Conor Gallagher signs for Atletico Madrid

JaneB

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I suppose it's how you view these things?

He sat down with them and was honest , the truth may be harsh but it was the truth 

I LOVE Chilly B but his injury record is terrible. I’ve always liked Raheem too but he’s a “moments” player imo. Saying that I’ll be sorry they’re leaving.  To your point, Mr K, while I totally see @JaneB’s view and agree with it, yes, honesty is always the best policy.

As they say - I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not. 

If it goes wrong for Maresca, I really don’t know where we would go from there. These are dangerous times for Chelsea imo both on and off the pitch. We can’t even get a sponsor! 💀🫠👀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He sat down with them and was honest , the truth may be harsh but it was the truth 

I always respect what you say Mark so I guess that’s just how it is. I presume he said all that in his press conference which I haven’t seen yet.

I’ll try not to be negative from now on 🙏🏻

(Pity he didn’t do it with Mudryk and Enzo though 🤔)

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I always respect what you say Mark so I guess that’s just how it is. I presume he said all that in his press conference which I haven’t seen yet.

I’ll try not to be negative from now on 🙏🏻

(Pity he didn’t do it with Mudryk and Enzo though 🤔)

I think the best thing is he didn't lead them on with false promises of maybe this and you never know that , I suppose we could have done it earlier but maybe he wanted to see them on tour first , I would imagine the owners may have leant on him a bit with regards to Chilly's injury prone time here and Sterlings wages but I'm sure if Maresca really wanted them they'd still be here .

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We don’t actually know he has been honest with them. We know he has sat down and told them he has no future, but is that purely his decision ? Chilwell I could maybe get, but he would have a tough job convincing anyone he thinks Veiga is a better player.

As for Sterling , I don’t buy for one second that Maresca thinks he doesn’t fit in his squad, or that he prefers different type of player etc.

The pattern is there for all to see. The last manager continued to play Gallagher, introduced Chalobah into his team when fit. He then leaves by mutual consent , those players are treated with disrespect before leaving. The new manager has no interest in them, nor does he have any interest in another two high earners ……..so is he being honest ? Or is he doing as he is told ? Cos when you follow that pattern of events , Maresca seemingly has a very similar thought process and makes very similar decisions to his leaders and managers! 

53 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We don’t actually know he has been honest with them. We know he has sat down and told them he has no future, but is that purely his decision ? Chilwell I could maybe get, but he would have a tough job convincing anyone he thinks Veiga is a better player.

As for Sterling , I don’t buy for one second that Maresca thinks he doesn’t fit in his squad, or that he prefers different type of player etc.

The pattern is there for all to see. The last manager continued to play Gallagher, introduced Chalobah into his team when fit. He then leaves by mutual consent , those players are treated with disrespect before leaving. The new manager has no interest in them, nor does he have any interest in another two high earners ……..so is he being honest ? Or is he doing as he is told ? Cos when you follow that pattern of events , Maresca seemingly has a very similar thought process and makes very similar decisions to his leaders and managers! 

Maybe that was all part of the discussions when he took the job and he joined knowing that the club had already deemed certain players surplus to requirements. It’s possible he pushed back a bit on Chilwell and requested a closer look during pre-season and came the conclusion that with his injury record and the fact he isn’t the perfect fit for the role he wants his full backs to play, he agreed he could go.

Ultimately, we’ve no idea what’s going on behind closed doors, so I’m personally trying not to get too upset over some of the player situations at the moment (apart from Gallagher, that one hurts).

The flip side of it, is that if one of the big European clubs came in for Chilwell or Sterling, would they not jump at the chance to go and thus turn their back on our club and its fans instantly?

Football, is a fickle beast. We’ll all be wearing Veiga shirts next season if he turns out to be as good as Gusto and asking “Chilly who?”.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Maybe that was all part of the discussions when he took the job and he joined knowing that the club had already deemed certain players surplus to requirements. It’s possible he pushed back a bit on Chilwell and requested a closer look during pre-season and came the conclusion that with his injury record and the fact he isn’t the perfect fit for the role he wants his full backs to play, he agreed he could go.

Ultimately, we’ve no idea what’s going on behind closed doors, so I’m personally trying not to get too upset over some of the player situations at the moment (apart from Gallagher, that one hurts).

The flip side of it, is that if one of the big European clubs came in for Chilwell or Sterling, would they not jump at the chance to go and thus turn their back on our club and its fans instantly?

Football, is a fickle beast. We’ll all be wearing Veiga shirts next season if he turns out to be as good as Gusto and asking “Chilly who?”.

To much of a linear pattern in what has happened over the last few months. Are we really believing that Maresca ultimately has the same opinion as the owners on everything that has happened so far ? We really think think that he didn't want Chalobah and Gallagher, then he also didn't want Sterling and Chilwell , yet the last manager did want them , he did play them and did see some of them as key to his squad.

