Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

but we / you are mixing the should and the would.

he should have

he wouldn't have 

Well, we will never know. 

He was found not guilty so completely irrelevant. 

As a football fan, a fan of this club, I never want to see him wear our shirt again.

Sack him, sell him, loan him, let him rot in the reserves, I don't care. Whatever needs to happen to make sure he never kicks a ball for us again should. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Statement from Kick it Out

The third paragraph for me is crucial. It's fine to have an apology and to "investigate", but what will matter are the concrete actions going forward.  "Really sorry and it won't happen again" is not going to be enough in this case.

I'm also glad they've called on other clubs involved to do something. It isn't sufficient to just expect Chelsea to deal with it, even if Enzo's role in it appears to be quite central. 

Totally agree with everything you've said here - very well put 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Which is the exact point I was trying to make, but you have made it more succinctly. 

Apologies, perhaps I misunderstood your point. 

I think he will be fined. He will be suspended and probably made to go on some sort of racial awareness, diversity training course (or some garbage like that, of which those of us in the corporate world are all too  familiar with), and then everyone will kiss and make up. 

Can't see our squad going down the Liverpool solidarity T-shirt route, though.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Statement from Kick it Out

The third paragraph for me is crucial. It's fine to have an apology and to "investigate", but what will matter are the concrete actions going forward.  "Really sorry and it won't happen again" is not going to be enough in this case.

I'm also glad they've called on other clubs involved to do something. It isn't sufficient to just expect Chelsea to deal with it, even if Enzo's role in it appears to be quite central. 

A correct statement was made here from both Kick It Out and @Proud-Blue in summarising it. The incident and the fallout from it are far bigger than just Enzo and Chelsea and it has to be reported and punished as such. The Argentinian FA should be dealt with harshest, followed by the players involved, particularly Enzo as he was stupid enough to film it and post it on social media.

The punishment the players receive should be not just from their clubs, but also the Argentinian FA and FIFA. Whilst he is a representative and employee of Chelsea, it should not just be on them as a club to handle this and punish the one single player. I would hope FIFA and/or the Argentinian FA suspend Enzo and those others involved for a decent period of time as well as heavy fines.

Have any other clubs who have players in this squad and in particular in this video, made any statements yet?

• Agree 1

Enzo Fernandez has apologised to his Chelsea team-mates for the video showing him and members of the Argentina squad singing a song that included racist and homophobic slurs about France players.

Other than issuing a public apology for his part in the video, Fernandez apologised on a message that was circulated around the entire Chelsea squad.

Chelsea have confirmed that the club has started an internal disciplinary procedure over the matter that is likely to see Fernandez fined.

Before issuing their statement, Chelsea had to verify that the video was real and speak with Fernandez, following the increase in Al-generated content being posted on social media.

Matt Law - The Telegraph

As I said earlier - how can the club expect to ban racism from the stands if they keep Enzo?

But as some have said here, it’s all about the money, so Maresca will have to deal with the squad issues that this will cause. From purely a footballing view imo it’s worth taking the L and getting rid to keep the squad together. Even if Enzo was our best player I’d be taking the same stance.  👀💯🏴‍☠️

• Agree 1

This is such an emotive and difficult situation,

For me the published apology was straight out of a boiler plate apology file.

Everyone here could easily push out something like that in a very short time and it does not feel in any way sincere or worth more than whatever screen it appears on.

Another question from me...who started the "song" this time and before?....not a new thing if all involved appear to know the words. Bit like someone starting "The Wild Rover" on a Saturday night  ..familiar and easily joined into .

I would accept, just about, as an apology only, not a shut down of the issue, a public interview and personal apology on a major network seen by the majority of viewers.

I can't help but feel he's done at Chelsea or anywhere other than his home country.

Generally speaking the SB attendees are very good with our own   but I shudder to think how the crowd will/would react first time he is seen in a Chelsea shirt at SB.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chara said:

This is such an emotive and difficult situation,

For me the published apology was straight out of a boiler plate apology file.

Everyone here could easily push out something like that in a very short time and it does not feel in any way sincere or worth more than whatever screen it appears on.

Another question from me...who started the "song" this time and before?....not a new thing if all involved appear to know the words. Bit like someone starting "The Wild Rover" on a Saturday night  ..familiar and easily joined into .

