VAR - The Great Debate

Holymoly

Feelings on VAR  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about VAR?

• I like it, I think it has improved the game.
    • I’m not a fan, but appreciate why it’s in use.
    • I have no feelings either way.
    • I don’t like it, but I begrudgingly accept it is here to stay.
    • I hate it and think it needs to be scrapped.
    • I like the use of technology, but it’s those using it/in charge that are the problem.
    • What’s VAR?!
    • I liked the idea of VAR, but feel it is being used incorrectly/too often during matches.

Posted (edited)

We could call it the Star Chamber and give it similar roles to those it had under Good King Hal. The star chamber often prosecuted on the basis of things they thought should be unlawful whether technically lawful or not and got a reputation for being arbitrary just like PGMOL. 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Should we all be Wolves fans now, maybe. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/ck55eg44n1do

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think in all likelihood, Wolves never expected VAR to be scrapped, but they have acheived the real objective, which is increased debate and dialogue as to how it is used. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Well, let none of the managers of the clubs who voted in favour of keeping it - let out moans and groans about VAR decisions they don’t like. 

The clubs have put their hands onto the chopping block, don’t be moaning if you get a finger or two chopped-off now.

Posted (edited)

@east lower,,,I like your polite word usage..speaks well for you!,,,I would say a different "pair" on the chopping block 😁🪓

The issues with VAR are  less with the system than with how it is utilised..abused or manipulated if you wish...

Micro off side decisions and "blind eye" as the ref sees fit are part of the problem if not the bulk of the issues.

When us punters can see the obvious why can't the ref and the officials tasked with following the game come to sensible, just decisions..and if the ref is in any real doubt why the hesitation in using the available technology ?

Still..it's all been said before to no avail,as yet,

Edited by chara

VAR needs to be used properly like in international matches and in European Club competitions.  If they can get it right, why can't the EPL?  There's no point scrapping it either, when a controversial decision goes against a team, they'll start screaming for VAR to be brought back.  

Any apologist for VAR only needs to look at the game where Reece James gets a red card and see the problem with it is not the system but the bellend bias twats operating it. 

They looked at a "look first" deliberate elbow in the jaw and saw nothing and then looked at a petulant push out of a player who should have been protected by the moron referee when he was chopped at twice and saw "violent conduct" 

Wankers the lot of them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Any apologist for VAR only needs to look at the game where Reece James gets a red card and see the problem with it is not the system but the bellend bias twats operating it. 

They looked at a "look first" deliberate elbow in the jaw and saw nothing and then looked at a petulant push out of a player who should have been protected by the moron referee when he was chopped at twice and saw "violent conduct" 

Wankers the lot of them. 

😁Glad you tossed that in Mark!

• Haha 1

Hmm...just to illustrate some of the language difficulties for me over here as triggered by Mark's handy phrase.

Having been called at times THAT term in the UK for probably justifiable reasons, on more than one occasion I have been asked by a citizen here who was oblivious of the meaning of the word and meant as a clever pseudo Anglophile DickHd comment.."Are you a W***** ?".... my somewhat London phrased reply pointed out that where I came from that might get you into a lot of trouble!

1 minute ago, chara said:

Hmm...just to illustrate some of the language difficulties for me over here as triggered by Mark's handy phrase.

Having been called at times THAT term in the UK for probably justifiable reasons, on more than one occasion I have been asked by a citizen here who was oblivious of the meaning of the word and meant as a clever pseudo Anglophile DickHd comment.."Are you a W***** ?".... my somewhat London phrased reply pointed out that where I came from that might get you into a lot of trouble!

Years ago there was an American sit com on UK TV called "Mork and Mindy" starring Robin Williams. In one episode they had a customer in their music shop who was giving them grief and he was called "Mr Wanker". 

I was only a teenager and nearly died laughing 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Years ago there was an American sit com on UK TV called "Mork and Mindy" starring Robin Williams. In one episode they had a customer in their music shop who was giving them grief and he was called "Mr Wanker". 

Set in Boulder..exactly the place for such "misunderstanding"...my local version of  "Pretentious Wankery Habitat"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

There’s the Colin W***er anagram, for a relatively well know football manager - quite appropriate and apparently riled the chap up a fair bit when he was called Colin by fans.

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I used to love Mork and Mindy!

• Like 1