Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

8 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Politics is a no go area on here, full stop. We’re a football forum, that occasionally veers off into nonsense, but never politics, because sadly these days it’s far too divisive.

I don’t think anyone has gone too far into politics, but we’re treading a thin line, so let’s just stop and go no further, please.

How does one discuss such a topic as racism in relation to lineage, birth and passport without discussing politics though?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

How does one discuss such a topic as racism in relation to lineage, birth and passport without discussing politics though?

Carefully and considerately and if someone can’t do that, then I would suggest they just don’t get involved in such a conversation.

Some subjects obviously have an element of politics, which is fine and to be expected, but what we don’t want to get into is political debate as this is just not the place for it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Guest Alex
1 hour ago, Ham said:

Didn't want to pile in but you did make huge derogatory sweeping statements and then tried to underplay them.  

I'm a fan of your input here but come on.....

Don't feel you are piling on and similarly enjoy your input.

And while I do value your opinion and agree with you about a lot you post, we will have to agree to disagree about this though, nor am I downplaying anything. Reform booted out a bunch of candidates this summer for racism, among the scandals were social media texts targeting a similar demographic to the Argentine chants. I drew a parallel to the Fernandez issue, in an  attempt at humour, I wasn't being derogatory, but if it's been taken that way, that's a choice. But to interpret it as me making a blanket political statement about that party's voters is a hell of a leap.

Edited by Alex

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Carefully and considerately and if someone can’t do that, then I would suggest they just don’t get involved in such a conversation.

Some subjects obviously have an element of politics, which is fine and to be expected, but what we don’t want to get into is political debate as this is just not the place for it.

It might help if those who continually post right-wing tropes were occasionally challenged by the mods, and that when some of us feel the need to challenge them because the mods aren't doing their job properly, we don't get admonished for doing so.  It's almost as if it's OK to tell lies, but not OK to pull up the lies!  😉

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It might help if those who continually post right-wing tropes were occasionally challenged by the mods, and that when some of us feel the need to challenge them because the mods aren't doing their job properly, we don't get admonished for doing so.  It's almost as if it's OK to tell lies, but not OK to pull up the lies!  😉

I haven’t pulled anyone up on anything. I posted to just remind people not to go too far into politics, that was all.

I try hard not to pull anyone up on here, unless I feel it’s really necessary because I don’t think that’s what this forum needs or the users want. If you don’t think that’s enough, then that’s fine, you’re entitled to and I appreciate your opinion.

I would more than welcome you or anyone else to become a moderator to help us out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I would hesitate to put that responsibility (or indeed power) in the hands of the other members without serious deliberation/election and certainly not on Bob's unfair say so. You guys do a great job under quite considerable provocation at times, and allegations of bias or unfairness are baseless in my view.

And I speak as one who himself has been asked to tone it down at one time or another !

• Like 4

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I would more than welcome you or anyone else to become a moderator to help us out.

Got a few coffers in the collection box and happy to throw them your way, if you can give me the rights to turn off the emoji button.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

no-one could have scripted this better than Enzo himself for complete foolishness. 

It gives the impression he want to play football elsewhere this coming season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13657057/Chelsea-star-Enzo-Fernandez-river-plate-racism.html

Now, I speculated on here as to whether the clubs’ refusal to allow Fernandez to play in the Olympics had resulted in him engineering a way for that to occur. I think most can recognise how some players can be petulant when things don’t go their way. A bit far fetched, but we’ve seen similar over the years at a few clubs. Jumping deliberately into a nasty area such as race would be pretty dumb though.

But, off-duty and going to a top level team’s stadium and parading in their football kit is something that NEVER should be done. Crosses a line for me, get him out - just for that. Completely disrespectful. 

Drogba loved Marseille and spoke fondly of them, but never went back whilst playing for us. Apart from the CL ties, where he (kindly spoken) struggled for form.

