Conor Gallagher signs for Atletico Madrid

JaneB

7 hours ago, JaneB said:

@Chelsea_Matt Why are you calling everyone 'brotato chip'? 🙄

Just a friendly expression 🤣🤣🤣👀 You won’t have seen the brilliant YouTube gym life satire channel “broscience life”, it’s an expression he uses 🤣. You and Mr Tucker should check it out.

Actually, maybe not. I don’t think you (and esepsh Mr T) would enjoy such lines as “Abs are like women. Who cares if they’re unstable as long as they look good?” 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• My Blood Is Blue changed the title to Conor Gallagher signs for Atletico Madrid
1 minute ago, blueboy1905 said:

. You know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

For what it's worth I said exactly the same a few times with the previous regime , it's the nature of the beast as opposed to the nature of Clearlake 

41 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

On one hand it's a shame but on another it's a boy from our academy who is now playing in Europe's top competition , earning more money and getting another slice of football education for his CV , I'm pleased for him , he deserves it. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

On one hand it's a shame but on another it's a boy from our academy who is now playing in Europe's top competition , earning more money and getting another slice of football education for his CV , I'm pleased for him , he deserves it. 

Yeah, in that sense it’s great and I am delighted for him. I don’t think he wanted to leave, but I imagine he’s very excited and pleased with where he’s going to be playing his football. I look forward to seeing how he gets on and I hope we don’t see him back in the PL in the future, unless it’s back with us.

What I think of this, the current owners and their “strategy” is well documented. 

I will never forget how this ownership has treated players like Connor, Trev and a few others who are Chelsea through and through. Neither will I ever forgive. 

Good luck Connor. Fuck off Clearlake. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Disgrace the way he left.

Again, if he wanted to leave like Palmer at City this would be totally understandable, but no amount of PSR excuses will make up for the fact that he was one of our best players last season, we will sorely miss his attributes, we've used the money badly to replace him, and we've treated him like shit along the way. PR and footballing disaster for the club.

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Agree 1

Don't let anyone tell you that he wanted to leave and refused to sign a contract. The owners have been trying to sell him for 2 years and finally got to a situation where with one year to go on his contract and after a great season, the price could be low enough for a top team to come in for him.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Disgrace the way he left.

Again, if he wanted to leave like Palmer at City this would be totally understandable, but no amount of PSR excuses will make up for the fact that he was one of our best players last season, we will sorely miss his attributes, we've used the money badly to replace him, and we've treated him like shit along the way. PR and footballing disaster for the club.

We don't have the first idea how we've treated him.

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What I think of this, the current owners and their “strategy” is well documented. 

I will never forget how this ownership has treated players like Connor, Trev and a few others who are Chelsea through and through. Neither will I ever forgive. 

Good luck Connor. Fuck off Clearlake. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

For what it's worth I said exactly the same a few times with the previous regime , it's the nature of the beast as opposed to the nature of Clearlake 

I agree. If Roman was still the owner I think it would still be the same situation.  I don't think these sales of academy lads are particular to Clearlake.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer that we kept them both.

We are gonna miss him for sure. It might not be apparent in the first few weeks of this season, but it will become apparent soon after. We will regret this sale, and it's not a case of judging that by what Gallagher achieves at Madrid, the measuring stick is going to be he won't be here to used when it becomes clear we are missing his influence on the pitch.

Bad, bad decision for so many different reasons.

26 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

If Roman was still the owner I think it would still be the same situation.  I don't think these sales of academy lads are particular to Clearlake.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer that we kept them both.

Absolutely non-comparable in every way. Under Roman we would have bought the likes of Ballack and Ashley Cole and we'd all agree that there was unfortunately no place in the side for our academy players.

Last season Gallagher was literally one of our best two players in the entire squad and he is being forced out.

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

So we weren't threatening to stick him in PL2 all season if he refused to leave or sign a phoney contract?!

We don't know we were , that's the point, some pointy headed berk on Twitter isn't getting his info from the club 

Phoney contract? WTAF are you on about? 

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We don't know we were , that's the point, some pointy headed berk on Twitter isn't getting his info from the club 

Phoney contract? WTAF are you on about? 

So do you think a 2 year deal when everyone else is getting 6-9 years was a sign of real commitment from the club to keep him? Or was it just a way to protect the asset and force him out again next season?

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

So do you think a 2 year deal when everyone else is getting 6-9 years was a sign of real commitment from the club to keep him? Or was it just a way to protect the asset and force him out again next season?

So you don't mean a phoney contract then , you mean a real contract . 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

So you don't mean a phoney contract then , you mean a real contract . 

You know what I mean Mark - it was a phoney contract because the club pumped out PR suggesting insincerely that they were giving Gallagher a real opportunity to stay and be part of the team, when really they had no intention of keeping him at all.

Phoney - adjective: 1. not sincere 
  • Like 1

Really sad this has happened. . I think we're really going to miss his athleticism in midfield, and when it's a Cobham graduate going it always feels worse.

I just wish him all the best at Atletico. In fact, I'm pretty certain he'll thrive there. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We will definitely miss him. After a pretty average first season, he was consistently good last year, and after Palmer he was easily our second best player. He deserved better than a 2+ 1-year contract offer which is probably the main reason he wouldn't extend, when he saw inferior players being signed on ridiculously long deals purely for accounting reasons. It's obvious he was effectively driven out for financial not football reasons.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Absolutely gutted about Conor, made worse by his goodbye message 😪

However, there is so much conflict and bad feeling on the forum at the moment that I don't want to add to it.  It is what it is, there's nothing we can do except watch with sorrow from the sidelines. 

I'm going to try very hard to wait and be patient and see how things pan out for, say, our first 10 matches.  I've no idea how much influence Maresca is having on anything but he deserves a chance and I'm trying to be excited about what he has in mind, hard as it is.

On the other hand.........having read about Sterling and Chilwell, it's just so classless and nasty. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JaneB said:

On the other hand.........having read about Sterling and Chilwell, it's just so classless and nasty. 

I suppose it's how you view these things?

He sat down with them and was honest , the truth may be harsh but it was the truth 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I suppose it's how you view these things?

He sat down with them and was honest , the truth may be harsh but it was the truth 

Yes he has been honest with them, but I'm not sure the reasoning is for genuine sporting reasons. I can't imagine many managers would think that Veiga is currently a better option than Chilwell for footballing reasons. Anyone on high wages has a target on their back.

I think Reese is now the only surviving first squad member that played during the Roman era