Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Yes, producing a lot good players which highlights just how much good work the academy was doing. 

Absolutely

2 hours ago, Bison said:

And if we're honest, a lot of the good players produced should have been given more opportunities at first team level but never were.

Maybe. Maybe not.

You can't give players opportunities if they up and leave. Fairly sure Lamptey and Livramento took one look at Reece James, and decided to move on. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Absolutely

Maybe. Maybe not.

You can't give players opportunities if they up and leave. Fairly sure Lamptey and Livramento took one look at Reece James, and decided to move on. 

We commented on it at the time from memory, Livremento leaves for more playing time and what  feels like five minutes later James is out for a season. 

Hindsight is a wonderful science. 

9 minutes ago, Bison said:

More jobs for the boys:

Joe Shields getting his mates in nice and early. The consolidation of power continues. 

Remember when we looked back years ago when we commented on  the groundwork City had put in before becoming what they are today? 

It looks to me that Clearlake are trying to go that route. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Remember when we looked back years ago when we commented on  the groundwork City had put in before becoming what they are today? 

Strange comment considering we already have a world class academy. We produce better players than they do in bigger numbers.

Clearlake came in wanting to be Brighton and now Man City it seems. Wonder what the next pivot will be. 

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Strange comment considering we already have a world class academy. We produce better players than they do in bigger numbers.

Clearlake came in wanting to be Brighton and now Man City it seems. Wonder what the next pivot will be. 

I meant in the sense of everyone singing from the same song sheet. 

One purpose, one vision. 

The only thing we are not sure of yet is what that vision is. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I meant in the sense of everyone singing from the same song sheet. 

One purpose, one vision. 

The only thing we are not sure of yet is what that vision is. 

The academy is the one part of the club that has actually had a vision to work towards. This may now change.

31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

The academy is the one part of the club that has actually had a vision to work towards. This may now change.

It could well do so, we all know that Neil Bath and his guys have done a stalwart job so the new guys will really have their job cut out for them.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I agree and as you say in a further post, whether the vision is right or not we don't yet know, but it definitely feels like they're trying to build from the ground up and have everyone in place and aligned.

It's jarring for us though as we were already a big and successful club, when Man City was doing it, they weren't, they were just rich, so it feels like (and really, it very much is) them ripping everything up to start again, but if they have a vision they want to reach, then that maybe be the correct thing to do in the long term.

We had the best academy but in recent years City and Arsenal have caught up and possibly passed us.  Even Spurs. 

We stopped winning the FA Youth cup and don't dominate in the PL2. 

City's joined up approach has been roundly praised on here by all and sundry.

By getting a few ex City players and coaches in we can incorporate the best of their process with the best of ours.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

We had the best academy but in recent years City and Arsenal have caught up and possibly passed us.  Even Spurs. 

We stopped winning the FA Youth cup and don't dominate in the PL2. 

City's joined up approach has been roundly praised on here by all and sundry.

By getting a few ex City players and coaches in we can incorporate the best of their process with the best of ours.

You can't rate the strength of an academy based on FAYC and PL2 results - especially given that City were bottom of PL2 for most the season. The academy tries to develop players that are suitable for the first team squad, or if not, ones that will generate a profit when sold. On this basis, we remain the most successful academy in England in the last five years.

• Agree 1

I may be wrong but maybe there is a bit of blinkered thinking about the Academy.

At the level of competition the youngster play they have been successful over the years..credit where due,,,and produced a steady stream of good level footballers able to earn a living across the game but very few that have hit the heights at top level.

We are familiar with many Chelsea graduates let go and playing elsewhere but I doubt that Citeh Arse etc fans are as aware of the Chelsea history of players I would say probably as unaware as we as Chelsea fans are of youth prospects from other clubs and their later careers.

Not knocking the Chelsea Academy..far from it but as long as it..and others...are looked on as part of an "apprenticeship" system and any rare JT type graduate taken as a bonus things are a bit clearer and make sense,

• Like 2

13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

And what have they won?

Same as the 

Chelsea under RA

Manure under SAF

dippers under the boot room

RM continually 

Barca under tiki-taka

Bayern 10 on the trot etc  

all of the above were unique were evolutions in the football game, none of them were copies 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Same as the 

Chelsea under RA

Manure under SAF

dippers under the boot room

RM continually 

Barca under tiki-taka

Bayern 10 on the trot etc  

all of the above were unique were evolutions in the football game, none of them were copies 

Chelsea had more money. 

Liverpool had more money. 

Real Madrid are the most attractive club in earth and naturally attracted the best players whilst still having outspend everyone else in Spain. 

Bayern has more money and simple buys the best players from any German team that challenges. 

Barca is the one exception. La Masia was exceptional

What was your point? Why shouldn't we follow the super-slick City model in terms of set-up? 

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

Chelsea had more money. 

Liverpool had more money. 

Real Madrid are the most attractive club in earth and naturally attracted the best players whilst still having outspend everyone else in Spain. 

Bayern has more money and simple buys the best players from any German team that challenges. 

Barca is the one exception. La Masia was exceptional

What was your point? Why shouldn't we follow the super-slick City model in terms of set-up? 

It not worth debating if you believe copying from another is the way to succeed.

That ethos never worked at school and rarely works in business 

Barce also has a lot of money. Most TV revenues in Spain used to be split between the top two. RM got a load of government grants because it was perceived as representing Spain. Barce got regional Catalan government cash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It not worth debating if you believe copying from another is the way to succeed.

That ethos never worked at school and rarely works in business 

Ok so specifically what would you do to reinvent football?

45 minutes ago, Ham said:

Ok so specifically what would you do to reinvent football?

Unfortunately i am not qualified to give an opinion on reinventing football that’s down to organisations like FA, UEFA etc.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Unfortunately i am not qualified to give an opinion on reinventing football that’s down to organisations like FA, UEFA etc.

Shocker

You know very well that I meant reinventing ways to play the game, after all, that was your point about copying City. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ham said:

Shocker

You know very well that I meant reinventing ways to play the game, after all, that was your point about copying City. 

As i said, copying from you mates school book doesn’t work and eventually found out by the teacher. Same applies with business the original is always the most successful. 

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Chelsea academy model and as other have said it made money and gave an awful lot of players paths into football industry as players and coaches.

I dont want go down creamcakes path, but it would seem from top to bottom they want to remove anything associated with the previous regime, even ex-players on the academy coaching staff have gone. I sure we can look forward to the new sterile academy with the only goal to make money for the club, because the pathway to the first team will be cluttered with highly expensive imported South American teenagers.

Maybe the likes of Colwill and Gillcrest are the last of the Chelsea academy graduates to make it all the way from kids to first team

I’m done time to move on

Edited by ROTG
Time for a cold Keo

Sounds like we lost a big academy talent yesterday who has deceided to join Liverpool. I'm sure the club would have offered the same amount of money so clearly he's leaving for football reasons. First of many I presume.

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

Sounds like we lost a big academy talent yesterday who has deceided to join Liverpool. I'm sure the club would have offered the same amount of money so clearly he's leaving for football reasons. First of many I presume.

He turned down his new contract  so I don't suppose the evil empire had much alternative. 

Damn them ! Damn them to Hell !