Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Don’t disagree on you idea, however would suggest that your idea os Strasberg is probably more for African continent players where there French is one of the more commonly spoken languages. 
Portugal / Spain is more likely the destination for players from South America, therefore I guess it’s only a matter of time before clearlake buys a Portugueses club. 

Not really, Ligue 1 has always held pretty strong South American presence, more specifically with Brazilian players. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Not really, Ligue 1 has always held pretty strong South American presence, more specifically with Brazilian players. 

Must be a lot of Portuguese people living there. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Must be a lot of Portuguese people living there. 

Yes there are. Just as the UK 'welcomed' east Europeans to pick fruit & veg on farms, so France has a long history of 'welcoming' Portuguese nationals - often employed as couples - to provide housekeeping and gardening services.

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of plaudits going to Boehly and Co recently when it was not that long ago we were slating them.

So we are getting rid of the deadwood thankfully.Has this anything to with our owners? or is it pure luck that the Arabs are getting more involved in football.

I read a lot of the 'grey horse syndrome ' and how shrewd they are buying all the young talent in the game.

The reality is if Poch can't make a good fist of things where do we go from here?.

Edited by kev61

19 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The reality is if Poch can't make a good fist of things where do we go from here?.

Probably the same as all successful club, when owners has an epiphany, takes the club years to recover and some do not. 

Examples

Dippers when they brought souness in to reinvent the wheel. Took them another 30 years to win the league. 

The Arse nothing since wenger tried to be clever with a team of kid  and still nowhere near. 

ManUre post Sir Alex. -  10 years  god knows how many managers and money spent, nowhere near. 

10 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yes there are. Just as the UK 'welcomed' east Europeans to pick fruit & veg on farms, so France has a long history of 'welcoming' Portuguese nationals - often employed as couples - to provide housekeeping and gardening services.

Just an update Bob.There are more people flocking to Portugal than leaving.

You might want to tell people that.....with no prejudice intended.

8 hours ago, ROTG said:

Damm,

I thought went to Portugal for egg custard tarts “pasties de Nata”, Port, Mateus rose wine, Sun and golf courses. 

I go to Portugal because of the beaches, the weather,cheap wine and the people with a sunny disposition.

13 hours ago, ROTG said:

Damm,

I thought people went to Portugal for egg custard tarts “pasties de Nata”, Port, Mateus rose wine, Sun and golf courses. 

Edited by ROTG
Time for a visit to specsavers

On 24/06/2023 at 02:49, kev61 said:

There seems to be a lot of plaudits going to Boehly and Co recently when it was not that long ago we were slating them.

So we are getting rid of the deadwood thankfully.Has this anything to with our owners? or is it pure luck that the Arabs are getting more involved in football.

I read a lot of the 'grey horse syndrome ' and how shrewd they are buying all the young talent in the game.

I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of Boehly and Co, I think the money already spent, being spent, and looking to be spent, is being done without any footballing thought behind it; they aren't seeing the type of abilities a player will bring to the team but rather some long thoughtout financial item who they can buy cheaper over an extended period due to their age. It's very "get life insurance in your 20's and you'll pay less than if you get it in your 40's". Experience is being overlooked in the name of long contracts and spreadout payments.

I think the Arabs have seen an opportunity after buying one player off us and our willingness to push through the deal, that they all got in on it to build their Country's football portfolio. Fair play to them.

Normally when buying young talent we would loan them out and see if they prove themselves elsewhere first, it now looks like we'll become the feeder club; buy and sell to Man City (Kova), Man Utd (MM), Arsenal (Kai). 3 crazy sales, simply crazy. 

It's difficult to see the motive behind it all, did we need to get rid of players? Yes, did we need to get rid of the ones we got rid of? No. Almost feels like Boehly blamed the players for his project guy GP failing, and the punishement is you're out the club; or are the players running away from crazy ownership? I think it's both. Senior players will always call out bad management, young players who need the manager for them to be career successful won't, perfect type of players for a new manager who isn't good enough himself to work with.

