Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

On 19/07/2024 at 10:11, Morgs said:

Thirty days to sort this mess out, Chelsea. 

Personally I think he is done. The club cannot afford the bad PR - they'll sell him or loan him to Italy where people don't really care as much about this sort of thing. The Italian clubs will be lining up to take him on loan instead of buying him because they know it's Chelsea. 

I think the same and a northern Italian club is probably his best chance of rehabilitating himself in Europe.

Else it's back to Argentina.

We almost certainly take a big hit. 

Guest Alex
13 hours ago, RDCW said:

I cannot think of a good reason why Enzo would see fit to visit Llanelli, unless his Argentine roots have endowed him with an interest in the pursuit of the egg-shaped ball and he experienced a need to prostrate himself at the holy shrine of Parc y Scarlets!

Are the Scarlets your rugby club side Mr Williams?

I have a lot of family history with Parc y Scarlets.

Guest Alex

And very possible Fernandez is a rugby fan, but still can't see that being why he was there.

15 hours ago, Alex said:

If we're getting into it, I can't call you Butt, as Llanelli is not in the Valleys.

Everywhere in Wales is in 'The Valleys'.  Even seaside resorts like Tenby. When Dolly Parton's Welsh roots were revealed the other day (a vague link to Conway, which is on the North Wales coast, some 150  miles north of the Rhondda, Rhymney, Garw, Llynfi or Swansea valleys), the press couldn't resist saying she was from 'The Valleys'.

Edit: Reading the report, there seems to be a strong possibility he wasn't even in Llanelli:

The 23-year-old Argentina international was convicted of failing to identify the driver of a Porsche Cayenne.

He was charged with failing to give information relating to the identification of the driver when required to by Dyfed-Powys Police on December 27 last year.

Fernandez was found guilty in his absence at a hearing at Llanelli Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, according to court documents.

Two other charges - of driving a car on a road without third-party insurance and failing to stop at a red light in Church Street, Llanelli - were withdrawn.

It could be he lent the Porsche to an uninsured friend, who got caught on camera going through a red light, and when they traced the car back to him he wouldn't give the police the driver's details to prevent him getting a ban.

Edited by Backbiter

Guest Alex
11 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Everywhere in Wales is in 'The Valleys'.  Even seaside resorts like Tenby. When Dolly Parton's Welsh roots were revealed the other day (a vague link to Conway, which is on the North Wales coast, some 150  miles north of the Rhondda, Rhymney, Garw, Llynfi or Swansea valleys), the press couldn't resist saying she was from 'The Valleys'.

Edit: Reading the report, there seems to be a strong possibility he wasn't even in Llanelli:

It could be he lent the Porsche to an uninsured friend, who got caught on camera going through a red light, and when they traced the car back to him he wouldn't give the police the driver's details to prevent him getting a ban.

Without phoning a friend, my plastic (part) Welshness doesn't give me the conviction to be certain of the geographical region that the Valleys encompasses or stand behind my previous assertion that Llanelli isn't in fact in the Valleys, or indeed who should indeed be calling people or getting called, Butt.

Sadly the number of times I've been to the country can be counted on my fingers. Having a Welsh surname and having a few Welsh rugby internationals as former teammates did get me a few Welsh girlfriends and some friendly welcomes places though.

Guest Alex

I'm remembering that 'outside the box thinking' from a (shared) publicist that got Cheryl and Ashley Cole together to counter the negative press speculation surrounding them both that she was a racist and that he was gay (of course not comparable things, no doubt it was because there was a lot of shitty tabloid speculation about gay premiership players at the time).

I definitely think Chelsea should at least try and go down the same route of attempting to  find a suitably high-profile French person of African heritage or origin willing to date him. And if nobody is wants to, there's always... www.rentaminority.com that could be of use.

Edited by Alex

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Sadly the number of times I've been to the country can be counted on my fingers. Having a Welsh surname and having a few Welsh rugby internationals as former teammates did get me a few Welsh girlfriends and some friendly welcomes places though.

Rugby or football teammates?

Guest Alex
Just now, Backbiter said:

Rugby or football teammates?

Rugby, played both, but what made me good at rugby were sadly not qualities well suited to football even as a centre-back or goalkeeper.

You must have played at a high level, then. I've played football and cricket with and against a number of former Wales internationals. A couple were good cricketers but most were very average footballers. I once played a charity cricket match against a team featuring JPR Williams, Barry John, Terry Holmes and Bob Norster. 

3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

So he’s thick as pigshit as well as a racist, then. 💯💀👀

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Are the Scarlets your rugby club side Mr Williams?

I have a lot of family history with Parc y Scarlets.

Ospreys, I'm afraid, but not rabidly so. As an exile I exalt all the Welsh sides and Stradey Park was the scene of many historic triumphs, most notably when Llanelli beat the All Blacks in 1972!

Guest Alex

I wasn't a pro rugby player, I played for Cobham and a few other local Surrey teams. Cricket and football similarly. Never played football against anyone famous, rugby and cricket countless times. Have dumped Jonny Wilkinson on his arse many dozens of times, mostly from the back of the scrum as he was receiving the ball. He's really tough for his size and a very lovely chap. 

