Chelsea 0 Southampton 1

JaneB

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Just want to raise a point that we all largely seem to be touching on and in agreement with, but nobody seems to have pushed further forward.

Potter is out of his depth and clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing it, but, what about those that hired him?! The owners are the people that thought it right to pay all the money to bring him in and are now sitting there watching these performances for our club and are just accepting them, because of what I can only presume is ego and not wanting to admit they messed up.

I am in no way saying ‘Boehly Out’, but eyes have to be looking firmly at the owners as well and seriously questioning what they are doing. It feels like they think a rebuild here is the same as in the US, but it really is not. Get too far off the pace and you have some serious work to do to build back up. Look at Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal and how long it’s taken/taking them to get back to the top.

We’re in the stage of laying the foundations of a major rebuild and it’s a lot of change on and off the pitch, but during that time you have to at least be seeing signs on the pitch that the foundations are working. We need to have a manager capable and with the experience to show these players what it takes to be the best and where they should be aiming for.

I think most fans were accepting that this would all take time and that this season wouldn’t be easy, but this is something else. No signs of improvement or even direction on the pitch. We’ve got to a point where actually the score line in matches is almost irrelevant because the performances are just so bad that a win wouldn’t paper over the cracks, the cracks are now gaping holes everywhere. But where are the owners of our club? They’re watching and letting it happen.

For the first time in a really long time or possibly ever, I haven’t even checked the other results or league table after our match as it’s all pointless at the moment.

We’ve had a few coaches at this club in recent years. Tuchel I think was widely accepted as a decent appointment and a few were unhappy at his sacking…however , many arrived with a big split in opinion ( Mourinho second time, Sarri, Lampard) but I don’t think I heard many desenting voices when potter was chosen. Even my Arsenal mates were grumpy that we had got him. 
Now you might say “ well what do we know?”. Well I would say, on this occasion probably more than our owner. Our collective knowledge of this league , English football, it’s players and its coaches is better than TBs. But I think he, like us , kinda like the idea of a young exciting ( if slightly inexperienced)  coach that would learn on the job and would become one of our own. Most of us said he should be given a season to settle in ; we didn’t caveat that with “unless things go a bit tits up”. In fact many of us said “ I hope TB doesn’t pull the trigger and sack him at the first bump in the road or crises”. I was one of those. So I find it very hard to now say “get rid”. TB saved us from possible extinction let’s not forget. 

Arteta was getting all this out of his depth stuff from Arsenal fans a short while back. His experience was less than potters as a head coach ( all be it that he had worked at City). 

Im not giving Potter a free pass; we have almost a full squad now and some very good new buys, and his very laid back style is slightly grating on me, but I’m going to be true to my preseason self and not shout for his instant dismissal. 

Ive seen the goal but not much else of the game, but I will take everyone’s word that it was not good. But things had shown much improvement lately, and while I realise I’m on my own, I’m hoping this is more of a skid on a slippery road to better things , rather than head on collision with a brick wall. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, johnnybozo said:

Wouldn't even be against bringing in Terry, Lamps and Cech as a management co-operative to bring a bit of that old CFC spine until the end of the season. Or just make Silva player-manager until a replacement is found. Not sure Pochettino is the right one. Guy has won nothing of note even with PSG's riches (Ligue 1 is a farmers' league and doesn't count). Simeone in the summer.

If Potter goes then Terry , Lamps and Czech isn’t a bad shout until end of season. 
I don’t think Simeone will take one foot out of a Spanish speaking league. He must of had offers. 

Wouldn't even be against bringing in Terry, Lamps and Cech as a management co-operative to bring a bit of that old CFC spine until the end of the season. Or just make Silva player-manager until a replacement is found. Not sure Pochettino is the right one. Guy has won nothing of note even with PSG's riches (Ligue 1 is a farmers' league and doesn't count). Simeone in the summer.

Pochettino would be infinitely better than Potter. Whatever anyone says about his final output, the guy is clearly an exceptional coach on the training pitch. He knows how he wants his teams to play, and he gets them playing that way.

Frankly, and depressingly, winning things can't really be on our immediate agenda. We need to stop the rot, and not just in results and performances but (possibly more importantly) mindset.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not sure that any of this is down to Kepa, tbh. Is he perfect? No. But blaming him (or his inadequacies) is clutching at straws, imo.

