Injury News

My Blood Is Blue

From today's press conference ahead of West Ham:

Reece James is injured, how long could he be out for?

"I think it's a sad moment because he's our captain. He was so excited to be a captain, full of energy. I think we are going to assess him day-by-day as well as possible. For sure, he is going to become stronger than he was, we are going to help him to become stronger than before."

On Reece James, is it a hamstring injury? So is it not that serious if it's a 'day-by-day' situation?

"Yes, it's a hamstring. It's not a few days, it's maybe a few weeks. The good thing is that it's not a good issue. The most important thing now is to worry about anticipating problems. When he plays again, we hope he's stronger than he was before. We will assess him day-by-day and make a plan every day."

At least it's weeks not months... But the question now is how long until the next one? Really sad...

• Agree 1

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/carney-chukwuemeka-injury-update?fbclid=IwAR0vwyUJxKTAmYTnuyH1fmiKNkxnODRUPQ9faHDM_JVbPl5aLIphAJJfx0k

Chukwuemeka has had surgery, the club haven’t given an indication on exactly what the injury is or how long he’ll be out for, but I’d guess it’s going to be quite a while. Gutted for him.

When Eva was at the club we had one of the most physically robust squads of players . This lot seem get injured by strong gusts of wind or putting their socks on. The injuries have been happening for too long to too many players for it to be down to just bad luck.  Got to be something wrong with the training or treatment of the players. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

When Eva was at the club we had one of the most physically robust squads of players . This lot seem get injured by strong gusts of wind or putting their socks on. The injuries have been happening for too long to too many players for it to be down to just bad luck.  Got to be something wrong with the training or treatment of the players. 

Football in the Premier League has changed in that span of time to be fair. We've seen the tempo and intensity of games increase, high pressing football is greatly favoured which increases the workload on players, and off-season breaks certainly haven't been extended to compensate for the amount of football played - quite the opposite. 

We're seeing more players getting extended breaks and therefore delaying their pre-season returns, that cuts into their fitness work, which means having to use the early weeks of the season to make it up.

Not hard to see why more players are breaking down, particularly those who've had a few years in the league. It eventually catches up and you get left with what we're seeing now.

Granted, you're still going to see players pick up those unfortunate injuries that just happen, but a lot of the above certainly has a contributing factor.

On 22/08/2023 at 17:41, Mark Kelly said:

I'm beginning to understand why we bought so many now.

We're going to be down to the bare bones by Christmas

I cant help but think of Harry when i see or hear that lol. don't get me wrong Mark I've used it myself .

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Football in the Premier League has changed in that span of time to be fair. We've seen the tempo and intensity of games increase, high pressing football is greatly favoured which increases the workload on players, and off-season breaks certainly haven't been extended to compensate for the amount of football played - quite the opposite. 

We're seeing more players getting extended breaks and therefore delaying their pre-season returns, that cuts into their fitness work, which means having to use the early weeks of the season to make it up.

Not hard to see why more players are breaking down, particularly those who've had a few years in the league. It eventually catches up and you get left with what we're seeing now.

Granted, you're still going to see players pick up those unfortunate injuries that just happen, but a lot of the above certainly has a contributing factor.

While it's true the game has changed in the years since Eva was here, the important point is that it's changed for all the teams and we are picking up far more injuries than the other teams. Thats  got to be down to something more than just bad luck!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I have just the bloke.

He's currently plying his trade as a totally ineffective winger though ...

Crisis averted 

Thankfully Badiashile is back after the international break so should provide cover at LB. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Crisis averted 

Thankfully Badiashile is back after the international break so should provide cover at LB. 

Why would he have a scan? He must have felt something, in which case, why is he with the England squad? 

I swear if they nobble him 🤬

Surely the top man in the medical field could be hired for circa £1m or even if we doubled their wages to £2m. Would be peanuts compared to money lost on injuries. Do we even have a medical dept anymore? Not that it was great in v recent history anyway

I remember the days of Azpi and Frank playing every minute of the season. Weird that the player I think would most likely be available in this squad is Thiago Silva, despite his age. Don't make em like they used to, I'm sure @chara agrees 😉

Edited by Lump Of Celery
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Don't make em like they used to, I'm sure @chara agrees 😉

Hmm.....got me thinking..I may be OG but I don't think the "Old Days" were better as such,,,just different and maybe that has a bearing on the injuries..

Take a look, if possible, at some of the old games...semi against Watford at WHL is as good an example...no manicured pitches throughout the season and a need for different almost natural muscle developed strengths..not an informed opinion just seems probable... and players were not as tall more stocky generally  and 6' was tall....just thoughts and impressions..the speed of the game now increases I'm sure the chances of a too quick turn pulling something or at full speed taking a bad tackle,,,slower speed I think probably meant a more level coming together if you see what I mean.

My impression is that all modern players cover far more ground than in the past..an "old" FB waiting for his winger is not a feasible position now..over simplyfied but so much more expected physically from players and such high standards of fitness required.

Colwill at LB would never have happened way back..too tall and ill equipped for the position as was...now every defender is expected to be able to fit in anywhere across the back and in a hybrid winghalf type setup...far more complicated and demanding which I can only think leads to far more aggressive training pitch work leading to more chances of injury...just thoughts...not completely thought through but get my drift?

War stories'ish..(with apology)I had four bad injuries whilst playing..bad knee high tackle on pitch bad ankle injury coming down badly in a challenge..same injury other ankle training and a bad hammy pregame warm up (or not !)..even spaced..game/ non game. Overall thoughts anyone?

• Agree 1