Chelsea Finances Thread

Bob Singleton

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Stupid, biting the hand that feeds them, don't they want a strong away following? 

I'm very interested to see how, if at all, any players react to it. James could cover that in a week, Sterling would still have about twice the country's average salary to spare.

30 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Money to burn on players and weird, unnecessary improvements to the ground but not helping supporters get to away games. Grim.

Such an unnecessary hill to die on, reputationally. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/08/2023 at 12:21, Ham said:

Such an unnecessary hill to die on, reputationally. 

Such an amateurish move, conserving very little in pecuniary terms, but destroying a lot of goodwill. Very stupid and needless.

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

Such an amateurish move, conserving very little in pecuniary terms, but destroying a lot of goodwill. Very stupid and needless.

They are considering letting Sarr go on a free.  Why not put a price of £250k on him or just an additional £250k on any outgoing deal? Job done. 

Such an own goal to sour the good will they've earned this window.  

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Apparently tomorrow is the day clubs find out if they are to be charged under the PL profitability and sustainability rules. Could this be the news that Poch hinted at finding out about before kick off yesterday? Are we getting a points deduction?

34 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Apparently tomorrow is the day clubs find out if they are to be charged under the PL profitability and sustainability rules. Could this be the news that Poch hinted at finding out about before kick off yesterday? Are we getting a points deduction?

Quick, go out and spend another sixty million on a Brazilian child.!

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Tomorrow is when all PL teams find out whether they are clean for the current reporting period.

Nothing to do with announcements on penalties as far as I know. 

I reckon the"incident" before kick off was something to do with the players being  asked to get involved with "Argylle" nonsense whilst trying to focus on the game.

• Like 3

This might explain the rumours over selling Gallagher so we had the funds for a striker.

Now we have some points we may decide to risk it with alternating Broja and Jackson  and investing at the end of the season.  Or post finance report-out then go and blow an amount  on a new striker 

I don't think we're in much trouble as far as P&S goes right now. The issue is much more about what happens when we still don't have CL income and need to spend more money but what remains of the yearly budget is all used up on the amortisation of last summer's splurge.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think we're in much trouble as far as P&S goes right now. The issue is much more about what happens when we still don't have CL income and need to spend more money but what remains of the yearly budget is all used up on the amortisation of last summer's splurge.

I read somewhere that last summers splurge was actually a net spend of £153m which although a lot of money it's well short of the much heralded £2b so it's probably more workable than we would have imagined. 

38 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I read somewhere that last summers splurge was actually a net spend of £153m which although a lot of money it's well short of the much heralded £2b so it's probably more workable than we would have imagined. 

Could well imagine that to be the case. The issue is that we go into every summer for the next 6 or 7 years with £153m (or whatever the actual amount is, no point any of us being too picky about it when we should all be able to agree that, one way or another, it is a lot) already "spent". 

We will be doing a lot more selling players we'd rather keep on a football basis than we've been used to for some time.

30 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Could well imagine that to be the case. The issue is that we go into every summer for the next 6 or 7 years with £153m (or whatever the actual amount is, no point any of us being too picky about it when we should all be able to agree that, one way or another, it is a lot) already "spent". 

We will be doing a lot more selling players we'd rather keep on a football basis than we've been used to for some time.

Yeah I think so too, it looks very much like we will have to sell the home grown players to satisfy the idiots playing football managers profligate spending. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Holymoly said:

TalkSport absolutely wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of us failing FFP this year as we've not sold any players this window.

Do they not think, if we had to sell some players for FFP, we’d have been making some sort of effort to move at least a couple on?

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Do they not think, if we had to sell some players for FFP, we’d have been making some sort of effort to move at least a couple on?

Talk Sport are the channel for the hard of thinking 

Guest mrsm81

I think one thing we can be sure on is blue co is fronted by businessman that understand business. I'd be surprised if we fell foul of financial regs

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It is a great win win story that.  Right if we do, but an even better story if we don't.

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I be more concerned about ones coming back - Potentially Lewis Hall could come back,  along with Lukaku and the other 1001 loans, and as shown in the Jan window, clubs are not spending huge money with the new PL penalties 😮

Edited by ROTG

• 1 month later...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/08/chelsea-drop-oman-air-sponsorship-deal-spending-rules/

Chelsea mysteriously drop Oman Air deal as club fight to meet spending rules

Exclusive: Airline deal was thought to be worth £2 million-a-year deal but sources tell Telegraph Sport the partnership has been terminated

Matt Law, Football News Correspondent 8 March 2024 • 5:20pm

Chelsea have mysteriously terminated a sponsorship deal with Oman Air, as the club works to avoid breaching profit and sustainability rules.

The deal for Oman Air to become Chelsea’s ‘airline partner’, thought to be worth £2 million-a-year, was proudly announced by the club at the start of July.

But Oman Air no longer features on the ‘club partners’ section of the official website, where Chelsea’s other sponsors are listed and sources have told Telegraph Sport the deal has been terminated.

That means Chelsea currently do not have first-team front-of-shirt, sleeve or airline sponsors confirmed for next season.

Chelsea and Oman Air were both approached for comment and mystery surrounds why the sponsorship has been cut short just eight months into what was described as being ‘a multi-year deal’.

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino posed with Oman Air officials for the announcement, which was confirmed by Chelsea chief executive Chris Jurasek and Oman Air chief executive AbdulAziz Al Raisi.

Sources have suggested the problem over the deal arose on the Oman Air side, which forced Chelsea to agree to a termination, but neither party has commented or disclosed any details.

While £2 million-a-year is a relatively small figure in Premier League terms, Chelsea need sponsorship deals to help them comply with profit and sustainability rules.

The club announced a £90.1 million pre-tax loss in the 12-month period up to June 30, 2023. The club insist they can operate within the Premier League’s PSR and Uefa’s Financial Fair Play, despite doubts among rivals, who believe they need to raise at least £100 million in player sales by June 30.

Other than losing the Oman Air sponsorship deal, Chelsea are searching for new sponsors for next season’s first-team shirts after starting this campaign without any.

Infinite Athlete, who took the front-of-shirt sponsorship until the end of the campaign last October, will become the sleeve sponsors for the training kits next season. BingX, who were announced as first-team sleeve sponsors in January, will be the club’s training kit sponsor from next season.

Other than losing the Oman Air sponsorship deal, Chelsea are searching for new sponsors for next season’s first-team shirts after starting this campaign without any.

Infinite Athlete, who took the front-of-shirt sponsorship until the end of the campaign last October, will become the sleeve sponsors for the training kits next season. BingX, who were announced as first-team sleeve sponsors in January, will be the club’s training kit sponsor from next season.