Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

27 minutes ago, KingThistle said:

Revisionism - none of those one-word "player summaries" were accurate at the time we won the CL. 

Def: Silva, Rudiger, Azpi, James, Alonso - (S) worldie with more years in him who we miss even now, (R) contract handled appallingly but it was Madrid who came calling and noone turns down the Spaniards, (Az) dutiful and dilligent but past his sell by date, (J) worldie in the making and at the time not crippled by recurring injuries, (Al) reliable but agree he was slow.

Kante, Jorginho - (K) at the time he was the only truly world class player we had, (J) made the midfield tick and criminally underrated

Att - Werner, Havertz, and Mount - (W) raw and debut PL season, (H) time and time again played out of position but oozed class and we can see just how good he is, (M) nothing wrong with his ability but we subsequently see how bad his attitude is/was.

Even if there were failings across some of those players, collectively that was some team. You'd be daft to not want that XI over the one we'll field Saturday night.

Bang on. And of course this could have been built upon. And of course some players would need to be phased out. That is true of any team.

Lot of very interesting and concerned posts trying to see sense and a way forward.

With all the great points made please don't ever forget where the cause of the Chelsea melt down started,🚒

HMG,,HMG..HMG..HMG,,HMG

Edited by chara
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Rudiger - we couldn't offer him a contract thanks to the government

Was never going to stay in a month of Sundays, his head was turned before the sanctions by RM. 

same as his head was turned at Roma. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

@Max Fowler...So..where did the meltdown start and why?..or was it RA's fault for acquiring Chelsea in the first place?..or maybe a madmans's invasion or maybe all down to SFL?

The moment Clearlake took over and decided to rip the band-aid off and rebuild the club from scratch rather than build on what we had.

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The moment Clearlake took over and decided to rip the band-aid off and rebuild the club from scratch rather than build on what we had.

That's one step into the meltdown, not the cause/catalyst. HMG started everything...no sanctions.no slippery slope, no sell off and any issues would have been straight forward day to day business for good or bad.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, chara said:

That's one step into the meltdown, not the cause/catalyst. HMG started everything...no sanctions.no slippery slope, no sell off and any issues would have been straight forward day to day business for good or bad.

I think we had to be taken from RA - whether we like it or not. This was Putin's war and his fault.

Excusing Clearlake because of that is IMO my friend Chara an easy excuse - they could have easily ran this project very differently

11 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think we had to be taken from RA - whether we like it or not. This was Putin's war and his fault.

Excusing Clearlake because of that is IMO my friend Chara an easy excuse - they could have easily ran this project very differently

Where did I excuse Clearlake ?,, separate issue....again..no sanctions no everything else ,,,,the questioning of the justification of sanctions (and the "even hand) more than covered in all aspects so not going there,

Edited by chara
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, chara said:

Where did I excuse Clearlake ?,, separate issue....again..no sanctions no everything else ,,,,the questioning of the justification of sanctions (and the "even hand) more than covered in all aspects so not going there,

IMO mate saying Clearlake was not the catalyst for our failure is excusing them 🙂

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

IMO mate saying Clearlake was not the catalyst for our failure is excusing them 🙂

HMG was the catalyst. Everything else is just a factor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

At the end of the day do you prefer Boehly's model of put the people in charge and let them get on with it, insofar as he was pro-Pochettino. Or do you go with the Clearlake model which is far more hands on and apparently money orientated? One's background is sports, albeit a different sport, and the others are business men, plain and simple.

What is concerning however is that at the beginning both parties were apparently singing the same song, it's a big job, it's a long job, you need patience but we will be great again. Well it would appear that Clerlake blinked first as demonstrated by the sacking of the last manage. Now you can debate all you like whether or not Pochettino was the right man for the job (not for me, not a Chelsea man) but the worrying thing seems to be that there is not A plan. There remains a conflict of opinions at the club.

Do you go with Clearlake and probably remain financially sound, or do you hitch your wagon to Team Boehly and opt for potentially a crazy rollercoaster which may yet crash and burn but alternatively return us some success?

How they can possibly agree on a share valuation to buy each other out is anyone's guess as they are precluded from selling the club by the terms of the acquisition agreement. We are potentially in a bit of a mess.

@Max Fowler...ok ..Clearlake have truly made a pig's ear of their stewardship..plain and simple..the reasons /causes are many,

It still remains that without HMG ,,No Clearlake and their driving Chelsea over the cliff.

Agree to disagree , End of ?

• Love 1
  • Agree 2

I share the sentiment of others. Boehly may not necessarily be a "football man" but he's a sports man, I do genuinely believe he has a good vision for the club that could be developed quickly with the right support around him. I would not be concerned if he was in control with the right support.

