Kai Havertz

JaneB

The sort of performance we've been waiting months for last night.  He really showed up when it mattered and had a terrific game I thought.  He's got to improve his finishing and his consistency though - one good game every 6-7 weeks can't be accepted at Chelsea. 

The talent is there, he just needs to impose it upon games week after week.  

• Like 1

All been said before...but rightly so for this game...had the sort of game we expected when he first arrived....can't praise him enough for his game and he did beat the keeper completely twice.

Hate to sound a doom/gloom because I am not but this was a ko competition and Euro...the EPL is different and whilst it suited the Chelsea skill set the more smothering tactics of "lesser" sides in the EPL is a problem.

Aside..anyone else notice the affinity Chelsea seem to have developed with the "woodwork"?

• Like 1

Re the woodwork, yes.

Both Felix and Havertz seems artists trying to score the eye-catching goals rather than the bread and butter ones. 

Both were identified in their teens as generational talents yet have not quite delivered. 

Does seem odd.

Sterling with his tricky movement and feet may yet be our top scorer this season.

22 hours ago, chara said:

Aside..anyone else notice the affinity Chelsea seem to have developed with the "woodwork"?

I was beginning to think it was some kind of charity challenge to hit the posts or bar as many times as possible in a game. Like the Cup Final against Pompey when Didier hit it five times in the first half. 

Edited by Sciatika

On 08/03/2023 at 11:53, jasonb said:

I think Mount can see the writing on the wall.

Havertz's skill set may overlap with Mount's yet Havertz's skill set with heading ability means he is more likely to play.

Felix is also very technical and dynamic and capable of scoring or providing assists.  

Sterling is our front player most likely to score with his clever footwork.

Neither is Mount a clear midfielder and with Enzo, Kovacic and Zakaria he may be in fourth place.

I haven't mentioned Mudryk or Gallagher yet they also compete with Mount for places.

I think if Mount can get a decent move then kudos to him. 

I refuse to believe we would be better off without Mount.  

I always bow to everyone's superior knowledge on here but for so many reasons Mason shouldn't be looked upon as 'disposable' or surplus to requirements.

Yes I know this is the Havertz thread and he was great the other night, but we've waited long enough!!

I guess I'm peeved because several of my favourites get off-loaded before their time (IMO) i.e. Mata, Luiz, Cesc and Giroud.

I hope the club don't make the same mistake with MM. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I always bow to everyone's superior knowledge on here but for so many reasons Mason shouldn't be looked upon as 'disposable' or surplus to requirements.

Yes I know this is the Havertz thread and he was great the other night, but we've waited long enough!!

I guess I'm peeved because several of my favourites get off-loaded before their time (IMO) i.e. Mata, Luiz, Cesc and Giroud.

Looks to me like "everyone's superior knowledge" is less than yours to be honest Jane , the players you listed were all brilliant for us .

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Hmm...especially when reading my posts Jane ,,don't confuse opinion with superior knowledge!

It's about different perspectives,,,the beauty of this Forum is the input from many different viewpoints....brings a wider view to the subject and matters not if individuals agree on something...expressing the view is what matters..(and how!)

Even the most cynical of us here develop a completely illogical emotional attachment to certain players, past and present, it's normal and part of being a true football follower regardless of club.

I would as a mild question ask the members here to list one present and one past player they made that attatchment to...anyone?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm...especially when reading my posts Jane ,,don't confuse opinion with superior knowledge!

It's about different perspectives,,,the beauty of this Forum is the input from many different viewpoints....brings a wider view to the subject and matters not if individuals agree on something...expressing the view is what matters..(and how!)

Even the most cynical of us here develop a completely illogical emotional attachment to certain players, past and present, it's normal and part of being a true football follower regardless of club.

I would as a mild question ask the members here to list one present and one past player they made that attatchment to...anyone?

Rather off topic Chara, but, as a brief interlude, allowed!!  Just the names needed.

Mason Mount (not illogical)

Ricci Carvalho (not illogical) 

38 minutes ago, chara said:

Tiago Silva

Pat Nevin (and many others, sometimes theres a gap but nearly always i have a favourite player)

On the odd occasion i have had two favourite players in the team-examples being Robben and Ballack, Swain and wilkins, fillery and nutton

Edited by flllerywhereru2

55 minutes ago, chara said:

None from the present, so I'll give you two from the past - Chris Garland (I was young!), Joey Jones . "Joey's gonna get yer la la la la".

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Looks to me like "everyone's superior knowledge" is less than yours to be honest Jane , the players you listed were all brilliant for us .

Thanks Mark but I often post with my heart not my head; although, of course, those players were brilliant for us and any one of them could have stayed on, not even at their peak, and still done a job for us.  The reason?  They were all class and had proved it.

When I say "everyone's superior knowledge" I mean on tactics, formations, who plays better with who, and so it goes on.  I'm in awe of some of the conversations on here which is why I hate it when things get personal.  It gets in the way of some brilliant debates.    

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JaneB said:

PS.  Totally illogically, Fernando Torres.  I felt sorry for him.

Somebody had to Jane!

I always thought that he was just a game away from being great. Had some top moments, but always looked like someone had stolen his lunch money! One that I really wish ad worked out - both for him, and us.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My illogical one is Adrian Mutu , I thought he was great , then he went all "Scarface" on us.

Yeah, what a waste of talent!🙁

Had all the technical and physical ability  needed to become a great player and Chelsea legend, but threw it all away.🙁

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My illogical one is Adrian Mutu , I thought he was great , then he went all "Scarface" on us.

It always amazed me how quickly both Mutu and Crespo were conducting interviews in almost fluent English after their arrivals at Chelsea.  

Best ignore it was because one because he was a top professional and the other needed it to be able to talk to girls and some "useful" people in nightclubs 😄

• Haha 1

Very good article about Havertz's role against Dortmund on the Athletic. A couple of snippets:

Note here that Havertz is not operating as a No 9, the position he has most often been shoehorned into at Chelsea ever since Potter’s predecessor Thomas Tuchel lost faith in Timo Werner and Romelu Lukaku. Sterling was consistently the furthest man forward against Dortmund, tasked with stretching the Dortmund defence while the Germany international drifted into pockets of space behind him and linked attacks together.

Havertz’s license to roam allowed him to do one of the things that made him such a coveted young attacker at Bayer Leverkusen: arrive late in the penalty area from deeper positions, rather than try to connect with crosses and through passes from a standing start in the box while battling bigger, more physical defenders.

Edited by FrankLampard8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

arrive late in the penalty area from deeper positions, rather than try to connect with crosses and through passes from a standing start in the box while battling bigger, more physical defenders.

Isnt this also the J.Felix role too?

48 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Isnt this also the J.Felix role too?

Quite. The patterns of play seemed to be Sterling playing on the shoulder of the last man with Havertz and Felix given licence to drop off and create. 

The more time passes, the more I can't fathom why we would extend Felix's stay. If Nkunku is coming (a deal i'm increasingly less keen on), Havertz, hopefully Mount flanked by Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke and almost certainly a new striker - where do they all fit in?

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yeah, what a waste of talent!🙁

Had all the technical and physical ability  needed to become a great player and Chelsea legend, but threw it all away.🙁

We'd never have discarded SFL or JT so quickly for drugs offences. 

They certainly wouldn't have been sacked.