Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

14 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

From the players we’ve signed, for the fees we’ve paid, to the length of the contracts. We are stuck with a lot of the players we’ve bought and we aren’t talking a few seasons. We’re talking the better part of a decade. 

This. And everyone here should have a good think about what this means. Sure, we can't do anything to change where we are now, but that's not the point, is it? 

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This. And everyone here should have a good think about what this means. Sure, we can't do anything to change where we are now, but that's not the point, is it? 

All we can do is hope for better days and that at least a few come good. Enzo, Badashile and Madueke come to mind. 

The big worry for me is if we stay up, have a poor start next season and are out of it by October again…then what?

Hey ho. As I say - let’s hope for better days.

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If they take a step back and let football people run the club, who the ownership are is effectively meaningless for club/football decisions.

They have taken a step back from when initially arriving and being able to hire the football people needed, such as Boehly parting from his interim sporting director role once we brought in Vivell and Winstanley. These are the ones responsible for the January window and whatever happens moving forward. While I'm sure ownership are still going to have some say in certain matters, that's the same at virtually every club. No owner is going to be completely hands free - Roman certainly wasn't either. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

From the players we’ve signed, for the fees we’ve paid, to the length of the contracts. We are stuck with a lot of the players we’ve bought and we aren’t talking a few seasons. We’re talking the better part of a decade. 

We've got 16 players tied down to contracts from 2026 and onwards in the current first team squad, 11 of those are new signings under current ownership. Only 2 of those signings are over the age of 25,  8 of which are 22 or younger. The remaining 5 on deals beyond 2026 are players who've been here since Roman's tenure and have since signed extensions from their previous contracts - Chilwell, RJ, Chalobah, Bettinelli and Broja. 

New ownership have obviously invested heavily in young players, which we all knew was the original plan, the only exceptions have been Koulibaly and Sterling. We can argue about the fees paid, the lengths of certain contracts, and wages, but outside of Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucurella (all summer signings during a chaotic period), the rest are all largely on cost controlled wages that fit the new structure being put in place (low base salaries with incentives). So even if they don't pan out over the next handful of years we're not going to find ourselves in the sort of situation we often found ourselves in under Roman's tenure, of duds with massive contracts we'll have to subsidise to move on from like with Veron, Crespo (although not a dud), Torres, Morata, Lukaku etc.

As I've pointed out already in couple of other posts we've also got 16 players in the current first team squad that have deals that'll expire by 2025 - 13 once you exclude Zakaria and Joao Felix's loans, and Lewis Hall. The vast majority of those that fall into this bracket are the ones who many also want to see the back of due to their years of inconsistency or lack of ability. So in the next two year we could virtually see an entire starting eleven worth of players depart, all of which arrived on the back of Roman's P's. 

Everyones entitled to their opinion about our new ownership, and I'm personally still largely on the fence, but I can't help but get the sense there's a large degree of fear mongering taking place courtesy of what has been a frustrating season. And at the end of the day that's all Boehly and co have been here for, a season. Roman wasn't built in day etc etc. 

Edited by xceleryx
Formatting
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I guess it means there is no point signing a stack of young players, and in the case of those who joined in January, judging them after 2 or 3 months, and a handful of starts. In some cases, these players haven't even pulled on a Blue shirt yet.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

We can argue about the fees paid, the lengths of certain contracts, and wages, but outside of Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucurella (all summer signings during a chaotic period), the rest are all largely on cost controlled wages that fit the new structure being put in place (low base salaries with incentives). So even if they don't pan out over the next handful of years we're not going to find ourselves in the sort of situation we often found ourselves in under Roman's tenure, of duds with massive contracts we'll have to subsidise to move on from like with Veron, Crespo (although not a dud), Torres, Morata, Lukaku etc.

The biggest difference between then and now is that the club could afford to off set a doggy signing because the was at the top of the tree winning trophies and leagues, which intern brought in the additional revenue of prise money, additional TV revenue, commercial sales and not forgetting huge sponsor ship deals.

I believe the 3 deal is about to end, and it going to be interesting what kind of sponsorship is around for a mid table team?

42 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I believe the 3 deal is about to end, and it going to be interesting what kind of sponsorship is around for a mid table team?

League position for one season, is one thing. The more pertinent part is the global fanbase we have accumulated over the last 20 years. 

