Chelsea owners and board

Max Fowler

Ownership buyout  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to have full ownership of the club?

• Eghbali and Clearlake
    • Todd Boehly
    • Mark Walter
    • Hansjörg Wyss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/24 at 18:00

5 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I have every little doubt that this is the situation. Everything points to Nagelsmann. The timing of his sacking and Potters, the appointment of Lampard, so quick and completely out of the left field. The fact that the two other most likely candidates, Pochettino and Enrique would have probably jumped at the chance to take on Madrid. Also you just can't ignore the two fellas we have that used to be at Leipzig. Everything we have seen, with Enrique and any other rumors are all a smokescreen.

I firmly believe the new man, Nagelsmann, is already in place but can't be announced because of the contract situation with Bayern and he will already be looking at who he wants to stay, who can leave and who he wants to bring in.

I agree with this, I think Nagelsmann is pretty much a done deal. Not sure I agree with it, it's certainly another high-risk appointment imo. But he fits the new owners profile perfectly. 

His willingness to use data to improve, being fairly innovative as a manager, believing social skills are absolute key. In many ways he reminds a lot of Potter but with a higher pedigree. So in many ways the perfect manager if they still believe in that philosophy. 

Will he use 352 or 4231 here? Only time will tell (given he is indeed our choice).

10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I agree with this, I think Nagelsmann is pretty much a done deal. Not sure I agree with it, it's certainly another high-risk appointment imo. But he fits the new owners profile perfectly. 

[SNIP}

Rumours that Enrique (and his advisors) think so too, as he's supposedly now about to have talks with Spurs.

10 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

But do you seriously think the atmosphere didn't impact the level of performances?
Fine - we played terribly when Potter had credit in the bank after a fairly decent start.
But Potter was always dealt a bad hand because the fans hadn't got over Tuchel. 

Once fans decided we didn't like Potter we stopped supporting fully him - regularly booing the team off.
Potter and the team's confidence was shattered every time they played at the bridge.

I am not excusing Potter - I just don't buy that the fans didn't have a massive part to play in him being fired.

It's a results business at the end of the day - but the fans impacted our results massively.

Potter was the ultimate culprit - he needed to keep fans on side with better press conferences and interviews - as well as - of course - tactics and performances.

The atmosphere got incredibly hostile because of his terrible excuses and we just didn't like the guy at all.

No, I don't. We were bad before the atmosphere turned sour. We've also seen equally as toxic atmospheres under previous managers, Sarri and Rafa spring to mind immediately and both still looked more competent in that time.

No one isn't saying that Potter didn't have challenges he inherited or faced during his time here, but you also can't defend the fact we regressed in every department under his management. We looked entirely un-coached with not a single individual showing an ounce of meaningful progression. 

I think you'll find most don't actually dislike Potter, they just don't believe him to be a good enough manager for a top club. This was ALWAYS the concern a lot of folk had when he was appointed. And I think that was quite clearly shown with his small club mentality all too often. 

Either way, he's gone and we move on to the next one. 

Edited by xceleryx
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

No, I don't. We were bad before the atmosphere turned sour. We've also seen equally as toxic atmospheres under previous managers, Sarri and Rafa spring to mind immediately and both still looked more competent in that time.

No one isn't saying that Potter didn't have challenges he inherited or faced during his time here, but you also can't defend the fact we regressed in every department under his management. We looked entirely un-coached with not a single individual showing an ounce of meaningful progression. 

I think you'll find most don't actually dislike Potter, they just don't believe him to be a good enough manager for a top club. This was ALWAYS the concern a lot of folk had when he was appointed. And I think that was quite clearly shown with his small club mentality all too often. 

Either way, he's gone and we move on to the next one. 

I mean I slaughtered Potter on here day after day - I was one of his biggest critics. So you're not debating with a Potter fanboy here - I think it was a terrible decision to hire him and he was never up to the job, he never had the qualifications or personality to take on this role and we should have never fired Tuchel in the first place.

