Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Before taking any sides, it would be beneficial to understand which is in favour of buying potential talent, hiring of championship level coaches and keeping their fingers crossed in hope all of the planets will align "project 2130" versus the one where the penny has dropped, on that  particular philosophy being flawed and having a winning squad a top draw coach, bring the rewards of winning the PL, CL football, blue chip sponsorship and increased revenue

Wasn't this discussed when the the prospective buyers were put in front of the Chelsea Fans group during the bidding?

From what I gather we will not fall fowl of the FFP/PSA or whatever the people are called that like to throw us under the financial bus. The books are apparently ok and the authorities have accepted the sale of our hotel to ourselves! So that I suppose, is a very good thing. If City get punished ( as surely they must) and get a significant points deduction , then there could be another CL place up for grabs. 
For me , being punished  was more of a concern than the internal power struggle , which will of course resolve itself at some point. 
Boehly seems to be the preferred fans winner. I actually think he’s an ok guy ( for a billionaire) . But I hadn’t realised how small a stake he had in the club . 13/15% does not maketh the omlette. 
But interesting to see how all parties do not want to sell. What would be more of a worry is if everyone was trying to sell and no one wanted to buy! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But interesting to see how all parties do not want to sell. What would be more of a worry is if everyone was trying to sell and no one wanted to buy! 

I would think that this part might be standard brinkmanship when a buying/selling process takes place. 

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

From what I gather we will not fall fowl of the FFP/PSA or whatever the people are called that like to throw us under the financial bus. The books are apparently ok and the authorities have accepted the sale of our hotel to ourselves! So that I suppose, is a very good thing. If City get punished ( as surely they must) and get a significant points deduction , then there could be another CL place up for grabs. 
For me , being punished  was more of a concern than the internal power struggle , which will of course resolve itself at some point. 
Boehly seems to be the preferred fans winner. I actually think he’s an ok guy ( for a billionaire) . But I hadn’t realised how small a stake he had in the club . 13/15% does not maketh the omlette. 

There's still our TBD punishment for the book issues from Roman's ownership that were found and self reported by the current ownership. That could potentially impact us with respect to a CL place for the future.

38 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

There's still our TBD punishment for the book issues from Roman's ownership that were found and self reported by the current ownership. That could potentially impact us with respect to a CL place for the future.

Didn't impact the team last time, mind you the team was fully of winners and the club was able to promote some very good academy players who had served their time getting minutes in  the championship and PL 

57 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Wasn't this discussed when the the prospective buyers were put in front of the Chelsea Fans group during the bidding?

I doubt anyone at the time, thought this mob would buy such poor players for so much money and give them pension contracts 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don’t reckon the City fiasco will be concluded this season as whatever punishment they get (if any) will be appealed and drag on into next season. 

5 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I don’t reckon the City fiasco will be concluded this season as whatever punishment they get (if any) will be appealed and drag on into next season. 

I’m far from convinced it will go further than a big fine and some sort of suspended punishment based on any further transgressions occurring.

The best legal team (whoever has them, and I know where my money is on there) will get the best outcome/s.

City will possibly cough to some of the more minor charges as part of a ‘deal’.

Edited by east lower
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Agree to disagree, bro. We’ve won the Champions League twice in our history. No offence to us, but we should know our place. We’re not Real Madrid.

For me, it's not about us being up there with a club like Real or anyother club for that matter. It's about us striving as hard as we can to be contenders again instead of accepting being also rans in the league year after year.

Our whole way of playing had become very stale, ultra pragmatic, one dimensional and predictable.  To stand any chance of competing in the league again, the squad needed to be dismantled. Only time will tell if we've bought the right players, but at least the owners  have been brave enough to rip things up and start again and I won't ever criticize them for doing  that!

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, east lower said:

I’m far from convinced it will go further than a big fine and some sort of suspended punishment based on any further transgressions occurring.

The best legal team (whoever has them, and I know where my money is on there) will get the best outcome/s.

City will possibly cough to some of the more minor charges as part of a ‘deal’.

Said all long that the PL will have to do a deal with City.  Their owners probably have expensive lawyers on retainer anyway, so will have no issue fighting them in the Courts for years if the PL try to come up with some draconian punishment.  

I'd say a big fine (which should go down the Pyramid if they are smart), 15-20 points next season and a two window transfer ban from next summer might be reasonable.  Guessing both parties could live with that. 

So fully expect the PL to do something stupid instead. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Surely Clearlake will stick two fingers up at the PL if they try to blast us though?  The new owners self-reported financial irregularities in good faith.  Punishing them for something they had zero control over seems pretty ridiculous 

Irregularities that the Govt, PL, FA & UEFA managed to miss by the way.  And our accounts were scrutinised during the sale process. More than other clubs. 

If we're punished heavily now then it feels a bit like moving into a new house, finding bodies buried in the garden, reporting it to the Police and their response is to charge you with the murder.  

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

For me, it's not about us being up there with a club like Real or anyother club for that matter. It's about us striving as hard as we can to be contenders again instead of accepting being also rans in the league year after year.

Our whole way of playing had become very stale, ultra pragmatic, one dimensional and predictable.  To stand any chance of competing in the league again, the squad needed to be dismantled. Only time will tell if we've bought the right players, but at least the owners  have been brave enough to rip things up and start again and I won't ever criticize them for doing  that!

