Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Who will be captain tomorrow?

Enzo seems to be the next in line after Chilwell, who Maresca never picks, so I presume it’ll be given to Enzo. Should be Gallagher, but, the club have ruined that.

Given Gallagher’s sale, Reece’s inevitable injury and Chilwell’s exile from the team, it is going to be interesting to see who gets the captains gig this season.

Enzo and Colwill are pretty much the only viable choices that I see and there would be lots of people who wouldn’t have these two in our best XI.  I mean, I’m not sure Enzo even speaks the language does he? 

For all of the talent in our team, we really are devoid of some of the basics I.e. leadership. 

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Given Gallagher’s sale, Reece’s inevitable injury and Chilwell’s exile from the team, it is going to be interesting to see who gets the captains gig this season.

Enzo and Colwill are pretty much the only viable choices that I see and there would be lots of people who wouldn’t have these two in our best XI.  I mean, I’m not sure Enzo even speaks the language does he? 

For all of the talent in our team, we really are devoid of some of the basics I.e. leadership. 

Yep, said it for months and months that we needed to get some experience in this summer. It’s just never going to happen is it. Big error, in my opinion.

• Agree 1

They should all be very vocal. Personally, I prefer the captain to be in the back line because they should be able to see what is going on ahead of them, Also, preferably someone not constantly injured.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Been told its incredibly minor and certainly not 'an injury setback'.

He felt something, a slight twinge so he's out tomorrow as a precaution but that's about it.

Quite normal when you’re recovering from that sort of injury: take a break if you get a twinge - and it can take a while. My TFCC (wrist injury) early last year cost me months recovery, and it’s still not perfect - told to take a few days off every time it twinges - made a mess of my golf, that’s for certain.  Hopefully Reece’s hams will get stronger with time.

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Enzo seems to be the next in line after Chilwell, who Maresca never picks, so I presume it’ll be given to Enzo. Should be Gallagher, but, the club have ruined that.

Enzo?  Is all forgiven then?  Wouldn't be my choice anyway.

I would definitely give it to Chilwell but regrettably no point.

What a state to get into.  All those players and not one stand out captain.

• Agree 1

Personally I’d have Sterling or Cucurella as second captain after Reece. 

Yea I know. But such is the state in the squad. They’d certainly be a lot better than both Caicedo and Fernandez. Disasi, Badiashile and Fofana aren’t even options. Colwill probably too young but mostly too inexperienced. Chilwell won’t play much. None of the keepers are options either. Jackson perhaps in the future. 

16 minutes ago, JaneB said:

He wouldn’t be my choice at all, but he seems to get hit handed to him when others aren’t on the pitch.

We really do have no stand out candidate do we? Which says a lot about the make up of the current squad. I remember reading that last season Bettinelli was voted/asked by the players to be the representative for conversations with management. Nothing against our 3rd choice keeper, but if we don’t have anyone in the first team that can do that job, it’s a massive concern. Who pulls the team together on the pitch when things get a bit difficult? The answer is nobody at the moment, especially now Silva is gone.

Remember when we had a team full of leaders? Cech, Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Drogba. 

• Love 2

22 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

On the bright side, no injury update before this match as there's only one player injured! Ahead of the first match last season we had at least 5 players out, if not more.

That was as good as it got as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Just read an interesting analysis of how injuries/ player availability impact a team's ability to challenge for the title. We know we've had the worst injuries of any club in Europe in recent seasons, and we've been pathetically uncompetitive in that time. Who knows how we'd have done without those injuries (and who knows what difference they have made to the overall stability of the club). But it's always been obvious that a few key injuries will massively disrupt a teams's campaign. Our injuries have been so bad it's not been possible to even identify a first choice XI, whereas the current best XIs at Arsenal and Liverpool practically pick themselves. I'd say City have a few more permutations.

Man City and Arsenal both had the same number of players available for 30+ games last season; 14.

That's 14 players who made the pitch or sat on the bench for 30 or more games and were therefore "fit" on a match day.

For Liverpool, that number was 3 (Virgil, MacAllister and Diaz).

Arsenal had 4 players who played over 3,000 minutes last season, Liverpool 1, and Man City none.

Players that played over 75% of total available minutes: Arsenal 7, Man City 6, Liverpool 3.

Players that played 60 minutes on average per game - Arsenal 9, Man City 11, Liverpool 5.

Aside from wage bills, the management of squad minutes is by far the most reproducible indicator of a successful league title challenge over the last decade or so (the "post-Fergie" Premier League).

The formula goes something like this; a team needs a "core" group of 6-8 players who will play 75% of the minutes their team plays, another group of a further 4-6 players who will play 60% of the minutes, and a smaller third group of 1-3 players who will play over 33% of available minutes. This is true for every league champion since 2013, with the exception of Leicester (who had 10 players who played 75% of minutes and 3 others who managed more than half).

Last season, again, only Man City managed to stay within these "parameters". Liverpool were miles off it, with all the injuries and all, but Arsenal came close...

That was posted by on the comments page on the Guardian website.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bison said:

Lavia simply isn't going to be a consistently available player. 

He retweeted someone who tweeted that he wasn't injured and that the club was just managing his load. 

On 11/08/2024 at 13:31, JaneB said:

I would have made Trevoh, Ben, Raheem, Reece... captain.

Oh wait. 🙃

Maybe JT could lace up?

Edited by bertles86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bertles86 said:

I would have made Trevoh, Ben, Raheem, Reece... captain.

Oh wait. 🙃

Maybe JT could lace up?

Maybe we can buy back Conor for £80m on a 9 year contract (with that all-important club option for another year!)

Edited by Michael Tucker
Silly emojis -again!
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Ham said:

He retweeted someone who tweeted that he wasn't injured and that the club was just managing his load. 

Ahh OK fair enough, load management at 20 years old is perfectly normal. Nothing to see here at all. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

Ahh OK fair enough, load management at 20 years old is perfectly normal. Nothing to see here at all. 

A 20 year old coming back from a year out. 

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

A 20 year old coming back from a year out. 

Would be nice if people in charge of squad planning knew as much. They have left us short handed by pretending this wasn't the most likely outcome. 

17 minutes ago, Bison said:

Would be nice if people in charge of squad planning knew as much. They have left us short handed by pretending this wasn't the most likely outcome. 

OK, I'll ask the obvious:  we have so many players that it's almost obscene. How did the owners leave us 'short handed'?

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

OK, I'll ask the obvious:  we have so many players that it's almost obscene. How did the owners leave us 'short handed'?

Well presumably lack of cover at DM. 

If Lavia has a problematic season then Casadei or Veiga are the cover right? If Veiga plays DM in place of a missing Lavia, then we don’t have any LB cover...unless we still count Chilly as a Chelsea player?

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Seriously? We have so many players now that we hardly know what to do with  them all. I really doub that we lack cover anywhere on the field. 

We only have 24 players in the first team squad, assuming Chukwuemeka is on his way out, and within that group we look light in DM and up front.