Sarri though, and particularly Rafa, are also examples where fan power also contributed to the manager being sacked.  

Of course people disliked Potter. Fine - he's a nice guy, but his press conferences were appalling - he insulted the intelligence of the fans nearly every time he spoke by lying, giving soundbites and excuse after excuse for bad performances.

It's just common knowledge that his connection to the fans was a huge problem - he didn't sound like the Chelsea manager and so Chelsea fans never took to him, every time we had a bad display he was rinsed on here for what he said afterwards.

When fans scream at Potter to be sacked - the owners listen. End of. There is no football club that is divorced from the fans and Boehly in particular has a close ear to what is going on online and in in the stadium. With the Glazers, fine - they are stubborn and disconnected enough to ignore the incredible fan hatred towards them from their mansions thousands of miles away.

For better or worse - Boehly is a different kind of owner. He walks home after games. Has conversations with fans from within the stadium. Likes tweets saying our players are not good enough, follows Chelsea fan accounts on Twitter etc. We constantly hear from insiders how much he wants to tune into what the fans are saying and take their voices into account.

Did Boehly sack Potter because the fans told him to? Of course not! Or else he would have sacked him months ago. Was it ultimately results and performances that cost Potter? Sure! It's a results based industry at the end of the day.

But again, and we're going round in circles here, the fans affected results and performances because they didn't like Potter, didn't like the circumstances in which he was hired, and didn't like the idea we would be stuck with him for another year.

Did Potter's bad coaching performances turn the fans off in the first place? Yes!!! Once the fans had turned though, they contributed massively to reinforcing the sense that he was not the right man for the job, that he could never turn things around and that the atmosphere was going to be too toxic to continue to function without it eventually turning further against the owners.

Multiple things can be true! People regularly reduce fan influence and think it has no effect - think that the owners aren't gonna listen to whatever the fans say so there's no point in us saying anything. This is just disengagement and apathy. WE HELPED FORCE POTTER OUT! Results may be the ultimate decider but the atmosphere around the club was an enormous factor.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean I slaughtered Potter on here day after day - I was one of his biggest critics. So you're not debating with a Potter fanboy here - I think it was a terrible decision to hire him and he was never up to the job, he never had the qualifications or personality to take on this role and we should have never fired Tuchel in the first place.

Sarri though, and particularly Rafa, are also examples where fan power also contributed to the manager being sacked.  

Of course people disliked Potter. Fine - he's a nice guy, but his press conferences were appalling - he insulted the intelligence of the fans nearly every time he spoke by lying, giving soundbites and excuse after excuse for bad performances.

It's just common knowledge that his connection to the fans was a huge problem - he didn't sound like the Chelsea manager and so Chelsea fans never took to him, every time we had a bad display he was rinsed on here for what he said afterwards.

When fans scream at Potter to be sacked - the owners listen. End of. There is no football club that is divorced from the fans and Boehly in particular has a close ear to what is going on online and in in the stadium. With the Glazers, fine - they are stubborn and disconnected enough to ignore the incredible fan hatred towards them from their mansions thousands of miles away.

For better or worse - Boehly is a different kind of owner. He walks home after games. Has conversations with fans from within the stadium. Likes tweets saying our players are not good enough, follows Chelsea fan accounts on Twitter etc. We constantly hear from insiders how much he wants to tune into what the fans are saying and take their voices into account.

Did Boehly sack Potter because the fans told him to? Of course not! Or else he would have sacked him months ago. Was it ultimately results and performances that cost Potter? Sure! It's a results based industry at the end of the day.

But again, and we're going round in circles here, the fans affected results and performances because they didn't like Potter, didn't like the circumstances in which he was hired, and didn't like the idea we would be stuck with him for another year.

Did Potter's bad coaching performances turn the fans off in the first place? Yes!!! Once the fans had turned though, they contributed massively to reinforcing the sense that he was not the right man for the job, that he could never turn things around and that the atmosphere was going to be too toxic to continue to function without it eventually turning further against the owners.