I think people underestimate the following we have in places like the USA, Asia, Africa and Australia.

There will be stacks of big name brands willing to pay to have their name across our shirts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

League position for one season, is one thing. The more pertinent part is the global fanbase we have accumulated over the last 20 years. 

I think people underestimate the following we have in places like the USA, Asia, Africa and Australia.

There will be stacks of big name brands willing to pay to have their name across our shirts. 

Hope so , I hate Three with a vengeance , looks ludicrous on the shirts. 

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

We always can though - people said this about Potter too.

The Chelsea fans got Potter out - noone else.

We can get Boehly and co. out if needed too.

I don't think it's come to that just yet though.

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Well, that and the awful results and performances

Ask the United fans how well they are doing in getting rid of the Glazers.

This consortium bought Chelsea with a min 10 year investment guarantee. They are going nowhere, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. 

• Agree 1

This is not happening , they had to commit to not selling the club for ten years so there's another nine to go .

Anyway , it's been a pitiful year but they may well turn things around with the right coach and a decent forward and holding midfielder coupled to a clear out of the surplus.

• Agree 1

I don't but this 10 year ownership is in stone. I think under special circumstances it might be negotiated yet that will depend on circumstances.

I think this summer will be key  for their ownership, I don't think they have much room to get more things wrong re FFP restrictions.

50 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Firstly, Chelsea fans did NOT force Boehly & Co to sack Potter.

Secondly, Boehly & Co. signed a contract of sale in which a covenant was included by our previous owner precluding the new owners from selling the club for 10 years. However much you hate them, however much you think supporters may 'rise up against them', Boehly & Co are legally bound to be our owners for another 9+ years!  Get used to them.

This is one of those times where I wish we still had the old forum. Not that I was apart of it at the time of Roman taking over, but it would make for some interesting refection to see the opinions and discussion that took place for comparison. 

• Agree 1

I joined the forum a couple of months after RA took over, and there was a lot of uncertainty about whether it was a good thing or not, but I would say most got on board with the program over time. It's a bit similar to the views about Bates, which are still, I think, very mixed. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Let's see if it record breaking like the 3 deal was.

Maybe TB will negotiate along term deal based on performance, a bit like the January signings  

43 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Firstly, Chelsea fans did NOT force Boehly & Co to sack Potter.

Secondly, Boehly & Co. signed a contract of sale in which a covenant was included by our previous owner precluding the new owners from selling the club for 10 years. However much you hate them, however much you think supporters may 'rise up against them', Boehly & Co are legally bound to be our owners for another 9+ years!  Get used to them.

This is an article of faith for Max. Potter was sacked because we were sh*te and the owners weren't quite as pigheaded as some (myself very much included) thought they might be about him. The idea there was some large scale revolt or that even a small one would matter much is fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its been a disastrous first year, no doubt about it but the investment has been absolutely huge, the purchase of the club and then the spending on players and managers is something that has never been seen before on such a large scale.

They would have to be utterly clueless to not learn from their mistakes and keep getting it wrong and I don't think they are.

We have a football board now, which we didn't  at the beginning , we have assembled a squad which although is still unbalanced and needs a couple of additions has an awful lot of potential. It won't be difficult to trim ot down, we will just be taking a big hit on some players but the way FFP works it won't be a problem. I think after the clear out we will actually be better off in terms of the squads yearly book value compared to when they took over.

The problem is still Graham Potter and the damage he did. His coaching was completely inept and he ruined literally every single player. The upside of this is that we have seen in the past how quickly a proper manager can turn things round. The similarities between what Potter left and Frank, first time round are there for all to see. We had players playing the worst football of their career only to turn it round, almost instantly with a proper manager and proper coaching. 

All this being said as bad as their first season has been I am still extremely confident that, with a new manager, we will be back in the top four next season.  And here's why.

Firstly we have two of the best full backs in the world.

We have the best set of centre halfs anywhere. Wesley Fofana is outstanding, he's going to be special and Badiashille looks very promising,  with the experience of Silva this year and next the pair of them will become one hell of a partnership. Then there is Koulibaly, Chalobah and Colwill who add depth or generate income.

