Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

Guest Alex
On 27/07/2024 at 02:09, Backbiter said:

That is still being dealt with by the police, I believe. 

They've ceased to be paid by their clubs and are waiting around in Argentina in a rental accomodation while they await their trial.

Guest Alex

An as an aside to the French rugby stuff, rugby is very different in France to what it is in the UK. It spread from Englishmen playing in  Bordeaux in the Aquitaine region, but is very much a working-class game rather than a sport rooted in the top public schools as it is in the UK and Ireland. Same in Italy.

Hence you frequently get news stories about French rugby players doing stupid stuff.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

He'll just have to get used to all the away ground booing.

So you believe come the Chity match, every Chelsea supporter at SB will have washed their hand of the whole affair?

Me thinks there will be a backlash. As it just shows how low the club will stoop to keep an £100m asset at the club. 

Had it been an academy player or a two bob player on the fringe of the first team, do you believe the club would have been so lenient?

Edited by ROTG

Guest Alex
On 26/07/2024 at 23:23, Backbiter said:

I can't see the Argentina FA dishing out this level of punishment, but don't be surprised if the English FA take action against one of our players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/articles/cx82v34plwro

I believe France has made a complaint to FIFA so while there are a number of bodies that could punish him (the Argentinian FA should be giving a punishment like the France Rugby Association) so I'm guessing a sanction (or any spineless failure to give one) should come from there.

Edited by Alex

Guest Alex
1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So you believe come the Chity match, every Chelsea supporter at SB will have washed their hand of the whole affair?

No, but can't see him getting booed much at The Bridge, maybe first game, even the first few.

In these sort of situations I'd say would be most normal for a sporting governing body to hand out sanctions (and for it to be FIFA, not the FA as they're handling the complaint). I don't think Chelsea have done anything wrong here, I think their response is fairly standard and I think most other clubs would have acted the same, and would be waiting for a government body to handle it.

Guest Alex

In a scandal for racist tweets before he became famous, the England Cricketer Olly Robinson was handed out a ban of three matches with a further five suspended. It was an independent panel commissioned by the ECB to adjudicate on its rules. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

No, but can't see him getting booed much at The Bridge, maybe first game, even the first few.

In these sort of situations I'd say would be most normal for a sporting governing body to hand out sanctions (and for it to be FIFA, not the FA as they're handling the complaint). I don't think Chelsea have done anything wrong here, I think their response is fairly standard and I think most other clubs would have acted the same, and would be waiting for a government body to handle it.

Really

Why should Enzo be treated any different to those, Idiot Chelsea supporters who have been caught at SB making racist comments towards players during a match. Their punishment is getting kicked out of the ground, having their season ticket cancelled "if they own one" and banned for a period of time, if not life.???

The whole thing is a shame by the club, and if the owners think this is going away, they are in for a shock not only from the supporters home and away also the media are not going to let this one drop into the abyss. 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Most clubs , Liverpool , Villa, Tottenham, City , haven't acted at all.

The one man bus ride farce continues with communal singing and dancing from the invisible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Really

Why should Enzo be treated any different to those, Idiot Chelsea supporters who have been caught at SB making racist comments towards players during a match. Their punishment is getting kicked out of the ground, having their season ticket cancelled "if they own one" and banned for a period of time, if not life.???

The whole thing is a shame by the club, and if the owners think this is going away, they are in for a shock not only from the supporters home and away also the media are not going to let this one drop into the abyss. 

Turn the other cheek .

Forgive. 

It's what Jesus would do.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Most clubs , Liverpool , Villa, Tottenham, City , haven't acted at all.

The one man bus ride farce continues with communal singing and dancing from the invisible.

All the more reason for Chelsea to take a leading role then.

I have no problem with Enzo being punished, but it should be proportionate and, if possible. have a positive outcome. If the FA/UEFA choose to ban the player, that's fine by me. We need to make an example of him so that all the players know this behaviour is unacceptable. But they must ban all the players on the coach. Whether they sang the song or not is irrelevant because, by inaction, they are culpable. Otherwise, they saying the issue is not the offence but whether you are caught on video. That seems to suggest that they are more concerned about bad publicity than anti-racism. Chelsea's attempt to resolve differences is the right one, if possible. If not, I think Enzo has to go. I think the idea of making a significant charitable contribution (matched by the club) is the positive bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I have no problem with Enzo being punished, but it should be proportionate and, if possible. have a positive outcome. If the FA/UEFA choose to ban the player, that's fine by me. We need to make an example of him so that all the players know this behaviour is unacceptable. But they must ban all the players on the coach. Whether they sang the song or not is irrelevant because, by inaction, they are culpable. Otherwise, they saying the issue is not the offence but whether you are caught on video. That seems to suggest that they are more concerned about bad publicity than anti-racism. Chelsea's attempt to resolve differences is the right one, if possible. If not, I think Enzo has to go. I think the idea of making a significant charitable contribution (matched by the club) is the positive bit.