In the past we've got rid of managers, and the players have turned things around the following season, sometimes in the same season, if Lamps won the CL would the same players be leaving this summer? I don't think they would. Now it seems like we'll move the players on too which actually puts us in a weird positon. We have an unproven manager, and unproven set of players, if the season isn't successful then who do we move on? With Boehly I wouldn't be surprised if both.

I think Boehly and co have made plenty of mistakes but showing the players deliver or don't expect to be here isn't one of them. 

We have no Idea what Todd is cooking up as there were rumours that they were going to ship out the dead wood first before buying up some new players. 

I expect we'll need some midfielders (Caicedo obvs) and a striker (Jackson) but I think they're could be more  coming. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I expect we'll need some midfielders (Caicedo obvs) and a striker (Jackson) but I think they're could be more  coming. 

I definitely think we've got a few ideas in the works once the outgoings are settled. If nothing else I am intrigued by what's possibly to come. 

45 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I definitely think we've got a few ideas in the works once the outgoings are settled. If nothing else I am intrigued by what's possibly to come. 

Players who are going to sign 6-8 year contract and accept less than £100k per week. `'limits the options don't you think?"

6 hours ago, ROTG said:

Players who are going to sign 6-8 year contract and accept less than £100k per week. `'limits the options don't you think?"

As of 1st July 2023 (that's tomorrow), while contracts can be any length a club and player want them to be, from a PL FFP point of view, they can only be amortized to a maximum of five years (thus rendering longer contracts rather pointless).

Any player signing for Chelsea after midnight tonight is most likely to be on a 5 year contract. No idea if that will impact on the wages/bonuses being offered, but I would guess very little to no impact.

Personally, as a fan, I'd rather the club signed "hungry" players that are OK with lower wages but bigger bonuses than players happy to take big wages and do little in return for them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Any player signing for Chelsea after midnight tonight is most likely to be on a 5 year contract. No idea if that will impact on the wages/bonuses being offered, but I would guess very little to no impact.

Reports are Jackson's deal will be 8 years. Could be a load of rubbish, but I don't have the same confidence you do on this. Especially given the contracts given to Chalobah and James. This lot clearly just really like long deals.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Reports are Jackson's deal will be 8 years. Could be a load of rubbish, but I don't have the same confidence you do on this. Especially given the contracts given to Chalobah and James. This lot clearly just really like long deals.

See my post at the bottom of page 153 of the Transfer Talk thread

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

It's 20 years ago today since Roman Abramovich bought the club. 

I'll never forget. Back then there was no twitter. No forums. 

I found out from Ceefax after my then girlfriend shouted out to me "Some Russian bloke has bought Chelsea". 

I was worried for about ten minutes until I then read about his intentions for the club. 

It'll be a crime if the great man doesn't get a statue at least outside this or the new ground. 

Thank you Roman, you beautiful man. 💙🤜💥

I think I found out on the news on TV had no idea of what was happening but kudos to the man he as we are finding out was a hard act to follow .

1 hour ago, Ham said:

It's 20 years ago today since Roman Abramovich bought the club. 

I'll never forget. Back then there was no twitter. No forums.

Funnily enough CFCnet was around then. I  joined on my first account shortly after, aged 14 or 15 I think. There was a lot of activity particularly after it happened. I recall anxiety but a lot of excitement and relief.

Will always be grateful for what he did, and sad about how it ended.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Funnily enough CFCnet was around then. I  joined on my first account shortly after, aged 14 or 15 I think. There was a lot of activity particularly after it happened. I recall anxiety but a lot of excitement and relief.

Will always be grateful for what he did, and sad about how it ended.

Ah interesting.  I didn't find cfcnet until 2008 when I was desperately trying to plan my trip to Moscow.  

Edit: looking back, the clues were there 🙄

Screenshot_20230701_100245_Chrome.jpg.063bc4b9ca634aaf48496565224f96f3.jpg

Edited by Ham

I joined around the time of the takeover. I mainly remember the anxiety and also that no one knew all that much about him. I had used textual conferencing and Internet News in the 90s, but CFCNet was my first messageboard around 2003.