After the chaos of the takeover, they were overly reliant on Tuchel for transfers. It's widely documented that he wanted to keep Cech around. It's such a shame Cech went actually, as I think he'd have helped a lot. Which I guess kinda makes sense. Tuchel is a CL winning manager, why wouldn't you trust him? Or at least, why wouldn't you trust him over yourself? He wanted to invest quickly because Tuchel was very adamant that the squad needed it. I mean, that was true... just not all those signings worked as intended. In fact most didn't.

Not saying Boehly is blameless for the situation we're in. I mean ultimately there have been some big blunders from this ownership and it's difficult to ignore that. 

I'd love to actually meet people from the Clearlake side though. Would be very interesting to hear what Eghbali has to say about football.

Edited by Proud-Blue
  • Like 2

Just noticed an interesting phenomenon - because Boehly is essentially able to distance himself from some of the worst excesses of Clearlake in recent months, he actually gets a big bump in popularity rating among the fans because he was previously getting tarred with the same brush as Clearlake. If Boehly disagrees with Clearlake, including things like getting rid of Poch, maybe he has some sense after all.

and at this point Egbhali is the absolute pantomime villain. I have absolutely no belief that that guy cares about us winning - only making money. Boehly also as a sportsman looks better for disagreeing with Clearlake and fans suspect that he might actually care about winning as he has realised that egg Bali doesn’t at all

9 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

3 - 5 additions to the squad below and we would have been in a very good place

----

Goalkeepers:

• Edouard Mendy - keep
  • Kepa Arrizabalaga - Sell
  • Marcus Bettinelli - meh

Defenders:

• Cesar Azpilicueta - keep at least 1 more season as we did
  • Reece James - keep
  • Ben Chilwell - keep 
  • Thiago Silva - keep
  • Marcos Alonso - keep - if not possible then Emerson
  • Trevoh Chalobah - keep
  • Malang Sarr - sell
  • Emerson Palmieri - see Alonso
  • Baba Rahman - sell

Midfielders:

• N'Golo Kante - keep
  • Jorginho - keep
  • Mateo Kovacic - keep
  • Ruben Loftus-Cheek - keep
  • Mason Mount - keep
  • Ross Barkley - sell
  • Billy Gilmour - sell
  • Ethan Ampadu - meh

Forwards:

• Romelu Lukaku - sell
  • Timo Werner - sell
  • Kai Havertz - keep
  • Christian Pulisic - sell
  • Hakim Ziyech - sell
  • Callum Hudson-Odoi - sell
  • Armando Broja - keep
  • Michy Batshuayi - sell

Kinda ignores the nuance of many of these players also having contract situations that needed addressing, by either selling (as we did in some cases), or extending and handing out big wages to those that'd been inconsistent up to that point.

There's also the fact some of these listed as "sell" weren't really sellable to begin with - Kepa, Sarr, Lukaku, etc because of their contracts at the time.

Hard to really ignored these factors because they played a fairly pivotal part in deciding what we were to do with them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Two completely different things. The catalyst, the event that triggered the change at the club and caused the mayhem to begin, was without doubt down to the decision taken by the government to sanction Roman and freeze the running of our club. I don’t see how anyone could disagree that this is the catalyst, the point in time where things changed.

Admitting that does not excuse anything Clearlake did or are doing, that all came later. What it does do is set the scene and context for the early days of their ownership, but the decisions they have made have been entirely theirs and they should be judged on them, however, that should also include the context of the position the club had been in for the months before they came in.

I’m quite bored of reading (not just from you, but from quite a few on here) that if I don’t slate everything related to Clearlake, don’t criticise every decision they’ve made and continue to make and blame them for all negatives to do with the club, it means I am fully supportive of them, agree with everything they do and am excusing them from anything. I can be unhappy and disappointed with decisions they’ve made whilst also understand some of the other decisions they’ve made and try and have some patience to see how certain things unfold. I don’t know why it has to be two camps with extreme views either way, it just stops good discussion around how we want our club to be run and where we’re going etc.

As I mentioned Max, this isn’t aimed solely at you, yours is just the post I’ve quoted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The battles lines are being drawn here.
They each have strengths and weaknesses to their position:

Boehly is winning the PR-war and in every single supporter-poll i've seen almost everyone wants him to win out.
Boehly is the chairman and as for strengths in numbers he's got 3/5s of the owners on his side which will have an impact thought they are all minority owners.

Clearlake doesn't seem that bothered by losing the pr-war and are well aware that they are the majority owner and no one can force them to sell.

Unprecedented situation though, there are new briefs coming out every single day and this is going to come to a head soon.

Boehly leaking that it was in fact Eghbali who sat Tuchel down and suggested the legendary 4-4-3 formation is a bit of comic relief though. And all Clearlake could answer with when Jacobs reached out was "human error" which of course confirms that it happened 🤣