Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

Posted in the transfer thread, but to repeat in the more appropriate place ... I think that has to be Fofana completely out of any medium or long term planning. Very difficult when you've spent £70m on him, but it really is now a nice-to-have, pleasant surprise if he's ever consistently fit enough to make a difference. It cannot be something we ever bank on, expect to happen.

Very sad as I think he had everything you need to be class and injury has robbed him.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Posted in the transfer thread, but to repeat in the more appropriate place ... I think that has to be Fofana completely out of any medium or long term planning. Very difficult when you've spent £70m on him, but it really is now a nice-to-have, pleasant surprise if he's ever consistently fit enough to make a difference. It cannot be something we ever bank on, expect to happen.

Very sad as I think he had everything you need to be class and injury has robbed him.

I think a lot of people are rushing to make judgements based on not a lot.

Until someone with a medical background wants to explain Fofana's injury and the likely consequences to us all, I will choose to be more optimistic and remind everyone about Robben never being fit for a sustained period for Chelsea. Then he went away  and didn't seem to have injury issues anymore. Or perhaps he did and I never noticed because I don't watch Real Madrid or Bayern games very often.

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think a lot of people are rushing to make judgements based on not a lot.

Until someone with a medical background wants to explain Fofana's injury and the likely consequences to us all, I will choose to be more optimistic and remind everyone about Robben never being fit for a sustained period for Chelsea. Then he went away  and didn't seem to have injury issues anymore. Or perhaps he did and I never noticed because I don't watch Real Madrid or Bayern games very often.

You say a lot of people, but I take it you mean me.

I have some sympathy with what you're saying. At the same time, though, you do not need to be a medical professional to know that the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery is long. Nor do you need to be an expert to know that many players have not recovered to their previous abilities following it. You just need to have followed football for a while and have noticed the countless sad examples.

My position is that we cannot be planning based on the availability of a player who has rarely been available to us to date, and whose availability looks very likely to be limited for some time. You are welcome to disagree with that point.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

You say a lot of people, but I take it you mean me.

I have some sympathy with what you're saying. At the same time, though, you do not need to be a medical professional to know that the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery is long. Nor do you need to be an expert to know that many players have not recovered to their previous abilities following it. You just need to have followed football for a while and have noticed the countless sad examples.

My position is that we cannot be planning based on the availability of a player who has rarely been available to us to date, and whose availability looks very likely to be limited for some time. You are welcome to disagree with that point.

No I mean everyone that's writing him off already, but you went furthest.

It's an injury with a long recovery time sure and while I'm no doctor, it seems players largely recover and go back to playing at the top of their game: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54625081

This is not good news for us, but Fofana's very young and I'm sure he'll get over this fine and make a big contribution to the team in the future.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

No I mean everyone that's writing him off already, but you went furthest.

It's an injury with a long recovery time sure and while I'm no doctor, it seems players largely recover and go back to playing at the top of their game: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54625081

This is not good news for us, but Fofana's very young and I'm sure he'll get over this fine and make a big contribution to the team in the future.

Hmm. Haven't written him off, at all. He may well come back quickly, or at the top of his game, or both. What I've said, and a second time so it shouldn't really be a point of confusion, is that the club shouldn't be making plans based on him coming back quickly or at the top of his game. 

Looked at the BBC list. Wouldn't personally say all of those players did come back as good as they had been before. I Google-searched ACL injuries and found plenty of articles about players who recovered, as well as plenty who didn't and about the impact on future performance (one such example, https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers). It is a very mixed picture.

I'd share your optimism if this wasn't a third significant injury (albeit all different causes) in such a short career. As it is, get him the best rehab you can while planning for life without him (or the best version of him) imo. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Holymoly said:

That's him. The player that was the best defender at the club last season.

He was the tallest dwarf last season. Congrats to him.

Hopefully we can play a higher line, be more compact and press opponents better than we did last season. I am not sure having somebody who can't run and who wants to be as close to his box as possible is going to help in that regard but what do I know.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

He was the tallest dwarf last season. Congrats to him.

Hopefully we can play a higher line, be more compact and press opponents better than we did last season. I am not sure having somebody who can't run and who wants to be as close to his box as possible is going to help in that regard but what do I know.

I agree on this. As good as he has been, he needs protecting in the way that we play

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Didn't see the match but am reading that Chalobah was taken off after feeling is achilles, although said to have been precautionary as of right now. 

Depending how that unfolds we could be in strife. 

The football gods are not being kind to us. 

18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I agree on this. As good as he has been, he needs protecting in the way that we play

I like Thiago and it's a shame we didn't have him for his prime years. But the way people talk about him now is as if he doesn't make any mistakes and doesn't have any flaws. I have seen him struggle in the air, get picked on by bigger players and his natural tenancy to drop back is understandable due to his lack of legs at this age. 

I was secretly hoping he didn't agree a new deal and moved on and if he did stay it would be almost a player/coach role to help bring along the younger guys and play sparingly. But injuries to Badiashile and Fofana have of course now made that impossible.

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Against Liverpool  I said he looked subdued , looks like he was carrying a continued injury 

He looked okay early, I think he picked it up during the match but came off before it was really tested or pushed further. 

But agree, he looked subdued at the time.

From We Ain't Got No History:

Some bad news coming out of Cobham today, with Reece James and Trevoh Chalobah reportedly both sustaining hamstring injuries in training.

Chalobah was already dealing with one but apparently has re-aggravated it and will now miss another month.  And the situation could be even worse for James, who is “not expected to make a swift return”.  James had just returned from a hamstring injury sustained at the end of last season, to start our first game over the weekend, where he was able to complete 70 excellent minutes before being substituted off due to “fatigue”.

Our new club captain has of course had more than his fair share of injury issues over the past couple seasons, and this latest development certainly won’t attenuate the growing fears that these will be a constant concern with him.  Thankfully, we did sign Malo Gusto to cover the position, and he’s looked excellent in preseason as well.

Chalobah was not slated to be a starter, but the injury will affect his future planning as well, especially if he (or we?) had any designs on him moving teams before the end of the transfer window.

I understand that we'd offered Chalobah to Forest in part exchange for Johnson and Chalobah said no and suddenly developed another hamstring injury. 

Are we now in our Indecent haste to rip things up and start again consequently aggravating our remaining "prospects" and our Captains mates? 

Wouldn't surprise me. 

Just read that in the last four seasons , we have lost Reece James to injury 80 times , 20 games per season and that's without what we are likely to endure this season. 

We really need to get our preventative medicine department functioning and look into why hamstring injuries are blighting this squad , is it the surface , the boots , the training , the massage therapy , wtf is it?

• Like 1

Back in the mists of time (and on the old forum), I opined that we never had hamstring or ACL injuries when the wonderful Eva was in the staff, and was roundly put in my place on the basis that “it was a different game now, lots of high press, blah blah blah”.

Maybe so. Maybe not. However, might I suggest that either way, we either need to consider changing our precautions against such overwhelming damage to highly expensive and vital assets - vis our players - or change our game …

• Like 1
  • Agree 1