Looking at this Fernandez wants out.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, east lower said:

But, off-duty and going to a top level team’s stadium and parading in their football kit is something that NEVER should be done. Crosses a line for me, get him out - just for that. Completely disrespectful. 

Controversial Question and you don't have to answer

In your opinion is it on the same level as a player saying, he would like to return back to a country at some point in his career and play for a particular team again?

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Controversial Question and you don't have to answer

In your opinion is it on the same level as a player saying, he would like to return back to a country at some point in his career and play for a particular team again?

The wearing of another clubs' kit - It's disrespectful to the fans of the club you are playing for, it's disrespectful to those paying your wages and professionally supporting you.

I don't like it particularly when a player says he'd like to play for another club whilst at Chelsea - Although with most things, context can be the bit that makes me say "you snake" or "that's fair enough"

Thiago Silva saying at the end if his contract, that Chelsea couldn't agree new terms on, that he'd like to go back to Fluminese - that scenario sits OK for me.

Whereas, Courtois saying he needed out to go to Real Madrid - for spurious reasons, very much did not.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Looks like Enzo is doing a Lukaku to me. 

Sell him now even at a loss , swap him for Osimhen if you must I suppose .

💯, Mr. K. Apart from this appalling episode, he’s just not suited in the PL. Massive waste of money. 💸💀🇦🇷 🙅‍♂️ 

Something over nothing. 

On his holidays he goes to see his favourite team from back home and is ambushed with a shirt. 

I have no issue with this at all. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Looking at this Fernandez wants out.

That was my immediate thought on seeing coverage of this. I think you could only be this stupid on purpose, can't believe for a second it's naivety. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Something over nothing. 

On his holidays he goes to see his favourite team from back home and is ambushed with a shirt. 

He'll be well aware of the reaction to the video in Europe, given he's apologised.

He'll be well aware of the reaction to that reaction in Argentina, and what was likely if he put in a public appearance. He will very likely pay people to advise him on these things. 

How does the club do any meaningful reparative/restorative work within the squad if the player who apologised for singing the racist song 5 minutes ago is smiling and waving at thousands of people singing the racist song? 

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Looks like Enzo is doing a Lukaku to me. 

Sell him now even at a loss , swap him for Osimhen if you must I suppose .

25 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

💯, Mr. K. Apart from this appalling episode, he’s just not suited in the PL. Massive waste of money. 💸💀🇦🇷 🙅‍♂️ 

On the books he probably stands us £80m.

I'd be surprised if there's a European club outside of Real Madrid (and they've done their dough on M'Bappe), PSG and maybe Munich that can/would pay £50+ for him. So we have a big financial hit to take. Napoli can't spend £25m or so on Lukaku without selling and need a direct replacement. 

But, you cannot have one of your players do these things. And you may be right Mr Kelly, there may well be something bring engineered here. @Chelsea_Matt - Both of us have said so previously, as well as one or two others. Fabregas pace, without the abilities. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That was my immediate thought on seeing coverage of this. I think you could only be this stupid on purpose, can't believe for a second it's naivety. 

I suspect he knows that going back to face hus team-mates is going to be a massive issue and difficult in the extreme. And like so many these days, they manipulate to avoid 'facing the music' they created.

We can certainly pick them!

Edited by east lower

24 minutes ago, Ham said:

Something over nothing. 

So, you're say Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing) and you've a few days off and you used to drive for Mercedes and friends there who you visit, and on one visit they give you a Mercedes jacket to put on in front of an audience - do you do it?

He's really not helping himself, is he?

Turning up to your old teams ground, wearing their top is not a good look.

I understand he's just won the Copa America, gone back home to be with friends and family to celebrate, but he could have done it all a bit more privately, or at least not put that top on, it's just drawing attention to himself, which he possibly craves.

Would it have been that difficult to have jumped on a flight to England and apologised to those he has racially abused, his actual, current, teammates rather than going to watch a game of football at his former club?

• Agree 1