Enzo is absolute class and just needs someone to be bought in to play alongside him and we have a ridiculous midfield with Kante and Mount too. I also really like Gallagher, think he is a far more useful player than many give him credit for. Not great on the ball but he's a menace and a constant danger to the opposition.  I think he will get better and wouldn't even contemplate selling him. Yet.

Mudryk is going to be an absolutely superstar, I have no doubt about that.

Sterling, rightly or wrongly will  be a different player under a different set up and expect him to get back to his usual level where he's always been and thats one of the best wingers in the league, in terms of output.

Nkuknku, if he comes is different level to any attacking player we have.

Then you look at our depth of talent and it is outrageous. 

I think we will  go big on a top quality striker, someone like Osimhen. 

I also belive we will sign a top quality CM to partner Enzo, Caicedo is my guess.

I do not believe for one second that with the investment already made they will not finish off the rebuild with the right couple of players. 

I see us next year lining up like this.

Kepa

James Fofana Silva Chilwell

Enzo Caicedo 

Sterling Nkunku Mudryk 

Osimhen

The bench is ridiculous the players not making the match day squad quite frightening and I don't see any of the other teams who are currently fighting it out for 4th getting anywhere near us.

Too many people over the last few years keep blaming the players and it has been proved that they are not the problem. They weren't under Frank and they aren't now. Sure some aren't good enough and need to be moved on but we 100% have the squad, with a couple of additions to walk back into the top 4 next season. No one is going to convince me that Brighton, Newcastle, Tottenham or United have a better squad than us. 

I am that confident my assessment that I will wager £100, with the money going to the running of this forum as I'm sure we will all agree that we all need to help to keep it going, that we will finish till 4 next season with anyone that wants to take me up on it. I'm  not a betting man at all but this would be for a good cause.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Its been a disastrous first year, no doubt about it but the investment has been absolutely huge, the purchase of the club and then the spending on players and managers is something that has never been seen before on such a large scale.

They would have to be utterly clueless to not learn from their mistakes and keep getting it wrong and I don't think they are.

We have a football board now, which we didn't  at the beginning , we have assembled a squad which although is still unbalanced and needs a couple of additions has an awful lot of potential. It won't be difficult to trim ot down, we will just be taking a big hit on some players but the way FFP works it won't be a problem. I think after the clear out we will actually be better off in terms of the squads yearly book value compared to when they took over.

The problem is still Graham Potter and the damage he did. His coaching was completely inept and he ruined literally every single player. The upside of this is that we have seen in the past how quickly a proper manager can turn things round. The similarities between what Potter left and Frank, first time round are there for all to see. We had players playing the worst football of their career only to turn it round, almost instantly with a proper manager and proper coaching. 

All this being said as bad as their first season has been I am still extremely confident that, with a new manager, we will be back in the top four next season.  And here's why.

Firstly we have two of the best full backs in the world.

We have the best set of centre halfs anywhere. Wesley Fofana is outstanding, he's going to be special and Badiashille looks very promising,  with the experience of Silva this year and next the pair of them will become one hell of a partnership. Then there is Koulibaly, Chalobah and Colwill who add depth or generate income.

Enzo is absolute class and just needs someone to be bought in to play alongside him and we have a ridiculous midfield with Kante and Mount too. I also really like Gallagher, think he is a far more useful player than many give him credit for. Not great on the ball but he's a menace and a constant danger to the opposition.  I think he will get better and wouldn't even contemplate selling him. Yet.

Mudryk is going to be an absolutely superstar, I have no doubt about that.

Sterling, rightly or wrongly will  be a different player under a different set up and expect him to get back to his usual level where he's always been and thats one of the best wingers in the league, in terms of output.

Nkuknku, if he comes is different level to any attacking player we have.

Then you look at our depth of talent and it is outrageous. 

I think we will  go big on a top quality striker, someone like Osimhen. 

I also belive we will sign a top quality CM to partner Enzo, Caicedo is my guess.

I do not believe for one second that with the investment already made they will not finish off the rebuild with the right couple of players. 

I see us next year lining up like this.

Kepa

James Fofana Silva Chilwell

Enzo Caicedo 

Sterling Nkunku Mydruk

Osimhen

The bench is ridiculous the players not making the match day squad quite frightening and I don't see any of the other teams who are currently fighting it out for 4th getting anywhere near us.