Nope - we didn't have to dismantle the squad. But once the decision was made and they got the wagon rolling, there was nothing brave about it. Anyone with £multi billions could organise a firesale and then replace the real assets with something irregular - that is quite literally the definition of cavalier, not courage.

No club in the history of football has done we we have done in the last 36  months at this speed and scale. Continuity needs to run somewhere alongside a rebuild (a manager, a coach, a director of football - someone with a football mind but the same one throughout). However, we've had 3 and a half coaches, homegrown players who know what we are forced out, abstract South American acne-faced teenagers roped in, long-term academy staff disruption, chief exec's coming and going via the revolving door, and now instability between the ownership.

We've no identity on or off the pitch, but that is no wonder with such volatility. Absolutely nothing brave with what is going on - it is bloody mental and it is dangerous.

Edited by KingThistle

Anyone else read the lastest article in The Athletic? This is unraveling fast it looks like, what a complete mess.

Who the hell knows where we are going to go from here? I know one thing for certain and that if you end up being owned 100% by private equity you are fucked in all kinds of ways. At least there's been others to restrain Eghbali's trading operations until now but if they all go and Eghbali gets unrestricted control its just going to be over for this football club.
If Boehly/Walter manage to boot Eghbali out I can see us finding some stability and start to do better though. Fingers crossed that is what happens!

Edited by MickyDroy
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Eghbali and Winstanley wanted Mudryk and Fernandez?

Lets hope Boehly wins. 

Hmm, they probably wanted Palmer, Caicedo, Lavia and Gusto too...

Whereas Todd bought Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Sterling on his watch... Cucurella has been a success, not really any of the others.

Transfers are more or less a lottery. To pretend much else, when the hard fact is that only 44% of all transfers are viewed as a success, is probably not sensible (not suggesting you were saying that btw).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Whereas Todd bought Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Sterling on his watch... Cucurella has been a success, not really any of the others.

Transfers are more or less a lottery. To pretend much else, when the hard fact is that only 44% of all transfers are viewed as a success, is probably not sensible (not suggesting you were saying that btw).

He probably just wanted to make a splash and he was hardly in the door so turned to known, proven players who were available that he'd heard of.

Koulibaly, Auba and Sterling on paper were good quality players with a history of success. They were ones you couldn't predict wouldn't work out imo.

Enzo was a mistake many have made before - sign the starlet of a world cup. See James Rodriguez...always a risk. And an expensive one.

Mudryk was quite a quite obviously mental move.

44% success. I reckon your Koulibalys, Sterlings and Aubas would deliver that...if not slightly better. Proven in top leagues, teams and under good managers.

Punts on players with no track record, longevity in the game or in good leagues. I reckon you'd be lucky to get 25% success.

Edited by ChelseaJambo
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Couldn’t disagree more bro. But ok 🫶

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

It’s not a good analogy though. Todd stupidly bought players for Tuchel then sacked him. I could easily imagine Sterling Kouli and even Auba performing at a much higher level for Tuchel had he stayed. But those transfers were always transitional. And because we stupidly sold our experienced players quickly, it made sense to get some of them in, even if it made no sense to buy them for Tuchel and then sack him.

The context of the Egbhali transfers are so different that it doesn’t warrant comparison

56 minutes ago, ChelseaJambo said:

44% success. I reckon your Koulibalys, Sterlings and Aubas would deliver that...if not slightly better. Proven in top leagues, teams and under good managers.

Punts on players with no track record, longevity in the game or in good leagues. I reckon you'd be lucky to get 25% success.

Even more bro. Also to divorce the transfers from how the club is functioning makes no sense. Almost all of Arsenal’s transfers at the moment look inspired because of how well they are functioning. Liverpool and city somewhat similar. I don’t know where this 44% comes from.

3 hours ago, KingThistle said:

Nope - we didn't have to dismantle the squad. But once the decision was made and they got the wagon rolling, there was nothing brave about it. Anyone with £multi billions could organise a firesale and then replace the real assets with something irregular - that is quite literally the definition of cavalier, not courage.

No club in the history of football has done we we have done in the last 36  months at this speed and scale. Continuity needs to run somewhere alongside a rebuild (a manager, a coach, a director of football - someone with a football mind but the same one throughout). However, we've had 3 and a half coaches, homegrown players who know what we are forced out, abstract South American acne-faced teenagers roped in, long-term academy staff disruption, chief exec's coming and going via the revolving door, and now instability between the ownership.

We've no identity on or off the pitch, but that is no wonder with such volatility. Absolutely nothing brave with what is going on - it is bloody mental and it is dangerous.

Outstanding post!

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

Before taking any sides, it would be beneficial to understand which is in favour of buying potential talent, hiring of championship level coaches and keeping their fingers crossed in hope all of the planets will align "project 2130" versus the one where the penny has dropped, on that  particular philosophy being flawed and having a winning squad a top draw coach, bring the rewards of winning the PL, CL football, blue chip sponsorship and increased revenue

Let’s be honest, neither side has covered themselves in glory, in fact have been a disaster from day one, but I also can’t help feeling that Boehly Would be more likely to be convinced to be a sane and functioning owner versus the soulless Egbhali

54 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The context of the Egbhali transfers are so different that it doesn’t warrant comparison

Well it does in as much as TB has had as many transfer successes and mistakes as BE. My point was that that is a very bad metric to be judging them on. I'm not sure anyone here has enough knowledge of either to even guess at judging them against each other.

Let alone be right...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1