Multiple things can be true! People regularly reduce fan influence and think it has no effect - think that the owners aren't gonna listen to whatever the fans say so there's no point in us saying anything. This is just disengagement and apathy. WE HELPED FORCE POTTER OUT! Results may be the ultimate decider but the atmosphere around the club was an enormous factor.

Sarri wasn't sacked, we allowed him to join Juventus and he made it through the season despite how toxic things got.. Rafa was hired as an interim manager under hostility from the fans, then left at the end of the season as designed. He survived the 7 or so months he was here despite not being wanted by supporters. So immediately your argument falls flat here. 

As for the bolded bit, that's your projection. Results were never really that good under Potter from the start. Fans being discontent had no bearing on the teams Potter selected, the manner in how we played under him, the players incapable of performing the basics effectively, and so on. And again, Boehly wasn't the one that initiated the process of Potter's firing. It was the football people he employed that felt it was the move to make, which Boehly then trusting those people in place backed and gave the final okay. It was quite clear given just how long Potter struggled here that Boehly was willing to persist, despite the unrest from the majority of the fan base, 

I'm not saying the fans had absolutely zero influence, but it would've been so marginal in the grand scheme of things. If owners hung on every moment of discontent supporters had they've be hiring and firing people every match week. 

End of the day you're going to believe what you choose to believe, and that's entirely fine. We have a difference of opinion on how things came about, none of which really matters in the grand scheme of things as it's a done and dusted situation. 

Edited by xceleryx
Formatting.

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not saying the fans had absolutely zero influence, but it would've been so marginal in the grand scheme of things. If owners hung on every moment of discontent supporters had they've be hiring and firing people every match week. 

End of the day you're going to believe what you choose to believe, and that's entirely fine. We have a difference of opinion on how things came about, none of which really matters in the grand scheme of things as it's a done and dusted situation. 

We're going round in circles - so happy to agree to disagree on this 🙂

Goal.com are claiming that Boehly wanted to bring some guests (with their children) into the dressing room at half-time during the home game with West Ham last September and that Tuchel bared him from doing so.

If this story is true, it just shows how little our new owner understands "soccerball" culture, which also goes a long way to explaining why the new owners believed they and Tuchel were on a 'different page'.

19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Goal.com are claiming that Boehly wanted to bring some guests (with their children) into the dressing room at half-time during the home game with West Ham last September and that Tuchel bared him from doing so.

If this story is true, it just shows how little our new owner understands "soccerball" culture, which also goes a long way to explaining why the new owners believed they and Tuchel were on a 'different page'.

The dressing room culture is completely different in the UK and the States , maybe TB should hire a " Soccer wrangler" who can teach him the finer points ?

I remember seeing a clip of a female journalist having a "locker room" interview with some American football coach whilst the players are wandering around oblivious with their junk out . 

21 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just read that. Maybe a bit of confirmation bias for me, but really makes me more strongly think the issue was just that Tuchel knew what he was doing and Boehly didn't, and Tuchel was very blunt about it. Hopefully the last 7 months have demonstrated to the owners they need to be moving more closely to what competent coaches do and not the other way round.

Apologies for the source, but this is "their" story for now. I'm sure other media will pick up on it in due course.

Todd Boehly confessed that mistakes have been made during his first year in charge of Chelsea since taking over the West London club for £4.25 billion in May, 2022

The Clearlake Capital founder spoke to a room of full of bankers and business associates during a private function at Stamford Bridge just days after the club's exit from the Champions League

The event was reportedly sold as an opportunity to hear the Chelsea owner's visions for the club ahead of the 2023-24 season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11999007/Todd-Boehly-admits-mistakes-4-25-billion-Chelsea-takeover.html

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Apologies for the source, but this is "their" story for now. I'm sure other media will pick up on it in due course.

