch you can hear how hard they are when the ball is bounced and how high it bounces. There's just little 'give' in the playing surfaces and the training ground pitches replicate the real pitches - double whammy!

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2

Malo Gusto – in full training.

Christopher Nkunku – in full training.

Trevoh Chalobah – in team training for reconditioning phase.

Levi Colwill – beginning rehabilitation programme. 

Marc Cucurella – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Wesley Fofana – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Reece James – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Romeo Lavia – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Robert Sanchez – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Lesley Ugochukwu – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Good thing he secured his future with that 7 year deal. 

Not to mention the "all singing all dancing good old US of A medical" that TB arranged because he didn't trust the in house ones. 

Top work 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I wonder when this was posted? There was pic on Sunday with him and his boots out on the grass

4 days ago.  But it doesn't pretend to be hot news, just talking about his season and several others
https://www-onzemondial-com.translate.goog/equipe-de-france/equipe-de-france-chelsea-mauvaises-nouvelles-pour-fofana-et-nkunku-870065?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Not to mention the "all singing all dancing good old US of A medical" that TB arranged because he didn't trust the in house ones. 

Top work 

I posted a while back saying there were leaks/worries that he may struggle to play again and that he has degenerative issues inside his knee/s.

Sounds like they might have had a point. 

The owners had plenty of ‘flags’ as regards his injury record.

Worse is it’s the waste of this young man’s talent and waste of money that could have been so much better used - in that order of importance.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Bison said:

Good thing he secured his future with that 7 year deal. 

Tbf, I'd assume we're insured to the gills on our signings. 

Anyone see this? Sometimes research is about breaking new ground, other times it's just about giving what should be blindingly obvious a bit more credence. This is on hamstrings specifically but I'd be confident rings true for muscle injuries generally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Tbf, I'd assume we're insured to the gills on our signings. 

Anyone see this? Sometimes research is about breaking new ground, other times it's just about giving what should be blindingly obvious a bit more credence. This is on hamstrings specifically but I'd be confident rings true for muscle injuries generally.

Sound plausible enough. Poch by most accounts is a very demanding coach fitness wise and the stuff about the Gacon test is well publicised. I can imagine going from a standard coach to somebody like Poch, Conte etc. would take a significant toll on a player's body. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Sound plausible enough. Poch by most accounts is a very demanding coach fitness wise and the stuff about the Gacon test is well publicised. I can imagine going from a standard coach to somebody like Poch, Conte etc. would take a significant toll on a player's body. 

Yes, or at least the adaptation between that and a less physically rigorous regime. The study's basic conclusion is, though, that changing the head coach/manager in itself doesn't matter and doesn't have any great impact on the likelihood of injury. What does escalate it is changing the fitness staff at the same time.

Loads has contributed to our fitness woes, we can see looking elsewhere in the PL that it isn't just us (Man Utd, Newcastle and Brighton have had it bad recently, too. Probably others I haven't noticed). But these owners clearing house when they didn't need to has been a huge contributing factor. I'd liken it to shooting ourselves in the foot, but recovering from that would probably be quicker and easier.

(I just happened to refresh my screen, not sat here waiting for replies in case I look mad!)

• Like 2