Let's be really honest here. Maresca does not have the CV to get this job, that don't mean he cannot do well and is not a good coach. It's a great opportunity for him, but right now he is simply following orders. It don't mean it will always be that way, there has been little to no pressure yet, relationships become strained under pressure. We may see Maresca push back once that pressure starts to tell and the focus turns in his direction.

As things stand now, he is most definitely a yes man who is following orders. It's probably what helped him secure the job in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

To much of a linear pattern in what has happened over the last few months. Are we really believing that Maresca ultimately has the same opinion as the owners on everything that has happened so far ? We really think think that he didn't want Chalobah and Gallagher, then he also didn't want Sterling and Chilwell , yet the last manager did want them , he did play them and did see some of them as key to his squad.

Let's be really honest here. Maresca does not have the CV to get this job, that don't mean he cannot do well and is not a good coach. It's a great opportunity for him, but right now he is simply following orders. It don't mean it will always be that way, there has been little to no pressure yet, relationships become strained under pressure. We may see Maresca push back once that pressure starts to tell and the focus turns in his direction.

As things stand now, he is most definitely a yes man who is following orders. It's probably what helped him secure the job in the first place.

I’m not saying I believe he agrees with or has the same opinion on everything the owners are doing, but I’m suggesting that I would imagine this was part of the interview process and he was well aware before he joined that the club (for whatever reasons) wanted to move some players on, and he signed up knowing that, so isn’t going to suddenly start pushing back. I’ve had conversations with people  I’ve worked for where I have suggested what they want me to do is wrong and should be done in a better way, sometimes they end up agreeing with my way of thinking and sometimes they don’t and I need to go along with the way I’ve been instructed… doesn’t make me a yes man, just means I know how far to push things and what battles are worth fighting.

He may be a yes man and I get your point about his lack of experience meaning he doesn’t have as much weight behind him to help push back on things, but that doesn’t mean he won’t. We’ve no idea what his personality is, he could be in there kicking up a fuss and demanding the club move these players on… he probably isn’t, but it’s possible as we simply don’t know.

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Dead happy for him to be somewhere he is so wanted. Now to get a cheap Chinese knock off Atletico shirt ...

I was coming here to post exactly this.

Gutted he’s gone, but pleased for him that he’s ended up here. They’re going to love him, in fact it looks like they already do.

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I was coming here to post exactly this.

Gutted he’s gone, but pleased for him that he’s ended up here. They’re going to love him, in fact it looks like they already do.

They're calling him "The Pitbull" , I think they get him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sorry Sam that doesn't cut it on here anymore. 

You ‘didn’t know’ that Poch shit the bed at Chelsea when Nkunku got injured pre season. It didn’t stop you posting it numerous times last season.

This whole argument of we simply don’t know is factually correct. However, we express opinions on our reading and our knowledge of situations.

If we are only expressing a strong opinion based on facts, then this place may as well wither and die. 
So in reality, it’s never cut it here and nor does it cut it for about 95% of football discussion in general.

When people post this kinda stuff, it’s often cos it’s masking some doubt in their position in the debate……..crucially IMO…..we must remember to add this caveat into every post from now on, just so it’s clear for all !

21 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

You ‘didn’t know’ that Poch shit the bed at Chelsea when Nkunku got injured pre season. It didn’t stop you posting it numerous times last season.

This whole argument of we simply don’t know is factually correct. However, we express opinions on our reading and our knowledge of situations.

If we are only expressing a strong opinion based on facts, then this place may as well wither and die. 
So in reality, it’s never cut it here and nor does it cut it for about 95% of football discussion in general.

When people post this kinda stuff, it’s often cos it’s masking some doubt in their position in the debate……..crucially IMO…..we must remember to add this caveat into every post from now on, just so it’s clear for all !

The World knew Poch shit the bed , lost one player and completely changed the formation and the way we played overnight through fear.  

The rest I agree with of course . 

Poch shitting the bed is a hill I am prepared to die on . 

19 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

What we do know is that he SAID he sat down with them and told them they would not be playing much for us. He was unequivocal about that. It is extremely unlikely that he was lying about that, simply because the truth would out if that were the case.

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Sure, but there is a sliding scale of validity of interpretation based on how much we don't know. There is also a continuum of possible reactions, from hysteria to circumspection. The fact is that anyone counselling a moderate response to current events at the club is being attacked for it.

Edited by RDCW
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Sure, but there is a sliding scale of validity of interpretation based on how much we don't know. There is also a continuum of possible reactions, from hysteria to circumspection. The fact is that anyone counselling a moderate response to current events at the club is being attacked for it.

Somewhat ironic. I don't see anyone being attacked, just different views exchanged.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Argh, my knock off Chinese Atletico kit with Gallagher turned up and is absolutely not a medium ... Dare I try ordering another a size up?

There goes my petty rebellion at home games this season.

Gift it to Mr Fernandez - It could be a dress rehearsal for him 🤞

• Agree 1