Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

So, you're say Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing) and you've a few days off and you used to drive for Mercedes and friends there who you visit, and on one visit they give you a Mercedes jacket to put on in front of an audience - do you do it?

You are comparing rivals who race against each other with two football clubs who never meet each other, and need quite specific and extreme circumstances to even be in the same competition. It’s not a realistic comparison.

He should have thought twice about doing it, given he is already in the spotlight. South Americans, more so Argentinians , are very passionate about their clubs back home. We have seen this many times in previous years with Tevez , Maradonna, Canigia…..they all have this romantic notion of going back to their club and finishing out their playing days at the club they joined as young kids. It’s a passionate and tribal league. 
Personally, I have no issue with him wearing the shirt, but he probably shouldn’t have put himself in that position, given he already has unwanted attention.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

You are comparing rivals who race against each other with two football clubs who never meet each other, and need quite specific and extreme circumstances to even be in the same competition. It’s not a realistic comparison.

Same sport, same principles- very relevant. Are River Plate paying wages or image rights.

Just now, east lower said:

Same sport, same principles- very relevant. Are River Plate paying wages or image rights.

You’re being over precious with the shirt situation. I agree it was a bit stupid though, but my expectations for footballers using their heads is extremely low, so it’s difficult for me to expect too much on this front. 
Not a rival, never has been a rival and never will be a rival of any sort.  If Caicedo did this with his first club in Ecuador, it wouldn’t even be news. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

You’re being over precious with the shirt situation. I agree it was a bit stupid though, but my expectations for footballers using their heads is extremely low, so it’s difficult for me to expect too much on this front. 
Not a rival, never has been a rival and never will be a rival of any sort.  If Caicedo did this with his first club in Ecuador, it wouldn’t even be news. 

Well, we clearly have different values and standards. 

12 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

He's really not helping himself, is he?

Turning up to your old teams ground, wearing their top is not a good look.

I understand he's just won the Copa America, gone back home to be with friends and family to celebrate, but he could have done it all a bit more privately, or at least not put that top on, it's just drawing attention to himself, which he possibly craves.

Would it have been that difficult to have jumped on a flight to England and apologised to those he has racially abused, his actual, current, teammates rather than going to watch a game of football at his former club?

Enzo was invited to the game from what I understand, which then saw him get a moment at half-time where he was presented to the crowd on behalf of River to receive applause for winning the Copa America. 

Don't think it's that big of a deal personally, he's certainly be painted as the instigator that's for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Enzo was invited to the game from what I understand, which then saw him get a moment at half-time where he was presented to the crowd on behalf of River to receive applause for winning the Copa America. 

Don't think it's that big of a deal personally, he's certainly be painted as the instigator that's for sure.

Well, he could have flown back to England, apologised to the team mates that he had racially abused instead, maybe?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Well, he could have flown back to England, apologised to the team mates that he had racially abused instead, maybe?

And that is exactly what he should have done. A modicum of contriteness and responsibility, as opposed to what he actually did.  And ought to be aware enough that a low-profile might have been the best way forward. 

But that's assuming he actually gives a ****!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

And that is exactly what he should have done. A modicum of contriteness and responsibility, as opposed to what he actually did.  And ought to be aware enough that a low-profile might have been the best way forward. 

But that's assuming he actually gives a ****!

I think, you and I have similar views on this from what I've read.

I understand why some think it's not a big deal, I really do and under normal circumstances I'd agree but the fact that he hasn't made any effort to come and see the teammates he racially abused, face to face speaks volumes. 

To then be seen at his former teams ground, wearing their shirt is totally unacceptable, clearly he cares more about them than he does his own club and team mates.

For the fans to then start singing the song, whilst not his fault at all, is just the icing on the cake. He can't control what they sing but it was fairly obvious,  especially after the backlash Argentinian fans have faced, they would sing it.

He should have been back at Cobham, making amends instead he feels his holiday is more important. 