Ward prowse is top draw for free kicks, Kepa can not talke the blame for that. JWP has beaten the best over the years

We lack a CF, a captain and a defined style of play.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

We’ve had a few coaches at this club in recent years. Tuchel I think was widely accepted as a decent appointment and a few were unhappy at his sacking…however , many arrived with a big split in opinion ( Mourinho second time, Sarri, Lampard) but I don’t think I heard many desenting voices when potter was chosen. Even my Arsenal mates were grumpy that we had got him. 
Now you might say “ well what do we know?”. Well I would say, on this occasion probably more than our owner. Our collective knowledge of this league , English football, it’s players and its coaches is better than TBs. But I think he, like us , kinda like the idea of a young exciting ( if slightly inexperienced)  coach that would learn on the job and would become one of our own. Most of us said he should be given a season to settle in ; we didn’t caveat that with “unless things go a bit tits up”. In fact many of us said “ I hope TB doesn’t pull the trigger and sack him at the first bump in the road or crises”. I was one of those. So I find it very hard to now say “get rid”. TB saved us from possible extinction let’s not forget. 

Arteta was getting all this out of his depth stuff from Arsenal fans a short while back. His experience was less than potters as a head coach ( all be it that he had worked at City). 

Im not giving Potter a free pass; we have almost a full squad now and some very good new buys, and his very laid back style is slightly grating on me, but I’m going to be true to my preseason self and not shout for his instant dismissal. 

Ive seen the goal but not much else of the game, but I will take everyone’s word that it was not good. But things had shown much improvement lately, and while I realise I’m on my own, I’m hoping this is more of a skid on a slippery road to better things , rather than head on collision with a brick wall. 

Can't say I agree with people not wanting Potter to start with. People may not have been as vocal as before because we were/are in a different situation. However, most of the people I know and sit with at the bridge were of the opinion "I don't think he's going to work but, let's give him a chance" Unfortunately, it seems these reservations are coming to fruition. The cameras on him entering Cobham on day 1 just highlighted the awkwardness of him being there and being surrounded by our egotistic players 

53 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

Can't say I agree with people not wanting Potter to start with. People may not have been as vocal as before because we were/are in a different situation. However, most of the people I know and sit with at the bridge were of the opinion "I don't think he's going to work but, let's give him a chance" Unfortunately, it seems these reservations are coming to fruition. The cameras on him entering Cobham on day 1 just highlighted the awkwardness of him being there and being surrounded by our egotistic players 

Well it depends how you define “give him a chance”.  Is half a season a chance? 

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well it depends how you define “give him a chance”.  Is half a season a chance? 

We now have more points generated under Tuchel than we do under Potter.

If we can avoid relegation which is not a given, personally I'd rather we don't go up the table and qualify for one of those crappy third rate jamboree bag European competitions so we can get a manager in next year and have less on our plate. 

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We now have more points generated under Tuchel than we do under Potter.

If we can avoid relegation which is not a given, personally I'd rather we don't go up the table and qualify for one of those crappy third rate jamboree bag European competitions so we can get a manager in next year and have less on our plate. 

It’s an awkward moment. We don’t want the morale of the squad to be permanently damaged and we don’t want a knee jerk hiring of someone not suitable again. We will hover around mid table I expect and if we get a couple of decisions go our way and somehow loose the Jonah hanging around our neck , we may rise a bit in the table. But I’m pretty certain that TB is looking at all scenarios. The scenario of trusting Potter permanently with his expensive team is getting less likely though. Very very similar scenario to Lampards second season. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well I should say saveable free kicks. Lampard, TT, and Potter have not managed to make his legs and arms longer either, but to Potters credit ( if as you say it is part of his job) he has got Kepa performing far better than his predecessors. 

Sorry NB..knew what you meant hence the smiley face!

I don't think GP had anything to do with Kepa's better performance...natural rebound from a disastrous loss of form.

JT and SFL were able to overcome off field issues but not everyone is that strong willed and Kepa had his form affected by personal issues and of course the confidence spirals down and I consider that one of the foundations of good keepers,,and other positions of course.

Good EPL level keeper on his game but no PC, as if many are!

