Kai Havertz

JaneB

A true enigma of a player. 

On the surface he has the demeanour of someone silky and relaxed with a degree of talent just waiting to blossom, but in reality it just never really materialised into tangible substance. No idea what his best position is, or what he truly excels at, but yeah.

Appreciate his effort and of course that Champions League final goal, but overall hard to see where he truly fitted moving forward. 

Would be on brand for him to suddenly turn into Bergkamp 2.0 or something. So I suppose it'll be interesting to see how he fairs at Arsenal. Either way, happy with the financial return and investing that back into someone who can have a more defined place in the squad. 

• Like 2

A bit of a shame to see him leave, however it was probably best for all, especially with the only two years remains on his contract and the problems he had witnessed with players trying to extend contracts with the new owners.

Going to be the usual of an ex-chelsea player to have blinders against us

Great talent and will be sorely missed

Could come back and haunt us this one, but I still feel we have got decent money for him. He had some very good games for us, but not on a consistent basis , and I think we would all agree that we still don’t know what his best position is.  His career to date has probably suffered a little from not having a defined role/position.

One thing I won’t miss though. The constant stupid fouls he commits. I’ve never seen a player who commits so many ridiculous fouls that you will never get away with . It was so frustrating. 

• Agree 1

Mixed feelings. Doesn't feel as unresolved as some other talents we've moved on because he actually did achieve things here and has left a mark. In that sense, we got our money's worth. And there's also the fact he asked to leave and did not want to enter negotiations to renew his contract, so this feels much more about being pragmatic than cutting losses.

I think he has incredible talent and I'll always admire that his work rate went up rather than down when we were really up against it last year. I also think, though, that finishing isn't one of his talents and probably never will be. Finishing is what we need the most right now.

If he wasn't going to a team I dislike and we will play twice a year, I don't think I'd be at all bothered and could wish him well. I am morbidly fascinated to see how he does at Arsenal. My sense is that it'll be ... Fine. Occasional highs, generally looking classy, but not transformative. We'll see.

• Like 1

I think we've done very well here. He frustrated us more often than not. it  feels like we were speaking about him the same way were in season 1, as if just around the corner he will come good. It's 2 years later and it still hasn't clicked. Now Arsenal fans have inherited that narrative "he will come good now he is with us". I don't see it. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2023 at 12:22, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I think we've done very well here. He frustrated us more often than not. it  feels like we were speaking about him the same way were in season 1, as if just around the corner he will come good. It's 2 years later and it still hasn't clicked. Now Arsenal fans have inherited that narrative "he will come good now he is with us". I don't see it. 

He's another player that should have been shipped out long ago.

A manager can only do so much.If a player  can't understand the basics  and has no initiative you will beat your head against the wall as what happened to Tuchel.

• Agree 1

Take it with a large pinch of salt as it’s a report on a player’s wage packet , but i heard he’s now Arsenal’s best paid player on about twice what he got here. Bold move given his record up until this point. 

29 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Take it with a large pinch of salt as it’s a report on a player’s wage packet , but i heard he’s now Arsenal’s best paid player on about twice what he got here. Bold move given his record up until this point. 

Rumour is £17m a year, so about £330k a week. No wonder he didn't want to enter into negotiations on a new deal with us, we'd have to be insane to be offering anything close to that.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Rumour is £17m a year, so about £330k a week. No wonder he didn't want to enter into negotiations on a new deal with us, we'd have to be insane to be offering anything close to that.

If true that is utter madness.

• Agree 1

On 02/07/2023 at 10:11, RDCW said:

If true that is utter madness.

First Jorginho and now Havertz!.It seems Arteta is using a sledge hammer to break eggs.

I think he is giving himself enough rope to hang - or he is a tactical genius.

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

First Jorginho and now Havertz!.It seems Arteta is using a sledge hammer to break eggs.

I think he is giving himself enough rope to hang - or he is a tactical genius.

I fear that Havertz may yet turn out to be a masterstroke especially as City have swapped a goalscoring midfielder for one who rarely scores.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think you mean Arsenal. Or Kovacic.

I meant that Kovavic doesnt score as much as Gundogan and Havertz if played in his best position may well score more than he did with us. None of which is our concern anymore. We first have to climb back into top 6 for starters with a younger squad of varying experience levels/abilities, would be nice to cause some ofthe challengers a few problems along the way at the very least 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It’s like watching a compilation of his Chelsea career!

And every cross was almost perfect...and he still missed...I seem to remember the odd comment that he didn't get good service with Chelsea...hmmm.

• Haha 1