I would accept, just about, as an apology only, not a shut down of the issue, a public interview and personal apology on a major network seen by the majority of viewers.

I can't help but feel he's done at Chelsea or anywhere other than his home country.

Generally speaking the SB attendees are very good with our own   but I shudder to think how the crowd will/would react first time he is seen in a Chelsea shirt at SB.

Never mind the crowd. How about his French teammates?

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I think he will be fined. He will be suspended and probably made to go on some sort of racial awareness, diversity training course (or some garbage like that, of which those of us in the corporate world are all too  familiar with), and then everyone will kiss and make up. 

With TBSD being very good at sending players to Coventry. 

I would suggest for Enzo, TBSD send him to Port Stanley instead of Coventry 

Guest Alex

Pretty much had it with him now. Crap player and a crappy person too it appears.

La Marca had the translations of the chanting he was posting and it was outrageous, just pure racism from someone who obviously doesn't understand he himself is an economic migrant. Fofana is very upset and annoyed about it, terrible for squad harmony, as soon as we're rid of this unpleasant and useless turd, the better.

41 minutes ago, ROTG said:

With TBSD being very good at sending players to Coventry. 

I would suggest for Enzo, TBSD send him to Port Stanley instead of Coventry 

And let him play in a decent stadium? No way man, I'd send him to Cebollitas fc of Peru.

check out the pitch, it's their equivalent of Wembley.

NINTCHDBPICT000891216988.jpg

Edited by Blue Kratos
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Never mind the crowd. How about his French teammates?

It'll be interesting to see how it's handled. Given the value and quality of the French players we have I wouldn't be surprised if it's them who disappear or continue to not feature .Whilst completely morally wrong, pragmatically they aren't really up to it (I know some don't rate Enzo either), it will be interesting to see the clubs moral compass on this. 

What a bloody mess he's created.

Edited by ChelseaJambo

Hmm my very bad limited Spanish sees Cebollitas as "little onions"...for what it's worth cebollia was used as a somewhat bawdry euphamism for "hanging parts" by the village lads I used to hang out with.😁🧅🧅

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm my very bad limited Spanish sees Cebollitas as "little onions"...for what it's worth cebollia was used as a somewhat bawdry euphamism for "hanging parts" by the village lads I used to hang out with.😁🧅🧅

Better a pair of little onions than a pair of shrivelled up raisins.

It’s Argentina at the end of the day, their behaviour surely surprises no one, but what are FIFA going to do to them realistically? Doubt they have the balls to ban them from upcoming tournaments. 

Edited by Floyd25

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Let the landslide begin.

He ran on a hard-right, "anti-woke" platform, didn't he? Some reporting that there are tensions between Argentina's FA and government, as their FA would like to apologise and take some sort of conciliatory action and their sporting minister is having none of it.

Still, from what I can tell, absolutely nothing from any other European club with an Argentinian player. And, predictably, no media pressure on them about this. 

Fits with what I've long thought. Chelsea have generally, for decades and under multiple ownerships, been pretty quick and tough in their actions on racism. Other clubs aren't. What the press and public sees is one club admitting a problem and doing something about it, and other clubs not having a problem ...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Blue Kratos said:

Does the club still have Tromso in their contact list?

I realised he can still go sunbathing in Peru.

article-0-0006B39B00000258-775_634x412.jpg

I was in Tromsø for 9 months in the early 1980's. The people up there are really nice and known for open arms and hospitality. I am sure he is more than welcome to join the club, helping out polishing boots, cleaning toilets, shovel snow. They won't need his football abilities. A year up there and I guess he will regret the racist song. 

Idiot!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

It’s Argentina at the end of the day, their behaviour surely surprises no one, but what are FIFA going to do to them realistically? Doubt they have the balls to ban them from upcoming tournaments. 

Wonder what the world's tabloid press two favourite players, Messi and Maradona (RIP), would say to their politicial leaders in this matter, or to Enzo and his singing........

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

I was in Tromsø for 9 months in the early 1980's. The people up there are really nice and known for open arms and hospitality. I am sure he is more than welcome to join the club, helping out polishing boots, cleaning toilets, shovel snow. They won't need his football abilities. A year up there and I guess he will regret the racist song. 

Idiot!

I’ve visited Tromsø and loved it. As you know I’m a huge Scandyland fan anyway! 🤩

• Love 2