Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

26 minutes ago, MickyDroy said:

"We thought Chelsea [was] frankly an asset, a business that was not terribly well managed on the football side, sporting side or promotional side"

As if Eghbali had the sheer guts to say this two years ago 🤣

Every single major appointment since he's made the comment has been a massive failure:

Damian Willoughby - Director
Tom Glick - Director
Potter - Manager
Vivell - Sporting director
Gilbert Enoka - Who knows what the hell he was
Lampard - Interim Manager
Goldstein & Smith - In charge of Stadium Redevelopment - Gone

Pochettino - Manager
Jurasek - Director

Soon enough you we'll add Maresca to this list as we continue to slip further and further away from the top teams.

And these are the failure appointments which were made and have ceased - this doesn't detail those failures who are still in their roles. We all know who they are.

• Like 1

I think some things are improving even if not everything.

We seem to have two players for the wide positions and it looks good that we are seeing progress this season with Madueke.

We also have a number of options for the 10 role in Palmer, Felix, or Nkunku.

Striker we are under cooked neither Jackson or Guiu so far look the real deal.

Midfileld looks light as Enzo seems the only one not to be injury prone

It looks like our cover for wide backs will be Colwill and Disassi.

Our CBs are a work in progress and like Madueke I hope some improve. 

Like many others, I thought the owners strongest points would be in the commercial side of the club. Their failure on that front is down to one of two things - they are simply incompetent,  or, due to our old ties to Putin and the invasion of Ukraine, Chelsea FC is a more damaged brand than we care to admit??

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Like many others, I thought the owners strongest points would be in the commercial side of the club. Their failure on that front is down to one of two things - they are simply incompetent,  or, due to our old ties to Putin and the invasion of Ukraine, Chelsea FC is a more damaged brand than we care to admit??

For me, the commercials have a direct correlation to what happens on the pitch.  i.e. demanding £50m a season for a FOS sponsor is all well and good, but with no Champions League football you're never going to get it. 

Which is why I can never fathom why the majority of our signings are for 'tomorrow' rather than 'today' and the money spent on the likes of Kellyman, Anselmino, Wiley, Penders, Washington etc remains probably my biggest criticism of the model, because I would rather concentrate that money on improving the first team. 

Where I do think they have done a decent job to be fair though is player sales.  Not every sale before someone chucks an example my way, but on the whole, 277m euro's last season including good deals for Havertz, Koulibaly, Pulisic etc and then another 198m euro's this season including Lukaku, Hutchinson, Angelo, Maatsen etc.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob B said:

For me, the commercials have a direct correlation to what happens on the pitch.  i.e. demanding £50m a season for a FOS sponsor is all well and good, but with no Champions League football you're never going to get it. 

Which is why I can never fathom why the majority of our signings are for 'tomorrow' rather than 'today' and the money spent on the likes of Kellyman, Anselmino, Wiley, Penders, Washington etc remains probably my biggest criticism of the model, because I would rather concentrate that money on improving the first team. 

Where I do think they have done a decent job to be fair though is player sales.  Not every sale before someone chucks an example my way, but on the whole, 277m euro's last season including good deals for Havertz, Koulibaly, Pulisic etc and then another 198m euro's this season including Lukaku, Hutchinson, Angelo, Maatsen etc.   

Totally agree 100% with the first two paragraphs but on the third - we were always quite good at selling even before the new owners

Million % Todd.

Background in sports and wants to win…

The more I think about it, the more I think that might actually be a really good outcome.

Clearlake’s CEO guy has just left too..,

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Any one help me here?..Can't get the discussion/article.

From the Bloomberg article:

Chelsea FC’s main shareholders are exploring their ownership of the English Premier League football club after little more than two years in charge, amid a deterioration in relations, people familiar with the matter said.

California-based private equity firm Clearlake Capital — Chelsea’s majority owner — and US businessman Todd Boehlyare assessing whether they can potentially buy each other out, according to the people. 

The relationship between Clearlake co-founder Behdad Eghbali and Boehly, who together led a hard-fought takeover of Chelsea in 2022, has deteriorated in recent months, according to the people, as a period of heavy spending at the club has failed to bring success on the field.

Differing opinions on Chelsea’s recruitment policy, the team’s underperformance and the failure to make progress on building a new stadium, have all contributed to the rift, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential information.

Clearlake owns more than 60% of Chelsea, with Boehly holding the rest alongside US businessman Mark Walter and Swiss billionaire Hansjörg Wyss. Bloomberg News reported last year that Boehly was dialing back his involvement at Chelsea after a difficult first season in charge.

Both Clearlake and Boehly remain committed to the club and running it in a professional manner, the people said. Boehly and a representative for Clearlake and Eghbali declined to comment. A spokesperson for Chelsea didn’t provide comment.

The Clearlake, Boehly-led consortium acquired Chelsea from Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich in a £4.25 billion ($5.6 billion) deal. In the roughly two decades under Abramovich’s ownership, the club had risen to become one of the most successful teams in English football, winning multiple domestic honors, as well as trophies in elite European competitions.

While the new owners have spent more than £1 billion on acquiring players since taking over, Chelsea’s success has faded. The club has sought to balance its books and comply with Financial Fair Play regulations by offloading homegrown players, including fan-favorites like Conor Gallagher, and the sale of hotels close to its Stamford Bridge stadium in west London. In some cases, players, such as Brazilian winger Angelo Gabriel, have been bought and sold before playing a competitive game for Chelsea.

Boehly recently told Bloomberg News that Chelsea’s owners were “laying a long-term foundation, establishing a great leadership team and responding to the environment.”

• Thanks 2

Because of this apparent covenant that we can’t sell the club for 10 years, I never really considered the ownership changing anytime soon, but it appears I was neglecting the idea of a shareholder buyout.  In fairness to DWMH, he called this well early on and I thought he was just being provocative.  

Given the source, some sort of breakdown of relationship feels probable, which even if the rumours of a buyout are wide of the mark, doesn’t bode well for us moving forward, despite however ‘professional’  it might be. 

My guess right now is that this will be the sort of thing that either  A) Doesn’t go anywhere as neither party wants to ‘lose’ or B) Rumbles on forever on protracted negotiations / exploration whilst the minority shareholders drum up some new backers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bones said:

Reports are that Clearlake dont want and wont sell

They’d sell, I’d be 100% certain of that. It would just have to be at a number that wipes their feet, or an acceptable loss/profit.

This just might be the start of what I’ve been hoping for 🤞.