Edited by Alex

@Backbiter...hmm..I did envisage the possibilty of, more or less, the scenario you suggested .

Like you lend your Porsche to someone who drives all the way to Wales and gets stopped or caught on camera not on a Mway but a street in Llanelli?..Bizarre.

I have an old truck..no problem to lend it to someone but our "best" vehicle I would hesitate to lend anyone...but then again I don't have an inflated salary to spend.

Pales against the "song/chant" issue but is this just another "Can't Fix Stupid" incident ?

57 minutes ago, Alex said:

I wasn't a pro rugby player, I played for Cobham and a few other local Surrey teams. Cricket and football similarly. Never played football against anyone famous, rugby and cricket countless times. Have dumped Jonny Wilkinson on his arse many dozens of times, mostly from the back of the scrum as he was receiving the ball. He's really tough for his size and a very lovely chap. 

My old club... except it was Old Surbitonians back then. Played for the Sunday side whilst still at school. Most of the time, when not at uni, I played for Rosslyn Park in the days of Andy Ripley, Neil Mantell, Phil Keith-Rroach, Charlie Kent,  et al.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chara said:

@Backbiter...hmm..I did envisage the possibilty of, more or less, the scenario you suggested .

Like you lend your Porsche to someone who drives all the way to Wales and gets stopped or caught on camera not on a Mway but a street in Llanelli?..Bizarre.

I have an old truck..no problem to lend it to someone but our "best" vehicle I would hesitate to lend anyone...but then again I don't have an inflated salary to spend.

Pales against the "song/chant" issue but is this just another "Can't Fix Stupid" incident ?

When you're on the money he's on, lending someone your Porsche is like a normal person lending their 10 year old Ford Focus to a mate. (But a normal person would check the driver was insured first.)

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

My old club... except it was Old Surbitonians back then. Played for the Sunday side whilst still at school. Most of the time, when not at uni, I played for Rosslyn Park in the days of Andy Ripley, Neil Mantell, Phil Keith-Rroach, Charlie Kent,  et al.

I see you've failed to mention a single Welsh international there.

Guest Alex
19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know Andy Ripley's name from that legendary Lions tour

41 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I see you've failed to mention a single Welsh international there.

I'm not the one who claimed to know any Welsh internationals (though I did share a pitch with JPR once... being a prop and him a full back I doubt we were ever closer than 20 metres from each other)... that was someone else.

Sadly there were some Welsh sorts at Old Surbs who were very cliquey, which is why I spent most of my time at Rosslyn Park. 😉

Guest Alex

Aaah you're a former prop, that says a lot about a person😂 Craziest people I know are props. Also the biggest drinkers. I was an eight and 10 pints was a mammoth session for me, and that is/was rare (stag nights, lads holidays...etc), the props I played with frequently went past 20.

Guest Alex
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Sorry drinking, we played for the same team at different times! Brilliant!

On 19/07/2024 at 17:57, Alex said:

Everything you say is  codswallop and not at all what I am thinking or implying.

It was a joke about Enzo being the sort of person they'd get as a candidate, because they had plenty of problems with poorly-vetted racists they had to boot from the party. It's the perennial problem of the far-right in any era or country), because it's a space that contains a fair amount of racist loonies. Of course not everyone who is in that party or who voted for them is either of those things.

You have chosen to be very offended and make as big an issue of this as you possibly can.

if you couldn't be arsed to read the terms of registration the first time, I suggest you re-read it. If you did, then you need to understand that these rules are for everyone and for everyone's benefit. You are not exempt even if you do believe in the absolute moral certainty of your opinions. In case you are hard of comprehension, the condition that says "No religious or political posts are allowed." means exactly that. I am off now.

• Like 1

Politics is a no go area on here, full stop. We’re a football forum, that occasionally veers off into nonsense, but never politics, because sadly these days it’s far too divisive.

I don’t think anyone has gone too far into politics, but we’re treading a thin line, so let’s just stop and go no further, please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Alex
16 hours ago, Sciatika said:

if you couldn't be arsed to read the terms of registration the first time, I suggest you re-read it. If you did, then you need to understand that these rules are for everyone and for everyone's benefit. You are not exempt even if you do believe in the absolute moral certainty of your opinions. In case you are hard of comprehension, the condition that says "No religious or political posts are allowed." means exactly that. I am off now.

I know where the line is thanks, I made a joke you took a great deal of offense at, I've tried to be concillitory and explain you've misconstrued my meaning.

I would like to add that another rule of social media etiquette (and having a nice friendly forum) is being polite in how we express ourselves and not being unpleasant or personal even if we disagree. This is something you're not really following. You didn't accept my explanation, fine your choice, but come on let's dial down the hostility. This should have been water under the bridge by now.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I know where the line is thanks, I made a joke you took a great deal of offense at, I've tried to be concillitory and explain you've misconstrued my meaning.

I would like to add that another rule of social media etiquette (and having a nice friendly forum) is being polite in how we express ourselves and not being unpleasant or personal even if we disagree. This is something you're not really following. You didn't accept my explanation, fine your choice, but come on let's dial down the hostility. This should have been water under the bridge by now.

Didn't want to pile in but you did make huge derogatory sweeping statements and then tried to underplay them.  

I'm a fan of your input here but come on.....