And on another note, from another post, I'd have absolutely no issue if it was Caicedo, of course not but he's not just racially abused half his team mates and done nothing to make amends.

Edited by martin1905

Whatever happened to the phrase "you play for the shirt?"

Maybe Fernandez is showing what shirt he does now actually want to play for, peoples opinions of him might prove a little but too weighty now, bless him.

Get back to your team-mates, doesn't even have to cross the Atlantic soon to do so - just head North and do what you should already have done. Go and sit on a beach to use up your break, go from there then. 

I'd have already fined him the maximum permitted for the coach incident, he'd get a further two weeks for wearing the shirt of another football club (assuming the club did not him permission to do so). You'll then see from his reaction, whether he's minded to stay at our club.

Edited by east lower

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course it is.

How many times do we play River Plate? 

In your opinion Paul.

I would feel the same seeing any of our players wearing the shirt of any other team, in public, in their stadium, greeting their fans.

I wouldn't let my personal hatred for a certain team allow my thinking to be different.  

I wonder how people would have reacted to Eden Hazard being at the Bernabeu in  a Madrid shirt waving at their fans whilst he was still a Chelsea player.

Edited by martin1905

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

10 -15 years ago no one gives a shit about this stuff. It’s just in the age of people needing to take offence at the slightest thing these days. Fuelled massively by people needing to have an opinion on everything, which is fuelled massively by social media.

I sepnd thousands and thousands of pounds, year after year travelling all over Europe watching my chosen team. Seeing one of our superstar players, who has recently racially abused his team mates, wearing another teams shirt, in their stadium, waving at their fans. I find incredibly offensive.

It has nothing to do with social media, I'm not on it. 

8 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Enzo wearing a river shirt is not even the story here, yet Chelsea fans are almost hijacking it to be the story! The actual story is much more distressing and what should be condemned!

Which is exactly what I have done.

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Fined for a wearing a shirt of a team (his boyhood club) we never play, who are located thousands of miles away?

Jesus. 

Yes, absolutely. He's contracted to Chelsea FC and rewarded as such, and not by any other professional football club. Irrespective of location. 

He is supposed to be a professional footballer, gets paid handsomely to play and conduct himself in said manner - Something he is failing to do, on multiple fronts now.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

10 -15 years ago no one gives a shit about this stuff. It’s just in the age of people needing to take offence at the slightest thing these days. Fuelled massively by people needing to have an opinion on everything, which is fuelled massively by social media.

Enzo wearing a river shirt is not even the story here, yet Chelsea fans are almost hijacking it to be the story! The actual story is much more distressing and what should be condemned!

Exactly.

1. Enzo singing and live-streaming a racist song = big problem

2. Enzo wearing the shirt of his boyhood club and waving to the crowd at half-time at all = not a problem at all

We should be talking about no.1 and making sure this is handled correctly by the club. No.2 is a non-event and just another reason for people to pile on him.

I personally think we should be taking a very harsh stance on no.1 as it's such an ingrained problem which clearly isn't going away, when you see people try to explain it away by saying it's true that some French players also have African passports. Especially given the history of our club, we should be making a stand on this issue and not worrying about what other clubs, the Argentina FA or FIFA do about this.

if a player's boyhood club was Tottenham, Liverpool or Barcelona I would have a problem with him wearing the shirt and waving to the crowd whilst on holiday. If it's a club from another continent I couldn't care less.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

In your opinion Paul.

I would feel the same seeing any of our players wearing the shirt of any other team, in public, in their stadium, greeting their fans.

I wouldn't let my personal hatred for a certain team allow my thinking to be different.  

I wonder how people would have reacted to Eden Hazard being at the Bernabeu in  a Madrid shirt waving at their fans whilst he was still a Chelsea player.

