Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

Guest Alex
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is my problem with the whole thing , essentially Enzo has become the "face" of racism and every single other person has got away with it from the Argentine FA to the Premier league clubs who's players were all on the bus singing and dancing along.

If Enzo is banned he's got a case to go to the court of arbitration in sport if you ask me. 

Nope, he's proved his participation by posting it online to prove he was revelling in the racist chanting.

Nobody else has been identified and that's because he's decided not to identify them so far.

If he doesn't identify them and they're not identified by other means he will most probably have a larger punishment and that'll be his choice.

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Nope, he's proved his participation by posting it online to prove he was revelling in the racist chanting.

Nobody else has been identified and that's because he's decided not to identify them so far.

If he doesn't identify them and they're not identified by other means he will most probably have a larger punishment and that'll be his choice.

No Alex that's no what happened , what happened was they live streamed the entire journey , there was much singing and dancing and celebrating , then the aforementioned song was sung and someone said you'd better turn that off now so he did . 

So he wasn't revelling in anything , caught red handed but not revelling 

If there was an appetite to identify the others then they would be identified but there isn't , certainly not from any of the other clubs  or apparently the Premier league .

• Like 1

Guest Alex
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

No Alex that's no what happened , what happened was they live streamed the entire journey , there was much singing and dancing and celebrating , then the aforementioned song was sung and someone said you'd better turn that off now so he did . 

So he wasn't revelling in anything , caught red handed but not revelling 

If there was an appetite to identify the others then they would be identified but there isn't , certainly not from any of the other clubs  or apparently the Premier league .

Yes that's what did happen. You can argue a case for context to say it was part of a wider celebration, like how in court the defence counsel would. But a celebration, which is also revelling, that features racism is still revelling in racism at point the racism happens.

To give an example we can all relate to. We've all no doubt had that situation where we've been on public transport out of The Bridge, there's chanting, then a racist chant begins and all the bystanders are horrified. You can't really argue that it was all fine and good-natured until that point and then the person that continues filming it doesn't know what was going on.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It may have been because they replaced an injured player with one who wasn't injured.

Turn the other cheek 

Forgive .

Or it might have been because we started to get injured players back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Enzo has been hammered by the Media and "punished" by Chelsea for an act not whilst at his own workplace....the rights and wrongs of that are open for much debate but Chelsea as a Club at least took action. again the effect or merits of that is debatable....so far NO OTHER PARTICIPANT HAS RECEIVED ANY PERSONAL CENSURE OR CRITICSM  (if I missed any I apologise but,,) and the Home Clubs have been deafening in their silence.

Something to dwell on?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes that's what did happen. You can argue a case for context to say it was part of a wider celebration, like how in court the defence counsel would. But a celebration, which is also revelling, that features racism is still revelling in racism at point the racism happens.

To give an example we can all relate to. We've all no doubt had that situation where we've been on public transport out of The Bridge, there's chanting, then a racist chant begins and all the bystanders are horrified. You can't really argue that it was all fine and good-natured until that point and then the person that continues filming it doesn't know what was going on.

I think the point is that he didn't specifically film him singing that song and then post it on social media.

He was live streaming and that song was started up, would love to know by who, and it went on for a bit before someone realised it was being live streamed and it stopped.

It's not an excuse, not in the slightest but for me there's a huge difference.

• Agree 1

From a different angle...not an endorsement or argument but listen to the words of many an Irish/Welsh/Scottish "traditional" song...the "Spear points gleaming" line in "Men of Harlech" to the surprise I think of some possibly, does not refer to the encircling force at Rorke's Drift...and have you actually read the words of "Flower of Scotland"?

Not excusing anything at all but all is not well in many places and immature foolishness on a team bus by a group of "isolated" from the real world boy men is not a hill to die on.

The environment that fostered the song needs rooting out but media crocodile tears is not a route to go.

• Like 1

Let alone verse 2 of God Save the King ("Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King." for those ignorant of it).

I fully confess to singing things I should not have in my youth (and occasionally after too many beers not so long ago), but have been re-educated by my daughter on pain of a good kicking. And right she is too.

In short, Enzo has been a twat, and now he'll have to take the pain of a bad reception wherever he goes. Of his own making. He'll pull through.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue Moon said:

Let alone verse 2 of God Save the King ("Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King." for those ignorant of it).

I fully confess to singing things I should not have in my youth (and occasionally after too many beers not so long ago), but have been re-educated by my daughter on pain of a good kicking. And right she is too.

In short, Enzo has been a twat, and now he'll have to take the pain of a bad reception wherever he goes. Of his own making. He'll pull through.

Absolutely agree and have the same confession as I suspect many others  here do,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I bought and sang along to "Some girls" by Racey.  We've all done it. 

Edited by Ham
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

I bought and sang along to "Some girls" by Racey.  We've all done it. 

You devil. Go wash out yer mouth with carbolic.

Guest Alex
2 hours ago, chara said:

Enzo has been hammered by the Media and "punished" by Chelsea for an act not whilst at his own workplace....the rights and wrongs of that are open for much debate but Chelsea as a Club at least took action. again the effect or merits of that is debatable....so far NO OTHER PARTICIPANT HAS RECEIVED ANY PERSONAL CENSURE OR CRITICSM  (if I missed any I apologise but,,) and the Home Clubs have been deafening in their silence.

Something to dwell on?

I've said it earlier, I think that should and will  come.  The point we should get annoyed at the point FIFA fudges it, bearing in mind they might be just a giant money-laundering operation that has nothing to do with governance of the globe's biggest game.

If you're employed though, you're subject to a your employer's social media policy. I'd wager a great deal he's oblivious of it due to his limited intellect and so torpedoed it without much thought.

Guest Alex
2 hours ago, chara said:

...and have you actually read the words of "Flower of Scotland"?

Or Le Marseillais

46 minutes ago, Alex said:

Or Le Marseillais

La Marseillaise, even 😉

EDIT:  BTW, it isn't a racist song. Nowhere does it mention other nations, races, etc specifically.
It's a revolutionary song warning of "ferocious soldiers" attacking (actually slitting the throats of) 'our sons and partners' and calling everyone to arms to protect the people and the land.

Edited by Bob Singleton
  • Haha 1

Guest Alex
3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

La Marseillaise, even 😉

😆 Just clicked on the predictive text on my phone

Guest Alex
16 minutes ago, Ham said:

There we go, soon the hugging post goal 

Guest Alex
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

In which case you need to buy a better phone!

Or stop writing in French about Marseille 😂