Official: Chelsea sign Enzo Fernandez on an Eight and a Half Year Contract

JaneB

35 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm amazed he played yesterday, should have been straight to the operating table when our season finished on Saturday. 

Don't rate him, haven't understood it since the first time I saw him kick a ball for us, but I still don't think playing him into the ground is a great idea.

In fairness, I think he was pretty good last season but his form has gone off a cliff.   

The hernia makes sense. 

I'm expecting a much better version post-op. I'd give him the rest of the season off and use Chuk or even Casadei.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, martin1905 said:

It's not his decision and clearly he can't force the issue but he does pick the players and all he had to do is quite simply not pick him.

And any medical person that claims it won't get worse by continuing to play should  be instantly sacked. It may not get worse, sure, but it absolutely could and certainly won't get any better by ignoring it.

He's less likely to get it done now than before,  didn't even know the Olympics was on this year but I'd imagine if he'd be more bothered about playing  in the Copa America, which Argentina will no doubt go deep into and then will have the surgery after, just in time for him to miss the start of next season.

Brilliant planning by all involved.....

If we had other midfield options I'd probably agree more, but we're in a pickle where Enzo and Caicedo have virtually required picking every week. Even if opting to drop Gallagher back into midfield and pushing Enzo to the bench, he'd still have had to play more than what's ideal for a player carrying an injury.

Is what it is at the end of the day. Just hope it all gets resolved so he can be fit for the start of next season, however that's managed.

5 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

For me his biggest problem is that his one real attribute (passing) doesn't compensate for his physical limitations. Fabregas wasn't the quickest but he was a genuinely elite level passer which easily compensated for his lack of pace.

Way back to Bobby Moore who was as slow as a coach, but he made up for that by having a brilliant football brain, positioning sense and timing of the tackle. JT another one 

Fabregas probably would've also struggled more if we played in the manner we do now. He was fortunate to have Matic hold the midfield, so there was always cover in behind, and then there was Kante with the legs for the additional running and pressing.

Enzo gets asked to be involved far more in transitional phases and that's naturally going to expose his athletic limitations more. We're also not maximising Caicedo in fairness, he could offer a lot more going forward than he does but because we have no real holding player to just sit both players are forced to do a bit of everything. 

Just posted this in the injury thread but relevant here given recent discussion.

Translation - [Hernán Castillo] Breaking news: Enzo Fernández will have surgery tomorrow for an inguinal hernia because the discomfort he suffers is great. His idea is to be recovered to play the Copa América. As always first in @Continental590

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Just posted this in the injury thread but relevant here given recent discussion.

Translation - [Hernán Castillo] Breaking news: Enzo Fernández will have surgery tomorrow for an inguinal hernia because the discomfort he suffers is great. His idea is to be recovered to play the Copa América. As always first in @Continental590

Right decision.

I admire him for playing through the pain for so long. The guy has needed a rest for a while anyway.

Fingers crossed we can have him fully fit for next season.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Bison said:

So Copa America and then the Olympics. Smart idea .

Getting the excuses ready for why he can't run next season.

When there are rumblings about egos at the club from people like Silva, I'm imagining Enzo as numero uno diva, demanding to play where he wants and now this. 

Let's hope he rips it up and gets some of that fat off him. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

When there are rumblings about egos at the club from people like Silva, I'm imagining Enzo as numero uno diva, demanding to play where he wants and now this. 

Let's hope he rips it up and gets some of that fat off him. 

He’s been massively, massively disappointing imo. Get shot of him and have Conor and Caicedo as the top midfield pairing with Lavia and Big Les backing them up. Cole as a number 10. 
 🧨💯👀🫡

• Like 2

After watching the lap of appreciation on Sunday, there’s at least two reasons for a hernia problem that I spotted.

Plus the chap had a pair of baggy jeans on that were just small patchwork denim squares of varying colours that looked like they’d have been put together by his nan. Probably cost hundreds, if not more. Too much money, not enough class. And as for his clothes……………

• Haha 1

Fair assessment in my very honest opinion. Can't defend, can't run and doesn't impact the final third enough. Not sure what can be done with this but we've got 8 more years to figure it out.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bison said:

Fair assessment in my very honest opinion. Can't defend, can't run and doesn't impact the final third enough. Not sure what can be done with this but we've got 8 more years to figure it out.

And so, the comments, the briefings and statements will be forthcoming.

Silence speaks volumes at a time like this, it’s not so much about those that speak, you learn more from those that don’t!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Conor > Enzo imo all day long espesh with Caicedo, who looks a different player when partnered with Conor. 🫡🙌🏻🎯

I'm looking forward to seeing Enzo free of injuries.  

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ham said:

For £100m++,  (I know that’s not on Enzo)  I should hope so but even given that personally I’d get rid and have Conor and Moises as our top two midfielders. Just my view. 🫡🎯💫

Edited by Chelsea_Matt

On 02/06/2024 at 19:45, Ham said:

Same. We need to learn very quickly if we have a player here or not. There can be more more excuses.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Toodles and Eggy must be livid with their ego buy..

thankfully he is not a game changer and as proved by poch  needing an operation the team is better without him. 

Fixed. 

What a mess. Can't see this ending well. Not good at the best of times, but when you have about 6 French players of African descent in the squad, there is a very personal and vested interest within the squad.

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What a mess. Can't see this ending well. Not good at the best of times, but when you have about 6 French players of African descent in the squad, there is a very personal and vested interest within the squad.

Guess he going on loan for a season with the hope of punting him next summer 

54 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I suspect he's in for a rough time from his teammates in training for the foreseeable.  Deserved too.  

Though he's seemed like a good lad so far at Chelsea, this is a really poor error .  He has to own this and I hope the club do punish him and make it clear that if it happens again he's gone.  

(and to be fair to him, he's owned up to it and apologised very quickly, but there has to be sincerity and substance to it)

I suspect he'll get a fine and probably a ban, but will have to work very hard to get his teammates onside again.  It's really unimpressive and even if he was getting carried away in the celebrations it tells us all a lot about the way his national team behave and what they think is acceptable.  

Maybe avoiding national team duty for a good while might do him good?  I really hope FIFA come down hard on the Argentinian FA and players here - their behaviour has been really unsavoury for quite a while and they've been lucky to avoid proper sanctions from what I can see.  

1 minute ago, Bert19 said:

I really hope FIFA come down hard on the Argentinian FA and players here - their behaviour has been really unsavoury for quite a while and they've been lucky to avoid proper sanctions from what I can see.  

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to the others in the video.

Yes Enzo was the one filming, but they were all merrily singing along. In terms of the racial content, they are all equally guilty. Enzo is additionally guilty of gross stupidity. 

• Agree 3

Just now, paulw66 said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to the others in the video.

Yes Enzo was the one filming, but they were all merrily singing along. In terms of the racial content, they are all equally guilty. Enzo is additionally guilty of gross stupidity. 

I'm already hearing "yeah but , yeah but MacAllister wasn't there " like night follows day.