Kai Havertz

JaneB

10 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Quite. The patterns of play seemed to be Sterling playing on the shoulder of the last man with Havertz and Felix given licence to drop off and create. 

The more time passes, the more I can't fathom why we would extend Felix's stay. If Nkunku is coming (a deal i'm increasingly less keen on), Havertz, hopefully Mount flanked by Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke and almost certainly a new striker - where do they all fit in?

They don't and that's sort of the problem we're going to face depending on our choice of system.

433 gives us the extra CM spot but leaves no place for a Joao Felix, Nkunku or even Havertz unless they're all played either upfront or on the wing. It would however allow Mount to play CM, makes Kante more visible should he remain, and lets us maximise Enzo more should we get a holding player in to sit.

Any other back four system that involves a double pivot would mean a place for Joao Felix, Nkunku, and to a lesser degree Havertz or Mount to play in behind a CF at the cost of a CM place. If we sign a holding midfielder you'd have to think the pairing would be them and Enzo - this squeezes Kante out of the side and prevents Mount from playing a more preferred CM position. 

If we retain a back three then it makes the purchases of Mudryk and Madueke somewhat of an issue as there's no place for out and out wingers, and also means Sterling would have to play more centrally or as a faux forward like he kinda did vs Dortmund. It would also retain the CM issues of the double pivot unless going to a midfield three, while further reducing an attacking position. 

We've gotta be careful not to fall into the trap we found ourselves in under RA where we purchased with no clear tactical plan in place. Otherwise we'll be right back to having a group where half suit one approach, and the other another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xceleryx said:

They don't and that's sort of the problem we're going to face depending on our choice of system.

433 gives us the extra CM spot but leaves no place for a Joao Felix, Nkunku or even Havertz unless they're all played either upfront or on the wing. It would however allow Mount to play CM, makes Kante more visible should he remain, and lets us maximise Enzo more should we get a holding player in to sit.

Any other back four system that involves a double pivot would mean a place for Joao Felix, Nkunku, and to a lesser degree Havertz or Mount to play in behind a CF at the cost of a CM place. If we sign a holding midfielder you'd have to think the pairing would be them and Enzo - this squeezes Kante out of the side and prevents Mount from playing a more preferred CM position. 

If we retain a back three then it makes the purchases of Mudryk and Madueke somewhat of an issue as there's no place for out and out wingers, and also means Sterling would have to play more centrally or as a faux forward like he kinda did vs Dortmund. It would also retain the CM issues of the double pivot unless going to a midfield three, while further reducing an attacking position. 

We've gotta be careful not to fall into the trap we found ourselves in under RA where we purchased with no clear tactical plan in place. Otherwise we'll be right back to having a group where half suit one approach, and the other another.

Clearly the plan was to go to 4 at the back after the last two windows but panic set in and we went to a 3.  

Leaves us in somewhat of a quandary until the summer clear out. 

Next season will make more sense. 

Just now, Ham said:

Clearly the plan was to go to 4 at the back after the last two windows but panic set in and we went to a 3.  

Leaves us in somewhat of a quandary until the summer clear out. 

Next season will make more sense. 

Indeed. I think the back four is the intention moving forward but It's quite clear it's not functional without a proper holding player in place. Should we address that in the summer we'll see it return, but then it does create a handful of issues in other areas that'll need resolving.

Hopefully we can shift those that need to be moved, bring in the couple of pieces needed and can move forward in a more cohesive and balanced direction. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We've gotta be careful not to fall into the trap we found ourselves in under RA where we purchased with no clear tactical plan in place. 

Every Coach/Manager the club employed in the summer under the RA era, were supported by the club in bring one or two players of their choice to support their formations and tactics. Hence, the success of the past twenty years

I would suggest the no tactical plan in place should be aimed at TB and his recruitment team.

Under RA the no tactical plan in place  delivered a trophy every two years maximum, how long do you think it will take for TB to see the club win silverware?

Edited by ROTG

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Every Coach/Manager the club employed in the summer under the RA era, were supported by the club in bring one or two players of their choice to support their formations and tactics. Hence, the success of the past twenty years

I would suggest the no tactical plan in place should be aimed at TB and his recruitment team.

Under RA the no tactical plan in place  delivered a trophy every two years maximum, how long do you think it will take for TB to see the club win silverware?

Next season I reckon.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Those 20 years were amazing and at my age to see us win everything was something I can't describe.

However we haven't looked like winning the PL since 2017 which in my eyes is the top of the mountain. We are an amazing cup side who thrives on the one off knockout matches thus resulting in our CL win in 2021. I have said this before on other posts that this system under Roman became unsustainable because as we can see now this club ended up with players purchased  under other managers that became square pegs in round holes.

Once Roman was sanctioned and decided to sell the club, this hire and fire policy, no matter how successful we can claim that it was, would change. During this reign of success we inherited a ton of players that we overpaid for, they were on very high salaries and more importantly not good enough for whatever manager we had at that time,  again unsustainable long term.

After Boehly and Clearlake purchased the club there was going to be a new plan that would see this change, a new project and stadium rebuild in some form. This new direction is going to take time, whether GP is the right man to do this as our manager, I don't know yet. What I do know is implementing a new wage structure and making sure these salaries are incentive based to then achieve  longer sustainable success, then maybe we can start looking like a side that can win the PL again.

Whether our fans are patient enough to go through this, I again don't know.

What I do know is, I am!

• Like 1

Another good showing by Havertz vs Leicester. This altered role Potter has slotted him into the last couple of games has certainly helped, he's allowed to drop deeper and sort of get on the ball more often and face up, while we've see Sterling and now Mudryk play higher up on the shoulder and take some of that forward responsibility away. 

While not the ideal solution long term it does show that he can be a contributing player for us. The issue has, and really likely always will be with Havertz, is creating a space for him to operate in. He's not a natural forward nor is he your traditional #10 type either. Makes it tough but hopefully we're starting to find a bit of a happier medium. 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Yeah. Proper animal lover. Good to see in a young man.  

If he ever threatens to leave Arsenal, I foresee another cringeworthy Labrador banner 🙈

Saw the confused emoji.....

They unfurled this monstrosity in an attempt at emotional blackmail when Sanchez was thinking of leaving. 

Screenshot_20230628_224549_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae57d358cfb03f58dd8c7e9574998fc7.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Saw the confused emoji.....

They unfurled this monstrosity in an attempt at emotional blackmail when Sanchez was thinking of leaving. 

Screenshot_20230628_224549_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae57d358cfb03f58dd8c7e9574998fc7.jpg

Thanks Ham.

But it's not a monstrosity!!!  I love Atom and Humber, I follow them on IG.  And to be really annoying, they are Golden Retrievers NOT Labradors.  

35 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Thanks Ham.

But it's not a monstrosity!!!  I love Atom and Humber, I follow them on IG.  And to be really annoying, they are Golden Retrievers NOT Labradors.  

My speciality/obsession is with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. 

Never been any good with recognising other breeds. 

Noted 🤐