Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

They just don’t make footballers the same way they did 30 years ago. 

The ones made today are absolute wankers who call and cry to their agent the minute they are sat on the bench. 

One of my best friends are on the staff for one of the best national sides in the world - I.e. he is coaching one of the best 20 national sides in world footballl. The stuff he’s telling me is mind blowing. Footballers today wouldn’t last 5 seconds dealing with a real life job. 

When I played, I did everything I could to play every game I could. As it appeared that most of the professionals did - injections etc. Not that, that was ok for them in the longer term.

Today’s players seem to do the polar opposite.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, east lower said:

When I played, I did everything I could to play every game I could. As it appeared that most of the professionals did - injections etc. Not that, that was ok for them in the longer term.

Me too...took me years to get some sense and know when to back off and let an injury heal properly...and I mean years.

It's getting the balance right,,,Enzo, for example,  playing for so long last season with a hindering injury was madness.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Every time I see this thread has a new post, I’m wondering who has done their ACL n pre-season.

I wish I could put a laughing emoji but too close to the truth..shudder.😓

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Tosin, in an interview after training, "I've been out there, and I've seen so many sick players, so just everyone, to be honest, everyone's nice to play with. So it's just going to be a sick team." :classic_sad:

This was meant to be a joke.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chara said:

Me too...took me years to get some sense and know when to back off and let an injury heal properly...and I mean years.

It's getting the balance right,,,Enzo, for example,  playing for so long last season with a hindering injury was madness.

On reflection, medical teams didn’t have the influence on decisions on who plays or not back then, that they have now.

On 10/07/2024 at 19:06, east lower said:

I remember an old World in Action ITV documentary featuring former players from the 60s and 70s who'd played through serious injuries, often after cortisone injections. Ian Hutchinson was one of them, and his knees were a complete mess. Another player was Liverpool's Geoff Strong, who did his ACL in the first half of a big European tie, but had to stay on for the second half because there were no subs back then. I don't think he ever played again.

Hard to believe given the state of our injuries, but medical care of footballers has improved beyond all recognition.

• Agree 2

On 11/07/2024 at 05:06, east lower said:

That's sport science for you. Something that we're seeing across all sports mind you, not just football.

In the NBA it's become a big problem in recent years with players, including the stars, being "injured" so they can rest when it comes playing back to back's, or being load managed as it's often referred as. 

The state of modern football probably hasn't helped this either with the intensity of certain leagues, no Christmas breaks, the increased fixture congestion, the limited off-season players, the late return to pre-season many internationals have due to being given extended breaks, and so on. 

In fairness, there's clearly long term individual benefits to players post-career by having their fitness managed. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I remember an old World in Action ITV documentary featuring former players from the 60s and 70s who'd played through serious injuries, often after cortisone injections. Ian Hutchinson was one of them, and his knees were a complete mess. Another player was Liverpool's Geoff Strong, who did his ACL in the first half of a big European tie, but had to stay on for the second half because there were no subs back then. I don't think he ever played again.

Hard to believe given the state of our injuries, but medical care of footballers has improved beyond all recognition.

Indeed it has, but the question for me is how much reliance and at what point does the player and coach get a say? We all must realise and have experienced how ‘risk-adverse’ professions are now.

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

That's sport science for you. Something that we're seeing across all sports mind you, not just football.

In the NBA it's become a big problem in recent years with players, including the stars, being "injured" so they can rest when it comes playing back to back's, or being load managed as it's often referred as. 

The state of modern football probably hasn't helped this either with the intensity of certain leagues, no Christmas breaks, the increased fixture congestion, the limited off-season players, the late return to pre-season many internationals have due to being given extended breaks, and so on. 

In fairness, there's clearly long term individual benefits to players post-career by having their fitness managed. 

Prolonging careers by years could be worth 10’s of millions to some players, and for me it’s as much about the governing bodies doing their bit to reduce the number of games (FIFA, UEFA) and travel strain this adds. But, they won’t as it’s all about their own organisation’s financial well-being and individual interests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

We played a 3 X 45m game against Leeds today. 

Good point we won 5-1 

Bad point Lavia got injured again. 

None of that happened Mark.  Two twitter bullshitters.  

Lavia tweeted to say it was bollocks about him being injured and the first team played the U21s.  Wasn't even 5-1.  

9 hours ago, Ham said:

None of that happened Mark.  Two twitter bullshitters.  

Lavia tweeted to say it was bollocks about him being injured and the first team played the U21s.  Wasn't even 5-1.  

Wow.

What a bunch of tossers. I saw it on two different accounts too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Wow.

What a bunch of tossers. I saw it on two different accounts too.

Your own fault to be honest. You should have known it was a lie when they said Mudryk got a goal and an assist.

Edited by Bison
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Bison said:

tenor.gif

To be fair, it was only a matter of time. This we should have known and planned for.

Perhaps any of the lottery tickets we have bought can be coached into playing an inverted RB role as back-up to Gusto? After all, we now have a coach that actually coaches. Or so I’m told. Shouldn’t be a problem 😀

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Been told its incredibly minor and certainly not 'an injury setback'.

He felt something, a slight twinge so he's out tomorrow as a precaution but that's about it.

To be fair, it’s enough for him to fee something to know it’s only a matter of time before it’s major again. 

• Like 1