Ten Hag has made such a huge impact on United. It really is impressive. You could see it straight away during their preseason how he had set up the team differently and their style of play. It's not like he's had an easy time either with the Ronaldo thing, Rashford being out of form, the Maguire situation, Sancho being out of sorts... it helps having someone as consistent as Rashford bagging goals though. 

Yesterday, if Sterling bagged those 2 goals, the feeling today could have been so much more positive.

5 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Ten Hag has made such a huge impact on United. It really is impressive. You could see it straight away during their preseason how he had set up the team differently and their style of play. It's not like he's had an easy time either with the Ronaldo thing, Rashford being out of form, the Maguire situation, Sancho being out of sorts... it helps having someone as consistent as Rashford bagging goals though. 

Yesterday, if Sterling bagged those 2 goals, the feeling today could have been so much more positive.

Good post..Coach doing his job...as to other points... a non critical counter point..if Kepa had not made three crucial stops (not lauded) any theoretical goals from Sterling would have been irrelevant.

Three points yesterday would not have changed the way Chelsea played or the overall feelings from followers who do, despite media etc sneering, understand the game.

30 minutes ago, Ham said:

They look like they're boarding the 08:17 on a wet Monday morning on their way to a soul-destroying office job 🙁

I saw this yesterday I think it was actually uploaded by the club on Facebook. I was horrified then. Now I think it's where we are as a club . Nowhere. And it's on Potter more than Boehly. He's so effing dreary I'm surprised they didn't have to be carried onto the pitch on stretchers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Back when I played rugby the most effective coaches were those that convinced us they had some sort of Obi Wan Kenobi thing going on so that if we did as they said we'd win, and if we didn't he was always able to make us believe he knew the exact reason why. Part of that ability to convince was an air of having been better than us or at least having the medals to back it up. I'm guessing this is part of the issue for Graeme Potter. Firstly, in the modern day, you are dealing with a bunch of kids that have been conditioned from an early age to believe that they are the best of the best of the best and who is he to criticise them and, secondly, when things begin to go tits up and he can't magically produce a solution there is the element of the emperor's new clothes No medals, no idea. I don't know how he gets around that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry NB..knew what you meant hence the smiley face!

I don't think GP had anything to do with Kepa's better performance...natural rebound from a disastrous loss of form.

JT and SFL were able to overcome off field issues but not everyone is that strong willed and Kepa had his form affected by personal issues and of course the confidence spirals down and I consider that one of the foundations of good keepers,,and other positions of course.

Good EPL level keeper on his game but no PC, as if many are!

But I do think a keeper can make or break a coaches career. Kepas form was horrific during Lampards reign . Mendy arrived and things improved defensively . Then Mendy started falling apart, got injured and Kepa reclaimed his place. Neither are perfect tbh. Potter just has to pick the one who he thinks is more in form. It’s a bit Ray Clemence or Peter Shilton England scenario but with less talent involved!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Trini_Blue said:

Well interesting you mention Ten Hag because it wasn’t that long ago when United were suffering very bad form and United supporters all over the Red cafe were asking for his head. He was hotly tipped to be sacked by the then next international break . Results that spring to mind are conceding 4 to Brentford and 6 to City. Funny old game. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well interesting you mention Ten Hag because it wasn’t that long ago when United were suffering very bad form and United supporters all over the Red cafe were asking for his head. He was hotly tipped to be sacked by the then next international break . Results that spring to mind are conceding 4 to Brentford and 6 to City. Funny old game. 

Yeah I remember but Ten Hag had implemented his style of play from the start and managed to get wins along the way shortly after that lean spell.

As much as we wish things had been different for Potter the fact is that, legitimately, supporters are pointing to a lack of identity from our team and he's not getting results either. 

I'd love to support Potter and have faith in his ability to turn things around but those 2 supporter concerns can't be dismissed.

It's gutsy to sideline players like Auba and C Ron. You better get wins afterwards and Ten Hag has but Potter hasn't. 

Fwiw, I don't think we're that far away from winning. A consistent goal scorer (like Auba could have been) may have helped us get there a lot quicker.

Kepa had 2 decent saves yesterday off the Badiashile error and then in the second half one other Soton attempt, but otherwise we looked far more likely to score than they did in the second half. So, no, I don't think wins are far away.

• Agree 1