Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

8 hours ago, bertles86 said:

Well presumably lack of cover at DM. 

If Lavia has a problematic season then Casadei or Veiga are the cover right? If Veiga plays DM in place of a missing Lavia, then we don’t have any LB cover...unless we still count Chilly as a Chelsea player?

If Veiga is covering at DM and Cucurella is injured then Colwill moves over to LB. If Colwill is injured as well then it's just a massive amount of bad luck to have all those things happening at once.

The squad cannot cover for every single eventuality, however, I do think Ugochukwu going out on loan was a mistake as he would have been a decent backup option for Lavia. That said, Ugochukwu spent a season not playing a lot of football last season, so the club is probably keen to get him a decent amount of football this season, which is not something they could guarantee if he stays at the club. I imagine the club see it as 4 players for 2 CM positions (i'd have had a 5th myself, but Veiga can move into that position if we're desperate).

For pretty much all positions we have 2 players from what I can see, not all with a top-quality backup option, but a backup option all the same. That's probably what you would want your squad to look like IMO.

GK: Sanchez/Jorgensen

RB: James/Gusto
RCB: Fofana/Disasi
LCB: Colwill/Adarabioyo/Badiashile
LB: Cucurella/Veiga

CM: Lavia/Caicedo/Enzo/KDH

RM: Madueke/Palmer/Nkunku
CAM: Palmer/Felix/Nkunku
LM: Neto/Nkunku/Mudryk

STK: Jackson/Guiu/Nkunku

We also currently have Casadei, Chukwuemeka and Kellyman and I would imagine at least 1 of them will be staying with the first team this season.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

I bet Lavia and James wont be ready for the team following the international break.

Time to give Acheampong a go at right back instead of Disasi.

Looks like Casadei and Chukwuemeka are part of the first team, I don't think they were ever sent to Coventry. 

Assuming Chilwell doesn't get a move it would make a lot of sense to bring him in from the cold, but this doesn't seem like a regime willing to admit mistakes and take backward steps.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm surprised, James is usually SO robust. 

Sell him. 

Who’d buy him? Seriously. He’s my favourite but even I’m running out of patience tbh. I think he’ll be done by 26, which is a shame given how talented he is.

Edited by Michael Tucker
Silly emojis removed

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Who’d buy him? Seriously. He’s my favourite but even I’m running out of patience tbh. I think he’ll be done by 26, which is a shame given how talented he is. 💯🧨😓

They’ll definitely be takers, he’s a good enough player to take a punt on, with the hopes that his injuries go away. These owners have zero sentimentality & it won’t take them long to start listening to offers for him, can see him going to Milan. 

Edited by Floyd25

6 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

They’ll definitely be takers, he’s a good enough player to take a punt on, with the hopes that his injuries go away. These owners have zero sentimentality & it won’t take them long to start listening to offers for him, can see him going to Milan. 

For £250,000 a week I’m not so sure but in the insane world of football you’re probably right. 

On planet Earth if someone offered me an Aston Martin  for free but that broke down every day I would rather walk. 

But there we are.

12 hours ago, Ham said:

Here we go again. 

Gusto and James unlikely for Bournemouth. 

Cole back from England camp for rehabilitation. 

Where is the Gusto and James latest? Can’t see much more than what we already knew.

If James ends up being out for an extended period again, then we have to move him on and I’d actually strongly consider signing a new right back in January as we can’t be relying on Disasi as back up whenever we need to give Gusto a rest.

It would be a massive shame, because when he is fit and firing he’s the best in his position, but I honestly can’t remember the last time that was.

I’m hoping the Palmer one is just precaution. 

• Like 1

The squad looks really deep in all positions, until you consider one right back is always injured, and your DM has been injured on and off for a year.

The one area where we can afford a couple of injuries (wingers/10s) and we have none! 

I really hope he doesn't start with Caicedo at RB at Bournemouth 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Here we go again. 

Gusto and James unlikely for Bournemouth. 

Cole back from England camp for rehabilitation. 

I thought you said injuries would not be used as an excuse this season, especially with all the game changers back?

39 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I thought you said injuries would not be used as an excuse this season, especially with all the game changers back?

Who’s used them as an excuse? Just asking … 

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

If we have the same injury situation as last season, I will most certainly use it as an excuse this season, of course!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

If we have the same injury situation as last season, I will most certainly use it as an excuse this season, of course!

Except,of course, it's not an excuse but an important factor in the season long performance of Chelsea,or any Club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Let’s see if he can manage more than one game per month. We sure need him fit for a large portion of the season - he seems like a quality player imo. 

Of all the midfield options we have brought in, he's the one 😍

His single season stats at Southampton (albeit just the one season) are truly remarkable and a reliably fit Lavia gives me Kante-vibes - he's got that ceiling.

• Like 2