Like most, if not all posters on all Chelsea FC related forums - I've no idea what the clubs strategic view on Fernandez is.

But, if they did want him out they probably need to get him playing, and performing at a decent level. Personally I think he can't cut it in the PL, but if his namesake and new coach can get him to be the influence on the pitch to the same level that he is for his national team, then I will happily eat my words about Fernandez and hail Maresca.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

99.9%

If he performs on the pitch, everything will be forgotten very quick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest Alex
4 hours ago, ROTG said:

Really

I think we all agree he's in the wrong and should face punishment. But the difference with racist fans is that is a matter for the club and the police, racism is considered a hate crime in the eyes of the law in the UK.

The difference here is who is the authority that will hear his case and dish out any punishment. It should be a sporting body, my guess it'll be FIFA as the complaint from the French FA is with them.

4 minutes ago, east lower said:

Like most, if not all posters on all Chelsea FC related forums - I've no idea what the clubs strategic view on Fernandez is.

But, if they did want him out they probably need to get him playing, and performing at a decent level. Personally I think he can't cut it in the PL, but if his namesake and new coach can get him to be the influence on the pitch to the same level that he is for his national team, then I will happily eat my words about Fernandez and hail Maresca.

Do you not remember how well he played before his hernia problem and his non-stop footballing programme? 

This season will tell. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

Do you not remember how well he played before his hernia problem and his non-stop footballing programme? 

This season will tell. 

If I'm being honest, no I didn't particularly think he was outstanding. At best maybe a good game or two, but against the better teams he hasn't performed. I'm not sure what sort of player he is frankly. He's not a Bernado Silva, not a De Bruyne, not a Lampard. Can't get around the pitch quick enough to destroy. 

Said this before, he's like Fabregas maybe, but without the vision or intelligence (experience?).

But, we will see indeed.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think we all agree he's in the wrong and should face punishment. But the difference with racist fans is that is a matter for the club and the police, racism is considered a hate crime in the eyes of the law in the UK.

The difference here is who is the authority that will hear his case and dish out any punishment. It should be a sporting body, my guess it'll be FIFA as the complaint from the French FA is with them.

I suspect FIFA will ban and fine him.  Easier for them to make an example of one player than of the whole squad and/or their current World Champions and their obvious issue with this.  

(IMO The Argentinian FA should have the book thrown at them for this, but they won't) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bert19 said:

I suspect FIFA will ban and fine him.  Easier for them to make an example of one player than of the whole squad and/or their current World Champions and their obvious issue with this.  

(IMO The Argentinian FA should have the book thrown at them for this, but they won't) 

This is my problem with the whole thing , essentially Enzo has become the "face" of racism and every single other person has got away with it from the Argentine FA to the Premier league clubs who's players were all on the bus singing and dancing along.

If Enzo is banned he's got a case to go to the court of arbitration in sport if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is my problem with the whole thing , essentially Enzo has become the "face" of racism and every single other person has got away with it from the Argentine FA to the Premier league clubs who's players were all on the bus singing and dancing along.

If Enzo is banned he's got a case to go to the court of arbitration in sport if you ask me. 

If that turned out to be the case, I’m not sure what legal case he has. 

Yes, others were involved - but if any case is brought, it will be individually based. Him saying “what about the others?”, won’t mean a thing. The only thing I can think of would be a mistaken identity case - him doing a Shaggy - 🎶it wasn’t me🎶 isn’t going to happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

99.9%

If he performs on the pitch, everything will be forgotten very quick.

Might as well let all those who the club have banned over the past few years for racist chants at players back with open arms along with the EDL 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The team excelled once he went for his hernia operation

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The team excelled once he went for his hernia operation

It may have been because they replaced an injured player with one who wasn't injured.

Turn the other cheek 

Forgive .

1 hour ago, Alex said:

But the difference with racist fans is that is a matter for the club and the police, racism is considered a hate crime in the eyes of the law in the UK.

If that's the case then surely him posting on social media racist chants is a violation of his UK visa.

Let's put it like this, if i spoke or wrote words with were not in line with the laws of the parish, I would be on the first available automobile, train and plane out of the parish with a big stamp in my passport telling me never to return. 

Its a funny old world 

19 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If that's the case then surely him posting on social media racist chants is a violation of his UK visa.

Let's put it like this, if i spoke or wrote words with were not in line with the laws of the parish, I would be on the first available automobile, train and plane out of the parish with a big stamp in my passport telling me never to return. 

Its a funny old world 

I expect they'd turn the other cheek and forgive you