Too many people over the last few years keep blaming the players and it has been proved that they are not the problem. They weren't under Frank and they aren't now. Sure some aren't good enough and need to be moved on but we 100% have the squad, with a couple of additions to walk back into the top 4 next season. No one is going to convinces me that Brighton, Newcastle, Tottenham or United have a better squad than us. 

I am that confident my assessment that I will wager £100, with the money going to the running of this forum as I'm sure we will all agree that we all need to help to keep it going, that we will finish till 4 next season with anyone that wants to take me up on it. I'm  not a betting man at all but this would be for a good cause.

I pretty much concur with this 100%

Martin for PM!

I don't think I agree 100% with @martin1905, but I do in general. The idea that every single player needs to be booted out, that they are all useless, that we're on the brink, is far too reactionary. I think that is completely congruent with saying these owners have had a complete disaster, that we will sink into more trouble if they maintain a "hands-on" role, and that we are in a precarious position. We really do need to qualify for the CL for 2024/2025, two years out of it would make for a very, very difficult position to recover from financially. 

There are the raw materials for recovery next season. I'm not convinced we'll make proper use of them, but they are there. A competent coach allowed to do their job, trimming the squad down to 22-25 players, and bringing in quality in 2 or 3 positions (in that order of priority imo) is what is needed, and it is doable. It's also, if this year is anything to go by, very f*ck-uppable.

Edited by thevelourfog

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

So much depends on who the next manager is and who we bring in and move out etc.

If we don't move certain players on then I'll take your bet. If we go next season with Sterling, Lukaku, Auba and Felix  up front and a Kovacic Kante & Enzo midfield, then I'll happily double the bet on us not getting top four.

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

They have taken a step back from when initially arriving and being able to hire the football people needed, such as Boehly parting from his interim sporting director role once we brought in Vivell and Winstanley. These are the ones responsible for the January window and whatever happens moving forward. While I'm sure ownership are still going to have some say in certain matters, that's the same at virtually every club. No owner is going to be completely hands free - Roman certainly wasn't either. 

We've got 16 players tied down to contracts from 2026 and onwards in the current first team squad, 11 of those are new signings under current ownership. Only 2 of those signings are over the age of 25,  8 of which are 22 or younger. The remaining 5 on deals beyond 2026 are players who've been here since Roman's tenure and have since signed extensions from their previous contracts - Chilwell, RJ, Chalobah, Bettinelli and Broja. 

New ownership have obviously invested heavily in young players, which we all knew was the original plan, the only exceptions have been Koulibaly and Sterling. We can argue about the fees paid, the lengths of certain contracts, and wages, but outside of Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucurella (all summer signings during a chaotic period), the rest are all largely on cost controlled wages that fit the new structure being put in place (low base salaries with incentives). So even if they don't pan out over the next handful of years we're not going to find ourselves in the sort of situation we often found ourselves in under Roman's tenure, of duds with massive contracts we'll have to subsidise to move on from like with Veron, Crespo (although not a dud), Torres, Morata, Lukaku etc.

As I've pointed out already in couple of other posts we've also got 16 players in the current first team squad that have deals that'll expire by 2025 - 13 once you exclude Zakaria and Joao Felix's loans, and Lewis Hall. The vast majority of those that fall into this bracket are the ones who many also want to see the back of due to their years of inconsistency or lack of ability. So in the next two year we could virtually see an entire starting eleven worth of players depart, all of which arrived on the back of Roman's P's. 

Everyones entitled to their opinion about our new ownership, and I'm personally still largely on the fence, but I can't help but get the sense there's a large degree of fear mongering taking place courtesy of what has been a frustrating season. And at the end of the day that's all Boehly and co have been here for, a season. Roman wasn't built in day etc etc. 

You've posted similar things in a few places now and I like what you're saying and I agree, however, the one 'issue' with all this is that it is going to require quite a bit of patience from the fans before we start seeing the new owners vision come to fruition. This is why the next managerial appointment is so important and clearly why they are taking so long. I think we all know what they were hoping Potter would be, but he was absolutely not at the standard they thought he was... can Nagelsmann be that man? Maybe. Hopefully. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Do people think that Boehly and co. were just ignoring the atmosphere at the ground and online?
It was shockingly negative against Potter.

It wasn't (just!) results that killed him. It was the fact that the fans turned and made it impossible for him or the team to function.

Can't see why that is so controversial!!!

• Agree 1