Again, we play Real Madrid, and have done recently. It's not a personal hatred thing, it is a rivalry thing. The Mount argument is absurd. We will play United twice (at least) this season, and have competed with them for cups, leagues, european trophies etc 

Would it have bothered you if Drogba was pictured in the off season wearing the club shirt of an Ivorian team?

If there hadn't been the racist song, nobody would have their knickers in a twist over this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I sepnd thousands and thousands of pounds, year after year travelling all over Europe watching my chosen team. Seeing one of our superstar players, who has recently racially abused his team mates, wearing another teams shirt, in their stadium, waving at their fans. I find incredibly offensive.

It has nothing to do with social media, I'm not on it. 

Which is exactly what I have done.

Well I’m not surprised.  You choose to spend that time and money, it doesn’t give you some sort of privilege or exclusivity to take offence. It just gives you the opportunity to give an opinion, much like a Chelsea fan who lives in anywhere in the world. This is why we clash often, it’s safe to say we are very different people. I’d fully expect if we were to ever meet, we would likely detest each other’s music taste!

Very much a case of each to their own here . 

24 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Yup.

11 minutes ago, east lower said:

Yes, absolutely. He's contracted to Chelsea FC and rewarded as such, and not by any other professional football club. Irrespective of location. 

And? He is from Buenos Aires. River are his boyhood team. I suspect he will always be a River fan. Who cares?

there are MANY examples of this sort of thing happening and nobody cared. 

• Like 1

Anyone think he's going to take a leaf out of Pat Nevin's book, and publicly condemn the racist chanting by the fans of his boyhood club (I know Nevin was a Celtic fan but he had a Chelsea top as a kid)?  His intervention back in the 83-84 season was absolutely pivotal. 

Guys, saying you're sorry about singing the racist song and then putting yourself in the entirely predictable and avoidable situation where you're smiling and waving at thousands of people singing the racist song is the problem here. How do you convince Disasi, Gusto, Nkunku, and even the players who aren't directly targeted by the song that this guy does get it and you can trust him?

Wearing another club's shirt is an aggravating factor, sure, but only because there is something to aggravate.

Edited by thevelourfog

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I'm sure he'll do just that when he returns from holiday, something he is entitled to have irrespective of everything that's happened.

There's also a high probability there's been private conversations directly between Enzo and the others addressing matters. 

Once he gets back dialogue to mend bridges will no doubt continue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Exactly.

1. Enzo singing and live-streaming a racist song = big problem

2. Enzo wearing the shirt of his boyhood club and waving to the crowd at half-time at all = not a problem at all

We should be talking about no.1 and making sure this is handled correctly by the club. No.2 is a non-event and just another reason for people to pile on him.

I personally think we should be taking a very harsh stance on no.1 as it's such an ingrained problem which clearly isn't going away, when you see people try to explain it away by saying it's true that some French players also have African passports. Especially given the history of our club, we should be making a stand on this issue and not worrying about what other clubs, the Argentina FA or FIFA do about this.

if a player's boyhood club was Tottenham, Liverpool or Barcelona I would have a problem with him wearing the shirt and waving to the crowd whilst on holiday. If it's a club from another continent I couldn't care less.

Number 2  was Enzo wearing the shirt of his boyhood club whist paraded at half time as the crowd then sung the racist song he was already in trouble over. 

It just makes his apology look trite and him look a moron. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

And? He is from Buenos Aires. River are his boyhood team. I suspect he will always be a River fan. Who cares?

there are MANY examples of this sort of thing happening and nobody cared. 

Don't care if he was from Timbuktu and Timbuktu Wanderers were his team and always would be. Do you recall any of our players doing this whilst contracted to Chelsea FC? 

Did any of the Brazilian's do so, did any other South American players do so? The salient point remains - he's a professional and has to act like one. Wearing the shirt of another professional football club in a very public place and professionally connected organisation is disrespectful and possibly a breach of contract (none of us know, what rules there could be in his contract).

There are only negatives that can be taken from this, at a time when he and all around him should be concentrating on positive actions.