Chelsea 1 Leeds United 0

JaneB

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A one nil win is lovely but he's still clueless every week new faces and new formations it's no wonder they look like strangers. 

Yes. He is appalling. We started well because we have good players, but the selection, ongoing tactical chaos and inability to motivate, or inspire confidence made for a largely tense and timorous performance, which could easily have let Dirty Leeds in for a draw. He is squandering the resources he has been given.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Cannot understand how the lumbering Loftus Cheek consistently gets a start ahead of him. 

50 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Considering he is a CM playing at RWB, I thought he did well today.

Yes RLC did well today.  As to why he gets picked ahead of Gallagher, I suspect discipline (not just in terms of potential yellow or red cards, but tactical discipline) is the reason. 

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Tbh, I don't have any dislike of Arsenal and really enjoyed watching them during the Wenger years. I'd much rather they win the title than the dodgy as fcuk state controlled  City.  Only clubs I can't stand are City, Spurs, West Ham, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle.

Wtf. That is all.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It was impressive, in it's own way, that doubling the number of midfielders on the pitch gave us even less control.

Will say that I thought Fofana was impressive. Assume he hasn't been on  training pitch with the coaching staff too often.

I only disagree with you because we were abjectly poor two weeks ago!

On the last point, I genuinely thought we were worse today, against Southampton at least we did create a chance or two, the second half was absolute dross today - set piece goal excepted.

We don’t press, we sit too deep, we don’t have any patterns in midfield or the last third and the only thing I saw different was in the first half we crossed the ball from the left full-back position or from Stirling - who I thought looked quite bright.

2 minutes ago, east lower said:

On the last point, I genuinely thought we were worse today, against Southampton at least we did create a chance or two, the second half was absolute dross today - set piece goal excepted.

We don’t press, we sit too deep, we don’t have any patterns in midfield or the last third and the only thing I saw different was in the first half we crossed the ball from the left full-back position or from Stirling - who I thought looked quite bright.

Quite. Take away the somewhat random set piece goal by a defender and none of our attacking issues have been resolved. It is extraordinary that Potter remains in place after such a protracted period of incompetence and profligate misuse of the wealth of talent at his disposal. If he thinks he has TOO many resources then he should have the balls to make his pick and live and die by a positive philosophy, not this wishy washy death by a thousand inclusive cuts.

25 minutes ago, east lower said:

We're trying to discern between vaguely different shades of sh*t, aren't we? I think we might just have edged out the Southampton performance but both were pathetic. And I completely agree on the patterns. There is literally no indication that we rehearse or practice anything at Cobham in the week. 

That win takes us 13 clear of the last relegation spot, which (despite my very real worries over the last month) probably is enough. Another 5 or 6 points would confirm it. I think that's all enough for Potter to stay now until May. Not what I want, just don't think even a board/ownership who wanted to sack him would do it during the season once there's nothing substantial riding on it. It's why I've really hoped the stories this week that Potter has had two games, this and Dortmund, to save his job have been nonsense. That he is going to lose his job should be an absolute gimme by now and it really just should be about when is it most optimal for the club and squad to have someone else in charge. And it probably would be from the end of May, with a summer to plan and prepare and when top coaches might not be as worried that they'll have a disaster finish or unprecedented relegation unfairly stuck on their CV.

Leicester next week, no shots on target in their last two games. People convicted of crimes this week should probably be sentenced to watch it.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Haha 1

Amongst all the negatives, there are at least some good signs for the future with our defence. James, Chilly, Forfana and Badiashile have the potential to grow into a genuine top class unit for years to come.

The midfield and attack are still disaster zones, but one step at a time please folks.🙂

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1

A few years ago there was this guy called Mark Robins that scored a goal for United that kept Alex Fergusson in a job, and the rest is history.

Round about the same age too. Just saying.

Edited by Holymoly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Missed the game because I was at a wedding - I'm sure every time I haven't tuned in this season, we've won. Maybe I should skip the Dortmund game.

From the highlights, we looked like we fared better today, but the thread seems to suggest otherwise. Nevertheless, an important 3 points today to at least keep relegation fears at bay.

2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

It was not great but 3 points are significant in both good and bad ways

takes us further from a relegation battle I fear/ed we are entering

or

GP survives a bit longer despite the majority knowing he wont be there, long before next season

I suppose for some people ''while there's life there's hope" so I know what you mean.

Today there was a sign of hope without much life.We won,but it seemed quite hollow to me.

On the one hand we could have won 3-0 on the other it wouldn't have reflected our overall  performance and 1-0 was about right against a poor leeds team.

I would love to ask Potter why he played RLC as a wide player,or why was he a starter in the first place?  and the same can be said of Havertz as a centre forward.

The big money recruits are having little impact,you have to ask why.

This team has no identity  you could be watching any team outside the top six.

I'm beginning to think Boehly and co are digging a hole for us that will take years to get out of.

• Agree 1

3 points are 3 points, not really in a position to complain about that. The performance however was more of the same old stuff we've come to see under Potter, granted I appreciate he finally reverted back to a back three. 

Koulibaly was excellent and my pick for MOTM. He's starting to grow into things a bit more of late which is encouraging to see as I still do believe he can be a good player for us moving forward . 

Chilwell was also excellent and looked far more like his old self, hopefully the beginning of something there too as he finds his feet again. Fofana and Badiashile excellent themselves also. 

Game completely turned however once Potter started making aimless substitutions. He completely imbalanced the side with his introduction of Zakaria and Gallagher for Joao Felix and Sterling. It left Havertz more isolated than usual and literally gave us no upside whatsoever - although I thought Gallagher was bright enough. Then Potter proceeds to unbalance things further with his following substitutes, in the end it we literally resembled a club in the relegation zone trying to hang on for 30 minutes against one of the top dogs in the league. Just not good enough and highlights the sort of mentality Potter has introduced since his arrival. 

Now let's see what the Dortmund performance looks like. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Holymoly said:

A few years ago there was this guy called Mark Robins that scored a goal for United that kept Alex Fergusson in a job, and the rest is history.

Round about the same age too. Just saying.

Are you suggesting we're going to see Potter as Chelsea manager for the next 27 years now? 😑

42 minutes ago, Blue Kratos said:

Hmm?

Sir Graham Potter after Chelsea win the quadruple.

I've gotta stop drinking.

It’s either far too early or you had way too much last night!!!

Must be the exuberance and heady cocktail of a goal and a win fuelling it.

Tuchel said about the importance of confidence during the early part of his tenure.

Wesley Fofana looks a good dressing room personality and I noticed him chest bumping another player yesterday.

The other players running to congratulate him suggests to me the players are behind Potter.

This win might be a turning point we will have to wait and see.