Todd Boehly confessed that mistakes have been made during his first year in charge of Chelsea since taking over the West London club for £4.25 billion in May, 2022

The Clearlake Capital founder spoke to a room of full of bankers and business associates during a private function at Stamford Bridge just days after the club's exit from the Champions League

The event was reportedly sold as an opportunity to hear the Chelsea owner's visions for the club ahead of the 2023-24 season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11999007/Todd-Boehly-admits-mistakes-4-25-billion-Chelsea-takeover.html

Knowing you're sh!t is hopefully the first step to knowing your sh!t as a club owner.

I too read the ":halftime visit" story..if true says a lot but my distrust of the MEDIA IS ALL ENCOMPASSING SO........

I recall a "publicist" dragging a group of travel journos into our busy hotel kitchen halfway through service and my subsequent meltdown...time and place...

The "Locker Room"...I also recall bad behavior from an interviewed player here with probably the best ever female reporter put down...pm me if you don't know it!

As stated elsewhere..a painful learning process all round but hopefully a forward process.

Joe Cole:

"I have to agree with the suggestion made by Thiago Silva after the game that the squad is too big. "Too many players create problems of their own."

“I can only assume that Paul Winstanley, Laurence Stewart, Christopher Vivell and Joe Shields, the four recruitment directors, can assess the market as well as anyone in that position.

“But who might tell them about the other aspects of what it takes to play for this club? And also, the signs that suggest a player might not be capable?”

"When Petr Cech was part of the last Roman Abramovich administration, I felt sure that there was a connection with the days of the most successful teams of the previous decades. "Who provides that now?”

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bones said:

Joe Cole:

"I have to agree with the suggestion made by Thiago Silva after the game that the squad is too big. "Too many players create problems of their own."

“I can only assume that Paul Winstanley, Laurence Stewart, Christopher Vivell and Joe Shields, the four recruitment directors, can assess the market as well as anyone in that position.

“But who might tell them about the other aspects of what it takes to play for this club? And also, the signs that suggest a player might not be capable?”

"When Petr Cech was part of the last Roman Abramovich administration, I felt sure that there was a connection with the days of the most successful teams of the previous decades. "Who provides that now?”

I think what us supporters really need to take on board is that this is year Zero , the old Chelsea doesn't exist , this is a Chelsea on a new path with a new history to be written . I don't like it but it is what it is and we now have to get on with it. 

15 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think what us supporters really need to take on board is that this is year Zero , the old Chelsea doesn't exist , this is a Chelsea on a new path with a new history to be written . I don't like it but it is what it is and we now have to get on with it. 

And I think this was always going to be rather inevitable once Roman departed. Any new owner/s were always going to have their own vision, want to employ their own people, and so on. Might've been a little  different if we were still winning league titles before Roman departed, but realistically we've largely been a glorified cup side since Conte's time here.

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

And I think this was always going to be rather inevitable once Roman departed. Any new owner/s were always going to have their own vision, want to employ their own people, and so on. Might've been a little  different if we were still winning league titles before Roman departed, but realistically we've largely been a glorified cup side since Conte's time here.

Maybe but weve been CL regulars, won it, won Europa League, FA cups and players in multiple finals. Not bad.

I cant see why having someone elite players from the previous generation would do anything bad to the new regime and their ideas. 

11 hours ago, Bones said:

Maybe but weve been CL regulars, won it, won Europa League, FA cups and players in multiple finals. Not bad.

I cant see why having someone elite players from the previous generation would do anything bad to the new regime and their ideas. 

I agree, it isn't bad. But again, we should be striving to be more than just a cup side. 

There still has to be a role for them I agree, but any past player filling a role still needs to provide something worthwhile that goes beyond just having a Chelsea connection. I'd really love Ashley Cole to remain here in a coaching capacity but I think he's too tied to Frank at this point. 

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not gonna be a "bumper deal" because of the lack of CL football but I imagine that would be a variable within and deal.  

The Sponsorship is a 10 year project 

I'll get my coat